Mystery Location

DaveH

I must admit I didn't see any tie up between these and Sheffield so I must be missing something.

There are many others including Ragntag which sounds familiar.

It seems we have the signs well ahead of the market.

They have been there for around 1 or 2 years now, - ever since they finished the widening and repaving of the Moor area outside the new market site.

Most of the references are to either local history or markets, - as are the signs on the fencing which screens off the current market site on which building is due to take place.

Was it Denby Street School, latterly used as a nursery school. I seem to remember a big campaign to keep it open. Of course they failed, it's obviously much more useful as a water filled hole in the ground.

It just goes to show how high the water-table is in central Sheffield, unless it's filled with sewage from broken drains.

HD

The link below is to an archaeological survey of Denby Street School. It found nothing of major interest (it was on the site of the Corporation Depot No 12 for stone) but there are photos of the school before it was demolished:

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-908-1/dissemination/pdf/arcus2-42096_1.pdf

Nice one; haven't a clue.

Guess - Parkside Road looking towards Catch Bar Lane ...

I'll get mi cooat ...

Over 100 years ago, where was this photo taken ?

Nice one; haven't a clue.

Guess - Parkside Road looking towards Catch Bar Lane ...

I'll get mi cooat ...

No, not Hillsborough.

Can anyone make out what it says on that nearest pole ? Probably need a transport person to tell us something about the style of the tram-power-line-holdie-uppie-thing ...

No, not Hillsborough.

Can anyone make out what it says on that nearest pole ? Probably need a transport person to tell us something about the style of the tram-power-line-holdie-uppie-thing ...

Is the sign a Request Stop ?

Over 100 years ago, where was this photo taken ?

Shoreham St looking towards Bramall Ln football ground

Is the sign a Request Stop ?

According to my "laser" vision the sign says "CARS STOP HERE BY REQUEST"

HD

Shoreham St looking towards Bramall Ln football ground

I'll second that if only because that's what it says on the street sign. ( I told you I'd got laser vision).

HD

I'll second that if only because that's what it says on the street sign. ( I told you I'd got laser vision).

HD

I could not even see the sigh lol

I could not even see the sigh lol

I'm only grateful that the old peepers are as good as they are. Everything else has packed up, my legs, joints, memory, and the waterworks. From an early age I was extremely short-sighted and by peering very closely at old postcards I could make out tiny details. A chap at work used to try to catch me out with tiny detail on old photos but he didn't suceed.

A few years ago I had lens implants and after that I could read right down to the bottom of the chart without glasses.

I have to use reading glasses or a magnifier now for close work because my eye muscles can't stretch the artificial lenses.

HD

I spent many years peering at Victorian stamps, sideways on, looking for the plate number printed in the ribbon decoration around the outer edge, made all the more difficult by heavy postmarks - find an 1840's Penny Red image and give it a go - I could barely see the stamp these days.

I'm only grateful that the old peepers are as good as they are. Everything else has packed up, my legs, joints, memory, and the waterworks. From an early age I was extremely short-sighted and by peering very closely at old postcards I could make out tiny details. A chap at work used to try to catch me out with tiny detail on old photos but he didn't suceed.

A few years ago I had lens implants and after that I could read right down to the bottom of the chart without glasses.

I have to use reading glasses or a magnifier now for close work because my eye muscles can't stretch the artificial lenses.

HD

Guest plain talker

Prompted by Steves post, has this house been rebuilt, it certainly looks different to the others in the row

View Larger Map

No, I believe it hasn't been rebuilt, if you look at the picture with the horse and carriage the smaller roofline is the same, and the doors and the bay-windows correspond.

it certainly looks as if it has been rendered, and painted, as well as a new roof, but it's the same house

No, I believe it hasn't been rebuilt, if you look at the picture with the horse and carriage the smaller roofline is the same, and the doors and the bay-windows correspond.

it certainly looks as if it has been rendered, and painted, as well as a new roof, but it's the same house

Like you say PT, here it is the house in 1890.

The wall seen in the background, behind the horse & cart is surrounding the gardens of Clough House.

Not very far away from

No fooling you is there? Ill wait a bit longer to reveal all unless you would like to do it SteveHB?