Mystery Location

DaveH

It was a comment, not an attempt at an answer, as in "Oh Good Grief - what chance do I have of working this one out ?"

Well, it's on a river in Sheffield so that narrows it down a bit.

River looks too small to be the mighty Don, so that only leaves 4.

Steve has been doing a fair bit of posting in the topic about the confluence of the Sheaf and Porter in the last day or so.

These are also the rivers closest to where Steve lives and of which he would have the greatest knowledge and photographic coverage.

So I would guess at, to narrow it down a bit further, that this is somewhere along the course of either the Sheaf or Porter.

Well, it's on a river in Sheffield so that narrows it down a bit.

River looks too small to be the mighty Don, so that only leaves 4.

Steve has been doing a fair bit of posting in the topic about the confluence of the Sheaf and Porter in the last day or so.

These are also the rivers closest to where Steve lives and of which he would have the greatest knowledge and photographic coverage.

So I would guess at, to narrow it down a bit further, that this is somewhere along the course of either the Sheaf or Porter.

Looks like Hilldweller beat me to it with the answer.

But I just wanted to give Richard some of my DaveH lateral thinking approach on how to answer a question about a place you haven't seen for 30 years.

I narrowed the answer down just by thinking about who had posted it (SteveHB) and what else he had been posting about recently.

The Porter still has a visible section just of St. Mary's gate near Mothercare and Staples car park.

How many places in the town centre are there where the Sheaf / Porter are visible and directly accessible on the surface and not hidden in underground culverts?

How about a map highlighting the surface sections of the rivers and then joining them up with a different highlighting to indicate their underground paths?

The Porter still has a visible section just of St. Mary's gate near Mothercare and Staples car park.

How many places in the town centre are there where the Sheaf / Porter are visible and directly accessible on the surface and not hidden in underground culverts?

How about a map highlighting the surface sections of the rivers and then joining them up with a different highlighting to indicate their underground paths?

I did something similar to this a couple of years ago to plot the underground course of the Jervis Lum stream all the way from its source at the top of Hurlfield right down through the Arbourthorne, Norfolk Park Estate and into town where it meets the Sheaf.

Perhaps we should extend this idea to other rivers / streams which are "hidden"

Keyboard was driving me mad; changed batteries = less mad.

Nowt wrong with a bit of singeristing now and again.

So it was just a typing / keyboard error then?

I thought it was part of one of your cryptic lateral thinking posts that I was supposed to reason out what you were meaning.

Near enough HD, it is in the car park next to BBC Radio Sheffield, extends to upto Sidney Street,

the Porter ran under a yard and buildings that were once the City Saw Mills.

Here

Sidney Street in the background

I worked at George Butlers on Sidney St and the firm backed on to the Porter and one day I was working in a shop overlooking the Porter and a fire had started on the beams over the River and I was lucky enough to put it out, if you want to give me a bravery award you can but I was four floors up at the time, I just threw a bucket of water on the flames! By the way the wood that was on the steel beams was just old railway sleepers and they were not fixed down in any way and this was in the early seventies.

I worked at George Butlers on Sidney St and the firm backed on to the Porter and one day I was working in a shop overlooking the Porter and a fire had started on the beams over the River and I was lucky enough to put it out, if you want to give me a bravery award you can but I was four floors up at the time, I just threw a bucket of water on the flames! By the way the wood that was on the steel beams was just old railway sleepers and they were not fixed down in any way and this was in the early seventies.

What an interesting story, thanks.

Members of Heeley Cycling Club,

this photograph was taken around 1900,

I have a very good idea to the location that this photograph was taken.

Anyone else recognise the building ?

(this 'well known house' is still standing)

This 'un?

There was a film on tv years ago by Alan Bennett about a cycling club outing to Fountains Abbey, set just before WW1. It was very funny, but with a poignant end, with the few remaining members gathered around a war memorial after the war.

This 'un?

There was a film on tv years ago by Alan Bennett about a cycling club outing to Fountains Abbey, set just before WW1. It was very funny, but with a poignant end, with the few remaining members gathered around a war memorial after the war.

Good grief Bayleaf! And here was I was thinking that this would be a difficult question.

Ruskin Museum in Meersbrook Park is the correct answer, well done sir.

This 'un?

Seem to vaguely remember seeing that film, anyone know what it was called please?

Good grief Bayleaf! And here was I was thinking that this would be a difficult question.

Ruskin Museum in Meersbrook Park is the correct answer, well done sir.

I cannot tell a lie, many years ago, before I was given time off for good behaviour, I used to go to meetings there, so I thought it looked familiar!

Seem to vaguely remember seeing that film, anyone know what it was called please?

I've a vague recollection it was just called The Outing, but I'm not sure.

Found it! Called A Day Out

Thanks Bayleaf,

a brief view here ..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dCgF3l9pKQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is it Canning Street off Division Street?

Well binsted71, of course it is Canning Street,

well done.

The box of Christmas crackers are in the post :)

I'm still struggling with this one and I've read the answer and seen the modern picture !

Is it Canning Street off Division Street?

I'm still struggling with this one and I've read the answer and seen the modern picture !

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=canning+st,norton&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=19.648276,57.084961&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Canning+St,+Norton,+Sheffield+S1+3,+United+Kingdom&amp;t=m&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.379691,-1.475918&amp;panoid=0P5Bi3CxMLvTbqe6vxLU_Q&amp;cbp=13,188.17,,0,-2.33&amp;ll=53.372026,-1.470795&amp;spn=0.016079,0.048237&amp;z=14&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=canning+st,norton&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=19.648276,57.084961&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Canning+St,+Norton,+Sheffield+S1+3,+United+Kingdom&amp;t=m&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.379691,-1.475918&amp;panoid=0P5Bi3CxMLvTbqe6vxLU_Q&amp;cbp=13,188.17,,0,-2.33&amp;ll=53.372026,-1.470795&amp;spn=0.016079,0.048237&amp;z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Only 20 yards from where I work, spin the google camera around 90 or so degrees left