Mystery Location

DaveH

Another one of those that are difficult for those of us who never look up in town!

Those are trees at the bottom right.

We have commented before that there are too many trees in Sheffield these days to take a decent photo any more.

It seems even the City centre is full of trees these days.

Not to mention the tree outside my house on the grass verge between the pavement and the road where branches have grown down the trunk to about 2 feet from the floor. Last time Stuart came around he had a job parking on the road outside my house because of the tree.

Can anyone guess where this building is in Sheffield?

The only reason I know where this is located was because when it was renovated a few years ago I was struck with the cheap methods used to replaced damaged stonework. Instead of cutting away the facings and replacing with stone, they used a cheap-jack application of mortar and trowelled the faces approximately flat again.

From a little way away it doesn't look too bad, but up close it does.

The building is the Sheffield United Gas Company Offices of 1874 situated in Commercial Street. Not sure what it is now but the last time I passed it appeared to be an oriental eatery.

HD

The only reason I know where this is located was because when it was renovated a few years ago I was struck with the cheap methods used to replaced damaged stonework. Instead of cutting away the facings and replacing with stone, they used a cheap-jack application of mortar and travelled the faces approximately flat again.

From a little way away it doesn't look too bad, but up close it does.

The building is the Sheffield United Gas Company Offices of 1874 situated in Commercial Street. Not sure what it is now but the last time I passed it appeared to be an oriental eatery.

HD

That's the one called "No. 1 Oriental"

Inside it looks like an old school hall type dining room, complete with those cast iron radiators schools used to have.

They used to have a very nice "All you can eat for £??" offer

The sign for it was in very broken English and added something like "children under 12 years age or under 4 foot 8 eat free"

Inside it looks like an old school hall type dining room, complete with those cast iron radiators schools used to have.

The sign for it was in very broken English and added something like "children under 12 years age or under 4 foot 8 eat free"

When I was a kid we used to go into that hall to pay the gas bill, the trees by the way are in Shude Hill. We paid the electric bill further down the road on the other side.

HD

When I was a kid we used to go into that hall to pay the gas bill, the trees by the way are in Shude Hill. We paid the electric bill further down the road on the other side.

HD

Trees on Shude Hill :o

In the 1950's wasn't it a dirty, grimey, Victorian industrial looking street with not a plant in sight <_<

In the 1950's wasn't it a dirty, grimey, Victorian industrial looking street with not a plant in sight <_<

It certainly was, I don't know what went off in those buildings that backed onto the Rag & Tag, but from the smell I don't think it was perfume manufacture.

HD

Well I wouldn't have got that - ever.

William Pearce, Secretary to the Gas Company, Shude Hill (Baine's 1822), so they were based there before that building.

Wasn't it once called " The Turn Ups " I remember going to someone's wedding reception there.

Well I wouldn't have got that - ever.

William Pearce, Secretary to the Gas Company, Shude Hill (Baine's 1822), so they were based there before that building.

I think the first gas works was based in Shude Hill. I know there was a large chimney there that caused damage when it toppled during the blitz.

HD

1823 Map shows gas works on either side of Shude Hill.

HD

I had a walk back from town that way today as I haven't been down that area for years and I thought it would make a "pretty route" with all those trees, clean air and clean buildings it has these days.

I wasn't too impressed as the place now has totally no character of its own which of course it did years ago, - but it does look better.

However, on my way back I was amused by this door sign

Come on,

A place for DEAF people.

..and you have to RING A BELL to get their attention :huh:

Surely a visual signal that someone was at the door would be better than an audible one in this situation. <_<

I had a walk back from town that way today as I haven't been down that area for years and I thought it would make a "pretty route" with all those trees, clean air and clean buildings it has these days.

I wasn't too impressed as the place now has totally no character of its own which of course it did years ago, - but it does look better.

However, on my way back I was amused by this door sign

Come on,

A place for DEAF people.

..and you have to RING A BELL to get their attention :huh:

Surely a visual signal that someone was at the door would be better than an audible one in this situation. <_<

Its a visual sign, therefore ok for the deaf.

Who's to say there isn't a visual signal inside

Its a visual sign, therefore ok for the deaf.

Who's to say there isn't a visual signal inside

I think you will find a combination of these things come into play.

Firstly, because it is a center for the deaf doesn't necessarily mean that the people who work there are all deaf.

The receptionist may be able to hear perfectly well.

If you visited an Ex-service-mans club, would you necessarily expect to be served at the bar by ex soldiers ?

Secondly there is possibly a system whereby a light flashes when someone presses the bell push.

My near neighbour has such a system which flashes the lights throughout the house as well as making an audible sound..

Thirdly, not all registered deaf people are profoundly deaf, and may well be able to hear a bell.

I think you will find a combination of these things come into play.

Firstly, because it is a center for the deaf doesn't necessarily mean that the people who work there are all deaf.

The receptionist may be able to hear perfectly well.

If you visited an Ex-service-mans club, would you necessarily expect to be served at the bar by ex soldiers ?

Secondly there is possibly a system whereby a light flashes when someone presses the bell push.

My near neighbour has such a system which flashes the lights throughout the house as well as making an audible sound..

Thirdly, not all registered deaf people are profoundly deaf, and may well be able to hear a bell.

I was aware of this vox, - but I still find signs like this amusing.

Sounds like Stuart has lost his sense of humour a bit.

I once came across a website full of similarly amusing signs and the like.

I don't know where it was but I'll see if I can find it again.

Sounds like Stuart has lost his sense of humour a bit.

Some years ago I accompanied a blind colleague to a meeting at the HQ of the RNIB in London. The entrance has some sort of detector which responds to a person passing the entrance by announcing that this is the entrance to the RNIB. It's on a busy road with lots of traffic, and the announcement responds to increased background noise by upping its volume. We were waiting in the entrance hall to be collected, and a group of staff, probably going for lunch, congregated under the entrance canopy, talking nineteen to the dozen. The volume of the recording increased in response to their chatter, and they gradually increased their volume to be heard over the recording. Unfortunately we had to leave before we saw who won!

I once came across a website full of similarly amusing signs and the like.

I don't know where it was but I'll see if I can find it again.

If people find signs amusing like I do (strangely Stuart doesn't) it gives me an idea for a new topic as I don't really want to put this sort of stuff in the middle of a topic on mystery locations.

If people find signs amusing like I do (strangely Stuart doesn't) it gives me an idea for a new topic as I don't really want to put this sort of stuff in the middle of a topic on mystery locations.

They generally fall into one of two categories, the ones that are intended to be amusing, and ones that are unconsciously so. And then of course there are the ones some 'wag' has altered...

They generally fall into one of two categories, the ones that are intended to be amusing, and ones that are unconsciously so. And then of course there are the ones some 'wag' has altered...

Ones intended to be amusing very seldom are actually that amusing

Ones that some wag (wives and girlfriends??? <_< ) has altered are really someone stating what everyone else was thinking,- and stating the obvious is rarely that funny.

But ones that are unconsciously funny, written in total innocence of their alternative or hidden meaning...

...now they are hillarious!! he helol he he

To think this was the thriving rag & tag and now it's just stood empty.

I'm not sure if it belongs to the council or if it's suppose to be a car park but it always

seems to be deserted. :(

To think this was the thriving rag & tag and now it's just stood empty.

I'm not sure if it belongs to the council or if it's suppose to be a car park but it always

seems to be deserted. :(

A sad and sorry state of affairs.

I still think that there are more than 6 towers on that photo, the heat haze makes it difficult but some of them look too wide to be a single tower.

Anyway you will soon know as according to the Erbex forum last report (May 2011), the demolition men were already back on site and clearing around the tower bases prior to the application of a bit of HE.

Keep looking and if they keep disappearing like 6 green bottles, then you are correct.

I look every morning HD and they're still there.

There seems to be quite a bit of foreground that could be identified and with an OS map and a 12 inch rule you should be able to pinpoint the direction.

Have you heard whether they are down or not yet ? I tried your suggestion and it appears to confirm Thorpe Marsh,

HD

I've been having a snoop round the urban exploration forums and there are no up to date reports but a couple of likely explanations for the delay in demolition.

One is that they are wary of using explosives because of a fear of causing the nearby canal banking to collapse. The other one is that asbestos has been found in the towers and the contracter has already had his fingers burned over the stuff.

Both reasons hearsay but that might account for them still being there. I 've got a relative lives that way I'll ask him when I next contact him.

HD

I still think that there are more than 6 towers on that photo, the heat haze makes it difficult but some of them look too wide to be a single tower.

Anyway you will soon know as according to the Erbex forum last report (May 2011), the demolition men were already back on site and clearing around the tower bases prior to the application of a bit of HE.

Keep looking and if they keep disappearing like 6 green bottles, then you are correct.

There seems to be quite a bit of foreground that could be identified and with an OS map and a 12 inch rule you should be able to pinpoint the direction.

Keep looking and don't fall off the chair.

HD

P. S. When we lived nearby in Mona Avenue if you stood at the top of the garden and looked with binoculars, you could see the gantries and cranes of Goole Docks.

HD

We were up near york today so I drove back that way.

They are still there. I spoke to a local bloke about the demolition. He said it was canceled because they are too near to the river and bringing them down would damage the river bed.

However he thinks it is back on again now. They must have found a way of avoiding damage to the river.

This topic has been running for nearly 3 years, I have a feeling this Boundary Post has been mentioned previously, but lets give it another go.

Where is it and what is/was the boundary

Central Sheffield -