Mystery Location

DaveH

It could have been worse, she could have had her thumb over a tube of hydrofluoric acid, not that you would put that in a glass test tube :wacko:

HD

I seem to remember an unverified story told to me by my old A-level chemistry teacher.

It involved a steel works in Sheffield whose factory windows had become grimed up over the years and normal window washing would not remove it.

The idea was to wash the windows with a dilute solution of hydofluoric acid (HF) which would dissolve the surface layer of glass, bringing the grime away with it and leaving a sparkling clean new glass surface on a now slightly thinner pane.

It seemed to work, except it was a breezy day and a few droplets of the diluted HF drifted down into the works car park,

Now, given that acids react vigourously with most metals, and that fluorides are generally water soluble it could easily perforate a car roof with small, droplet sized holes.

I seem to remember an unverified story told to me by my old A-level chemistry teacher.

It involved a steel works in Sheffield whose factory windows had become grimed up over the years and normal window washing would not remove it.

The idea was to wash the windows with a dilute solution of hydofluoric acid (HF) which would dissolve the surface layer of glass, bringing the grime away with it and leaving a sparkling clean new glass surface on a now slightly thinner pane.

It seemed to work, except it was a breezy day and a few droplets of the diluted HF drifted down into the works car park,

Now, given that acids react vigourously with most metals, and that fluorides are generally water soluble it could easily perforate a car roof with small, droplet sized holes.

When I worked at Stocksbridge Steelworks there was a problem with the electrostatic precipitators which were supposed to clean the fume from the arc furnaces. It was raining at the time and all the cars in the staff car parks were covered in brown spots.

When it was discovered that the spots wouldn't wash off all hell broke out.

The chemistry lab's solution was to issue the owners of affected cars with a plastic bag of oxalic acid crystals. This was to be dissolved in a bucket of warm water and used to wash the car. My pal used a galvanised bucket and it brought it up like new.

There was no advice about safety precautions that I remember but I don't think anybody died as a result.

HD

When I worked at Stocksbridge Steelworks there was a problem with the electrostatic precipitators which were supposed to clean the fume from the arc furnaces. It was raining at the time and all the cars in the staff car parks were covered in brown spots.

When it was discovered that the spots wouldn't wash off all hell broke out.

The chemistry lab's solution was to issue the owners of affected cars with a plastic bag of oxalic acid crystals. This was to be dissolved in a bucket of warm water and used to wash the car. My pal used a galvanised bucket and it brought it up like new.

There was no advice about safety precautions that I remember but I don't think anybody died as a result.

HD

Oxalic acid (modern name ethandioic acid) is the toxic acid present in rhubarb (but mainly in the leaves which are not eaten)

Have you noticed how if you boil rhubarb in a saucepan, particularly one made of a more reactive metal like aluminium, how clean it leaves the pan afterwards.

I think they are working on the same effect here to clean the cars.

I just wipe away the accumulated muck off the current RichardB-mobile-wreck with pork-pie jelly - works a treat and you can always lick a wing mirror if you are hungry !

Oxalic acid (modern name ethandioic acid) is the toxic acid present in rhubarb (but mainly in the leaves which are not eaten)

Have you noticed how if you boil rhubarb in a saucepan, particularly one made of a more reactive metal like aluminium, how clean it leaves the pan afterwards.

I think they are working on the same effect here to clean the cars.

I just wipe away the accumulated muck off the current RichardB-mobile-wreck with pork-pie jelly - works a treat and you can always lick a wing mirror if you are hungry !

And add a bottle of coke , that cleans all sorts of things especially oil off the garage floor and brightens up your loose change. lol

And add a bottle of coke , that cleans all sorts of things especially oil off the garage floor and brightens up your loose change. lol

Isn't it strange how people will tell you that coke will clean all sorts of things and leave them sparkling, BUT should you happen to be drinking it they will tell you that it will stain your teeth and rot them.

perhaps it should be remarketed as a cleaning fluid rather than a drink, <_<

Isn't it strange how people will tell you that coke will clean all sorts of things and leave them sparkling, BUT should you happen to be drinking it they will tell you that it will stain your teeth and rot them.

perhaps it should be remarketed as a cleaning fluid rather than a drink, <_<

Yes I agree with that Dave, it would make more sense. Just imagine what it does to the stomach. :wacko:

Yes I agree with that Dave, it would make more sense. Just imagine what it does to the stomach. :wacko:

On that thought perhaps we had better return to a new mystery location, - or at least solve this one which some people seem to know anyway.

Not so much a mystery location but a mystery item, I suppose the location comes into the second part of the question

Two questions

What is it?

Where is it? (within Sheffield)

DaveH I think I told you the other day, you can't have a go yet

Photo taken today 14/12/08

Before somebody else says it no I have not lost an umbrella

Isnt this an old petrol pump that used to be at the Fox House Inn?

Isnt this an old petrol pump that used to be at the Fox House Inn?

Hi Tozzin

this one was some time ago, I sure the answer is somewhere in this topic

I think you are correct with "What it is"

Location is a bit more South East Sheffield and within the Present City Boundary

(There again so is Fox House I think)

Does that infer something has been demolished ? or an area cleared ? There is some brick wall and some well grown tree-fellas ... and lots of beams to stop it all falling in, i.e. not a clue.

That is what I thought on first sight, probably been hidden from public view for a lot of years.

Does that infer something has been demolished ? or an area cleared ? There is some brick wall and some well grown tree-fellas ... and lots of beams to stop it all falling in, i.e. not a clue.

Yes the area has been cleared of old buildings, I am stood on a bridge overlooking the river,

the bridge is used by vehicles but is not a highway, as such.

Complete guess sent via PM, I've no idea what's been cleared and what hasn't - it's been a while - 30 years at the end of this month ...

Yes the area has been cleared of old buildings, I am stood on a bridge overlooking the river,

the bridge is used by vehicles but is not a highway, as such.

Complete guess sent via PM, I've no idea what's been cleared and what hasn't - it's been a while - 30 years at the end of this month ...

Wrong answer Richard, this Mystery Locacation is in the Town Center

Wrong answer Richard, this Mystery Locacation is in the Town Center

More than half a lifetime away, if it's been uncovered/exposed since 1981 I'm unlikely to get it - will follow with interest though.

There are bits of wooden batten attached to at least one of the universal I beams. The only possible reason for these that I can think of was that wooden boarding was nailed to these at some time. So perhaps there was a building above the stream at some time. A while ago looking at the size of the trees. I would guess the Porter Brook somewhere near Shoreham Street.

Am I getting warm ?

HD

There are bits of wooden batten attached to at least one of the universal I beams. The only possible reason for these that I can think of was that wooden boarding was nailed to these at some time. So perhaps there was a building above the stream at some time. A while ago looking at the size of the trees. I would guess the Porter Brook somewhere near Shoreham Street.

Am I getting warm ?

HD

Near enough HD, it is in the car park next to BBC Radio Sheffield, extends to upto Sidney Street,

the Porter ran under a yard and buildings that were once the City Saw Mills.

Here

Sidney Street in the background

Near enough HD, it is in the car park next to BBC Radio Sheffield, extends to upto Sidney Street,

the Porter ran under a yard and buildings that were once the City Saw Mills.

Here

Sidney Street in the background

I seem to remember several people coming to grief at that spot, years ago. Boozed up revellers staggering across the car park would jump over the wall not realizing there was a sizeable drop down into the stream. I'm not sure but I think there might have been a fatality once.

HD

Oh, Good Grief ! :wacko:

Hang on a minute,

"Where can the following section of river be seen" was the question

"Oh Good Grief" is the answer!

Now we have got a topic on here called "Where are the following districts of Sheffield?"

I have not come across anywhere in Sheffield known as "Oh Good Grief"

It was a comment, not an attempt at an answer, as in "Oh Good Grief - what chance do I have of working this one out ?"

"Oh Good Grief" is the answer!