Mystery Location

DaveH

Only 20 yards from where I work, spin the google camera around 90 or so degrees left

So you work in the Private Shop do you ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

So you work in the Private Shop do you ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

Don't tell the wife she thinks I work at the place on the other side of the street lol

Don't tell the wife she thinks I work at the place on the other side of the street lol

Hang on, - I thought that you worked at the place on the other side of the road as well!

So you work in a "private shop" do you? <_<

Doing what? B)

Hang on, - I thought that you worked at the place on the other side of the road as well!

So you work in a "private shop" do you? <_<

Doing what? B)

No Dave I work on the other side of the road

On some railings somewhere around Sheffield.

Another photo I took but can't remember where it is.

Any ideas.

It's attached to the railings that mark the boundary of the old Godfrey Dam. The plaque is located at the bottom of Whitham Road at the point where it curves around into Northumberland Road. The dam was filled in during the sixties I think and the U. of S. playing fields built on it.

HD

No Dave I work on the other side of the road

Sorry Stuart0742, it was my warped sense of humour that started this all off. If legal proceedings are in the offing I have just moved to foreign parts. :rolleyes:

HD

It's attached to the railings that mark the boundary of the old Godfrey Dam. The plaque is located at the bottom of Whitham Road at the point where it curves around into Northumberland Road. The dam was filled in during the sixties I think and the U. of S. playing fields built on it.

HD

I remember now HD

I took it after taking my granddaughter to the museum.

Funny how easy it is to remember things when someone tells you. :)

I remember now HD

When I was a young lad no trip to the museum (or the Dental Hospital) was complete without a look through those railings at the corner down in to the dam.

From what I remember it looked all very overgrown and mysterious. In the same way, no trip to the Farm Grounds was complete without a look through the railings at the bottom of Granville Road at the River Sheaf. Before the roundabout was built it was open right to the bottom of Granville Road. I must have had a fascination with water though nowadays I confine it to taking a little with my scotch.

HD

I remember now HD

Here's a better photograph,

Does anyone know where this is?

I don't know where it is but I think I know what it is.

During WW2 one of the shelter options was to re-inforce the cellar roofs of terraced houses and provide escape hatches about 18" square in the bottom of the party walls at each side. One of the ones in our old house ran below the entry and must have been made as a short tunnel below the entry. After the war they were bricked up. My guess is that the one pictured must have been in an end terrace or detached house where the external ground level was below the top of the cellar. Because of it's external position it would need to be secure. I believe the normal internal ones just had a wooden door.

HD

I don't know where it is but I think I know what it is.

During WW2 one of the shelter options was to re-inforce the cellar roofs of terraced houses and provide escape hatches about 18" square in the bottom of the party walls at each side. One of the ones in our old house ran below the entry and must have been made as a short tunnel below the entry. After the war they were bricked up. My guess is that the one pictured must have been in an end terrace or detached house where the external ground level was below the top of the cellar. Because of it's external position it would need to be secure. I believe the normal internal ones just had a wooden door.

HD

You may well be right but the building has been in situ well before any wars and the access is from the pavement as you can see by the 4 unlocking nuts.and it looks as though it can only be entered from the pavement.

Or, since it is an escape hatch, there would be catches on the inside to open it, while for security it could only be opened from the outside using the appropriate key or spanner?

You may well be right but the building has been in situ well before any wars and the access is from the pavement as you can see by the 4 unlocking nuts.and it looks as though it can only be entered from the pavement.

It's got a 1939 patent number 'so must have been "retrofitted" (what a horrible word) into an existing building which is what you would expect.

It certainly looks like it can be opened from outside (if you remove a load of tarmac) 'so perhaps it was secured by a chain on the inside like many thousands of cellar grates.

I wonder if it's been "borrowed" from it's original location and installed as a rather fancy "coal ole".

HD

It's got a 1939 patent number 'so must have been "retrofitted" (what a horrible word) into an existing building which is what you would expect.

It certainly looks like it can be opened from outside (if you remove a load of tarmac) 'so perhaps it was secured by a chain on the inside like many thousands of cellar grates.

I wonder if it's been "borrowed" from it's original location and installed as a rather fancy "coal ole".

HD

Can be seen on Google Street View, but you will need a keen eye to spot it.

HD

Thats one of the most sensible explainations Ive heard, but the cover looks as though its come straight from the manufacturers as the face of it looks as crisp as the day it was cast.

BY THE WAY ITS ON THE HARRISON FISHER (late Needham Veal & Tyzac) BUILDING ON MILTON ST

Thats one of the most sensible explainations Ive heard, but the cover looks as though its come straight from the manufacturers as the face of it looks as crisp as the day it was cast.

BY THE WAY ITS ON THE HARRISON FISHER (late Needham Veal & Tyzac) BUILDING ON MILTON ST

Isn't it also known as the 'Eye Witness Works' ?

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=53.375893,-1.478589&amp;spn=0.001208,0.002875&amp;t=m&amp;z=19&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.375826,-1.478709&amp;panoid=D0GywUhmxugEVRIrQ3_eHQ&amp;cbp=12,356.82,,0,10.23&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=53.375893,-1.478589&amp;spn=0.001208,0.002875&amp;t=m&amp;z=19&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.375826,-1.478709&amp;panoid=D0GywUhmxugEVRIrQ3_eHQ&amp;cbp=12,356.82,,0,10.23&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Now we know where it is, it seems likely that it was installed in 1939/40. Many roadside firms and shops with suitable cellars were pressed into service as emergency shelters for staff and public. From it's position there were probably steps down into the cellar. I'm not really in a position to go looking but I wonder if there are faded "S within a circle" signs by nearby doors. If the building was brought down by bombing the rescue services would be able to reach trapped survivors from the roadside.

HD

RichardB has just sent me a PM regarding the answer to post # 1578,

(Union Street ?) sorry Richard, but you are wrong, have another try.