Wellington Street.

Greenup & Thompson Ltd. printers.

---- Backftelds ----

18a, De Gray & Co., herbalists.

18a, Benton James, herbalis.t

---- Carver Street ----

Cambridge Street.

---- Bethel Walk ----

32 Killeen, Rothwell & Co. Ltd., cap manufacturers.

32 Giadwin Benjamin Ltd., paper merchants.

34 Sheffield Metal & Wire Co. Ltd., (The), metal merchants.

38 Platts Thomas Augustus, vict. ()

---- Wellington Street ----

Numbering going the other way to what I said; however 80+ years apart + new streets + renumbering ... take some untangling this one.

Samuel Wilson, Vict. Barleycorn, 38 Coalpit Lane White's 1852

Thomas Barker, Blacksmith, 38 Coalpit Lane White's 1833

Still need to consider new roads, renumbering and is that address Coalpit Lane or Wellington Street ?

1890, the Barleycorn stands back from Cambridge Street, as seen in the 1901 image, post

notice there is no sign of Wellington Street.

Then the hunt is on for Wellington Street; did it exist and get built over; perhaps in the redevelopment of Cambridge Street ? Palethorpe needs some explaining, fascinating. Needs a better intellect than the remnants of mine :unsure:

1890, the Barleycorn stands back from Cambridge Street, as seen in the 1901 image, post

notice there is no sign of Wellington Street.

Then the hunt is on for Wellington Street; did it exist and get built over; perhaps in the redevelopment of Cambridge Street ? Palethorpe needs some explaining, fascinating. Needs a better intellect than the remnants of mine :unsure:

Looking at maps, Wellington Street existed in 1890, but it terminated at Carver Street.

My old bank (HSBC) on Church street.

Hey that's my old bank as well.

Now if it really is your OLD bank it would have been the Midland Bank and not the HSBC.

It moved from Church Street to Coles Corner and then to Fargate although both of these branches are still currently open and you can go to either for service.

HSBC stands for "Have Some Bloody Cash" as it is the least likely thing they will say to you if you go in asking for a loan! lol

Now if it really is your OLD bank it would have been the Midland Bank and not the HSBC.

Yes, I meant 'old' as in closed, but Midland has been my bank, man and boy. For years, through inertia my account was at the University Branch, which has just become a Sainsbury's.

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent

4 Jul 1896

Agenda for monthly meeting of City Council (8 July)

[second item]

Yes, I meant 'old' as in closed, but Midland has been my bank, man and boy. For years, through inertia my account was at the University Branch, which has just become a Sainsbury's.

Well, this is how I will always remember it, Midland Bank, the sign of the rearing encircled Griffin

In the late 1990's during the changeover it retained the Midland name, but used the HSBC logo

Finally, it is today, the HSBC bank

Although I have my own actynym for HSBC, stated previously, they are not bad as banks go.

HSBC actually stands for Hong kong & Singapore Banking Coprporation

So not really much "British" about it then, - other than both Hong Kong and Singapore were both form parts of the British Empire.

Well, this is how I will always remember it, Midland Bank, the sign of the rearing encircled Griffin

In the late 1990's during the changeover it retained the Midland name, but used the HSBC logo

Finally, it is today, the HSBC bank

Although I have my own actynym for HSBC, stated previously, they are not bad as banks go.

HSBC actually stands for Hong kong & Singapore Banking Coprporation

So not really much "British" about it then, - other than both Hong Kong and Singapore were both form parts of the British Empire.

We've had this argument before. It stands for the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.

HD

We've had this argument before. It stands for the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.

HD

Sorry HD, you are correct.

However I prefer Singapore to Shanghai

Singapore WAS British Empire, Shanghai, being a city on mainland China never has been.

Am I trusting my money with the Chinese? :unsure:

Given the current economic situation, and the growth in the Chinese economy that may not be a bad thing ;-)

Where is the pub that can be seen at the end of ?

It is not in Sheffield.

Here is a clue to the location .. The pub is 'Without a Bar' but not far from 'Within a Bar'