Mystery Location

DaveH

Would that be from the Town Hall or the GPO ?

(Hmm . . . no smiley so I'm thinking thats a genuine question . . . . how accurate does he want it? . . . on my map the Town Hall and GPO are 1/4 mile apart . . . I'll play for time, like Wednesday when its 0-0 with 5 minutes to go)

Is the GPO still in Fitzalan Square Steve? The map I'm using is quite old. :rolleyes:

(Hmm . . . no smiley so I'm thinking thats a genuine question . . . . how accurate does he want it? . . . on my map the Town Hall and GPO are 1/4 mile apart . . . I'll play for time, like Wednesday when its 0-0 with 5 minutes to go)

:rolleyes:

Cor, you don't 'alf take advantage of being half the world away! :o

Where is Sheffield City Center, is it Fitzalan Square (GPO) the new Town Hall or the Cathedral,

or could it be a large area combining all three ?

timestamp='1328869462' post='102390']

Where are distances between towns measured from?

London has this, I wonder if we have or have had anything similar

Where are distances between towns measured from?

I think it varies from place to place. If I remember rightly there's a milepost by the entrance to the car park at the Norfolk Arms at Ringinlow that says 5 miles to Sheffield Town Hall.(Waits for Richard to ask "Which Town Hall"?)

Someone posted a milestone at Alfreton which says "Alfreton 0 Miles", but it stands at the main crossroads, which I assume is the accepted centre of the town, and the milestone marks the point from which distances are taken.

The last time I was at this place was in 1972. I know a little about it's history. Does anyone recognise it?

Orgreave Hall ?

HD

It's got to be Rotherwood Hall then.

HD

Thats it HD. I raised the subject 12 months ago and this is a copy of one of the posts:

Hello,

Well I have some more info on Rotherwood Hall, my Grandfather lived there until he died in the 40's. I have plenty of images of my family there. We went back in the 90's and it had been demolished except the greenhouses, the stonework had been mainly removed. Father was a little upset about it.

After Grandfather died it was turned into offices, he was the President of the company for quite a while and I have a lot of newspaper cuttings ect relating to his life.

I now live in the USA.

Drop me a line if you wish.

Cheers,

James.

So I sent him an email and he sent back 2 photographs and more info about his forebears who lived at Rotherwood Hall. I urged him to share it on SH but he stopped corresponding after that. The other photo is a fabulous shot of his mother in an Aston Martin outside Rotherwood but it is a bit more personal and I'm reluctant to put it out there without his permission.

Hopefully one day he will join the forum again and share more of his family history.

An easy one this time.

Where in Sheffield is this rather interesting bridge ?

Obviously a road runs under it but what is slightly unusual in the Sheffield region about what goes over it ?

HD

An easy one this time.

Where in Sheffield is this rather interesting bridge ?

Obviously a road runs under it but what is slightly unusual in the Sheffield region about what goes over it ?

HD

Another Road.

Stumperlow Crescent Road crosses Storth Lane

---------------------------------------

Been there - done that :)

Another Road.

Stumperlow Crescent Road crosses Storth Lane

---------------------------------------

Been there - done that :)

Whoops, my excuse is that your post dates from around the time that I joined the forum.

Incidently, there is something else unusual about the road that crosses above.

It's both a Crescent and a Road ! :rolleyes:

HD

Ok, any help with this one please?

Remember the query about the building on Lescar Lane?

Well here are a couple more photos from one of the albums. This time the album is entitled "Norton, Beauchief, Ecclesall". (Just to add a bit of confusion there's a view of Fulwood in it, but I think that's a stray!) Most of the others in it are of Millhouses, Norton Hammer, and the Sheaf.

Like the Lescar Lane photo, they were taken around 1900, give or take a few years. Not necessarily both of the same place.

Ok, any help with this one please?

Remember the query about the building on Lescar Lane?

Well here are a couple more photos from one of the albums. This time the album is entitled "Norton, Beauchief, Ecclesall". (Just to add a bit of confusion there's a view of Fulwood in it, but I think that's a stray!) Most of the others in it are of Millhouses, Norton Hammer, and the Sheaf.

Like the Lescar Lane photo, they were taken around 1900, give or take a few years. Not necessarily both of the same place.

I think the top picture may be a side / back view of Banner Cross Hall. Photos on Picture Sheffield show round and square towers which can be seen on your photo.

HD

Any Ideas on this well known place? ps. note the young tree growing out of the tower.

I know where that is, I can see it from my kitchen window.