Mystery Location

DaveH

I suppose the logical next step is to find the "why's and wherefores" of it having been a WMC.

I haven't found anything written about it up to now.

Well looks like you have the location, so how does the WMC fit in

I've not the foggiest where it is.

I went traipsing most of the streets around London Road, Little Sheffied and Highfields looking for it,

also searched on Google street for hours, never found the building.

Somewhere near to Bramall Lane ?

I went traipsing most of the streets around London Road, Little Sheffied and Highfields looking for it,

also searched on Google street for hours, never found the building.

Somewhere near to Bramall Lane ?

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=abbeydale+road&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=19.648276,57.084961&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Abbeydale+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S7,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.355572,-1.485246&amp;spn=0.009347,0.027874&amp;t=m&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.363494,-1.477169&amp;panoid=RPLjTmdNCiwrTw-IQhL-dg&amp;cbp=12,322.67,,0,-1.96&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=abbeydale+road&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=19.648276,57.084961&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Abbeydale+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S7,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.355572,-1.485246&amp;spn=0.009347,0.027874&amp;t=m&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.363494,-1.477169&amp;panoid=RPLjTmdNCiwrTw-IQhL-dg&amp;cbp=12,322.67,,0,-1.96" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

This should help

Right answer HD, how did you know ?

I could see the carved stone sign above the pub door, the one that still exists today, a bit nearer the ground and which I pass at 8 mph many times..

A quick look on Picture Sheffield confirmed it.

HD

I could see the carved stone sign above the pub door, the one that still exists today, a bit nearer the ground and which I pass at 8 mph many times..

A quick look on Picture Sheffield confirmed it.

HD

...and carved into this stone it says "The Grouse & Trout, Redmires"

;-) lol

Having looked on PictureSheffield, I would only ever have got it after being provided with the full answer and several line drawings and a letter from the publicans Mum.

It was a JOKE Richard!!!

Hence the lol lol lol lol lol

Having looked on PictureSheffield, I would only ever have got it after being provided with the full answer and several line drawings and a letter from the publicans Mum.

Quite an achievement from Mr.HD, I thought a correct answer would have been impossible without the addition of more clues.

...and carved into this stone it says "The Grouse & Trout, Redmires"

;-)lol

Not quite but it does feature a shield bearing 3 trout with a grouse perched on top. And it is at Redmires.

Talking about grouse I walked past a small forest of cut christmas trees outside our local greengrocers just before Christmas.

I was startled when a red grouse suddenly flew up from within them shouting it's "go back, go back" call very loudly.

It must have thought it had found found another little wood, it flew over onto the golf course.

At least it wasn't a partridge in a pear tree. :o

HD

I think I might know. Is it in a public park, and when you were there in 1972 this facade was very different?

It was a private residence on the outskirts of Sheffield. In 1972 there were no grounds as in the photo.

The house had been taken over by 'industry' (without giving too much away)

At first I thought it was Middlewood Hall but looking on the Library Pictures

it seems above the door is different.

Middlewood Hall

just done a search on Picture Sheffield and there are no images of this place

It was a private residence on the outskirts of Sheffield. In 1972 there were no grounds as in the photo.

The house had been taken over by 'industry' (without giving too much away)

That's me out then. Back to the 'thinking chair'...!

just done a search on Picture Sheffield and there are no images of this place

Around four and a half miles east of Sheffield City Center

That's me out then. Back to the 'thinking chair'...!

I seem to spend much more time on the "naughty step" than I do in the "thinking chair".

Despite the best efforts of my dear wife I steadfastly refuse to "grow up" or "act my age".

I've come to the conclusion that a sense of humour is something mostly confined to the male of the species.

Present company excepted of course.

Goes back to naughty step and waits for the wrath to come. lol

HD