Mystery Location

DaveH

Any Ideas on this well known place?

ps. note the young tree growing out of the tower.

It's the Howard Hotel.

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;q=sheffield&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;t=m&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.378341,-1.46464&amp;panoid=c8fGYkrDtgTCyNJjlwg5vw&amp;cbp=13,262.86,,1,-16.34&amp;ll=53.373459,-1.464958&amp;spn=0.016079,0.048237&amp;z=14&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;q=sheffield&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;t=m&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.378341,-1.46464&amp;panoid=c8fGYkrDtgTCyNJjlwg5vw&amp;cbp=13,262.86,,1,-16.34&amp;ll=53.373459,-1.464958&amp;spn=0.016079,0.048237&amp;z=14&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Has the feel of the Church near Havelock Square - can't name it, or the street, Broomhall Street ?? (Complete guess to start us off and to show we don't mind complete guesses).

Has the feel of the Church near Havelock Square - can't name it, or the street, Broomhall Street ?? (Complete guess to start us off and to show we don't mind complete guesses).

Can anyone help Richard out with the name of this Church ?

Stuart0742 has got the right church in his modern view but I don't think it's St. Andrews Upper Hanover Street ( Hanover Way ).

St. Andrews has not got a street down the side and the doorway is in the wrong place.

I think it is St. Silas Church, Broomhall Street.

Incidently, has anyone else noticed the very modern looking scaffold system in front of the last shop on the right.

It looks very like present day Zip-Up staging.

HD

Stuart0742 has got the right church in his modern view but I don't think it's St. Andrews Upper Hanover Street ( Hanover Way ).

St. Andrews has not got a street down the side and the doorway is in the wrong place.

I think it is St. Silas Church, Broomhall Street.

Incidently, has anyone else noticed the very modern looking scaffold system in front of the last shop on the right.

HD

Yes it is St. Silas, looking down Broomhall Street from the junction of William Street,

the buildings in the foreground left are still standing.

HD

Is the person wearing P.W.D. painters overalls ?

Is the person wearing P.W.D. painters overalls ?

I hope he's got some good wedges under the far wheels of that thing or he'll be be in the city centre before he knows it.

Reminds me of the Last of the Summer Wine episode where Seymore removes the wedge and the painter finishes up in the river.

HD

Doctor, my eyes ...

And it just happens that in 1925,

there was a Charles Fras, Riley, decorator at number 229 Broomhall Street,

229 is the one pictured, (this side of) St. Silas & Hanover Street.

Coincidence, or what .. :)

Could that be him,

painting up some sort of large frame work on the outside his shop..

Could Neill make a bit for the forum by offering its services to News International? Who needs private detectives...