Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

I am trying to do a plan of the junior school to use on here to identify particular locations.

As I am working from photos and wayneybabes videos it obviously won't be to scale but there are some unusual features for such a symetrical looking school.

1}

The corridors parallel to Brimmesfield Road

The closeest one has 3 classrooms on it, the furthest only 2, all being identical in size (although it does have a couple of wash / cloackrooms to compensate)

2} The toilet corner block

This is not, and cannot be, the same size as the other 3 corner blocks due to the disabled corridor.

In fact this is evident from the outside as this block looks different, is taller for some reason and has a different style of roof.

Hope to have a plan on here soon.

Good job its not the secondary school plan (although that would be brilliant) with all those strange angled corners on those corridors.

looking forward to see-ing the finished article.

dont know if you have ever seen it (doubt it lol ) but what would be a good idea to do would be like SWFC did with their stadium development video. you could do it via google earth and take screenshots as you travel around the building, then put them together and make a video. it would go well on the end of the one i did :rolleyes:

looking forward to see-ing the finished article.

dont know if you have ever seen it (doubt it lol ) but what would be a good idea to do would be like SWFC did with their stadium development video. you could do it via google earth and take screenshots as you travel around the building, then put them together and make a video. it would go well on the end of the one i did :rolleyes:

At this stage wayneybabes I am trying to remember everything I can from Man Piercy's technical drawing lessons to knock up a bit of a rough drawn plan.

If I can do this I will then try to draw it with computer drawing software, convert it to a picture and upload it.

At least that will give us a guide to locations when we discuss the "mysterious" bits of the school in your video like that office in the girls toilets!

I know some software like Google SketchUp will let you transform a plan into a 3D model, but lets not try to run before we can walk (would be nice though ;-) )

I dont think such a model can be uploaded onto the site so it would have to go on Google Earth and then embedded or linked.

Guest wayneybabes

At this stage wayneybabes I am trying to remember everything I can from Man Piercy's technical drawing lessons to knock up a bit of a rough drawn plan.

If I can do this I will then try to draw it with computer drawing software, convert it to a picture and upload it.

At least that will give us a guide to locations when we discuss the "mysterious" bits of the school in your video like that office in the girls toilets!

I know some software like Google SketchUp will let you transform a plan into a 3D model, but lets not try to run before we can walk (would be nice though ;-) )

I dont think such a model can be uploaded onto the site so it would have to go on Google Earth and then embedded or linked.

i remember when we lived on city road across from the school, one day i sat in the back bedroom overlooking the school and decided to draw a sketch of the old place. Was pretty good too for a 10/11 year old. shame i never kept it

i remember when we lived on city road across from the school, one day i sat in the back bedroom overlooking the school and decided to draw a sketch of the old place. Was pretty good too for a 10/11 year old. shame i never kept it

You could go back and draw it again lol

But perhaps not, - theres only half of it there now :( , - you probably sketched the secondary school and glass tower.

Guest wayneybabes

You could go back and draw it again lol

But perhaps not, - theres only half of it there now :( , - you probably sketched the secondary school and glass tower.

our house was more or less on a level with the glass tower so it made a lovely sketch of the tower and the first school to the left and middle school to the right

anyway, heres a couple of pictures which have been posted on facebook

this one was taken outside the back door to the dinner hall. this would have been between 1986 and 1990

This one was in the first school playground of some of my classmates. this will probably have been taken around 1980/81

i was never on any of the photos, wonder why? lol

Guest wayneybabes

does anyone remember the series set in sheffield, out of the blue?

remember the scene they shot outside the gates of the old dining hall leading onto spring lane?

walked down spring lane on the day of filming and remember watching it when it was aired. didnt they also do some filming in the vulcan pub?

searched youtube but cant find the clip

Guest wayneybabes

I am sure wayneybabes, living where he did on City Road backing on to the school field was in a similar situation.

yes it was handy for going home at dinner

not for wagging it though, as mum was at home during the day ;)

Guest wayneybabes

heres a photo from what must have been Norfolks final year, about 1992 (again, found on facebook)

this is the maximum size i could make it.

(dave, Man Pyle is the one next to the lady in pink wearing a green top and jacket)

our house was more or less on a level with the glass tower so it made a lovely sketch of the tower and the first school to the left and middle school to the right

anyway, heres a couple of pictures which have been posted on facebook

this one was taken outside the back door to the dinner hall. this would have been between 1986 and 1990

This one was in the first school playground of some of my classmates. this will probably have been taken around 1980/81

i was never on any of the photos, wonder why? lol

Now Juniors used to go in that back door and seniors in the front.

They look like senior school kids hiding around the back of the dining hall <_<

Were they wagging it :o , or is it a smokers den :o ?

does anyone remember the series set in sheffield, out of the blue?

remember the scene they shot outside the gates of the old dining hall leading onto spring lane?

walked down spring lane on the day of filming and remember watching it when it was aired. didnt they also do some filming in the vulcan pub?

searched youtube but cant find the clip

I can't say that I remember this one at all wayneybabes.

Would be very interested in seeing it if we can track it down.

"Out of the blue" you say, - I'll do a bit of research on that one.

Do we know who filmed it? BBC? ITV? C4? independent film company?

heres a photo from what must have been Norfolks final year, about 1992 (again, found on facebook)

this is the maximum size i could make it.

(dave, Man Pyle is the one next to the lady in pink wearing a green top and jacket)

OK I've got Man Pyle, - but why is there a picture of The Simpsons on the wall to the right of the school hall stage?

Did they do a stage version of "The Simpsons" as a school production?

Guest wayneybabes

I can't say that I remember this one at all wayneybabes.

Would be very interested in seeing it if we can track it down.

"Out of the blue" you say, - I'll do a bit of research on that one.

Do we know who filmed it? BBC? ITV? C4? independent film company?

Search google for john hannah out of the blue. It was made by bbc in 1995

I have only found 1 match so far

Guest wayneybabes

OK I've got Man Pyle, - but why is there a picture of The Simpsons on the wall to the right of the school hall stage? lol lol

Did they do a stage version of "The Simpsons" as a school production?

I have no idea!!!

Can you guess which teacher is man pack, the p.e. Teacher?? lol

I have no idea!!!

Can you guess which teacher is man pack, the p.e. Teacher?? lol

Never met Man Pack but is it the bloke on the left with the purple tie?

Search google for john hannah out of the blue. It was made by bbc in 1995

I have only found 1 match so far

Got lots of matches on Google particularly for the John Hannah bit

The first match took me to You Tube where there was a 3 minute clip from Out of the Blue

Problem is, Out of the blue (1995) seems to be a BBC police / detective series rather than a one off documentary.

I assume that if these shots of Norfolk School / Spring Lane were in this series they would have been in just one specific episode of it.

It could have been a long series.

It may not have been a very popular series in which case the BBC wont have much of an incentive to repeat it.

Guest wayneybabes

Never met Man Pack but is it the bloke on the left with the purple tie?

Nope, the clue is what he is wearing

Guest wayneybabes

Got lots of matches on Google particularly for the John Hannah bit

The first match took me to You Tube where there was a 3 minute clip from Out of the Blue

Problem is, Out of the blue (1995) seems to be a BBC police / detective series rather than a one off documentary.

I assume that if these shots of Norfolk School / Spring Lane were in this series they would have been in just one specific episode of it.

It could have been a long series.

It may not have been a very popular series in which case the BBC wont have much of an incentive to repeat it.

You are quite correct, the school was only in one episode for a minute or two

I think the series was a six parter

You are quite correct, the school was only in one episode for a minute or two

I think the series was a six parter

Tracking down a 2 minute clip from a six episode series is going to make this one quite a difficult task.

Is it a similar scene to the one in Eric Smiths film "Dead Easy" where the kids enter the school from Spring Lane and Brimmersfield Road and meet up near the Annexe?

Guest wayneybabes

Tracking down a 2 minute clip from a six episode series is going to make this one quite a difficult task.

Is it a similar scene to the one in Eric Smiths film "Dead Easy" where the kids enter the school from Spring Lane and Brimmersfield Road and meet up near the Annexe?

IIRC, it is some youth on a motorbike and i think the cops chase him up spring lane. he eventually pulls in through the gates, skids, hits the ground and then they nick him.

something along those lines anyway

correct

blue peter badge on its way to you lol

Can I have it personally presented on the show by John Noakes, Valerie Singleton and Peter Purves? lol

IIRC, it is some youth on a motorbike and i think the cops chase him up spring lane. he eventually pulls in through the gates, skids, hits the ground and then they nick him.

something along those lines anyway

Fancy trying to escape the cops by going up Spring Lane :o

He could have carried on down Park Grange Road a bit, cut across the smouldering tip and then gone through Norfolk Park to make a clean getaway ;-)

Pity the film makers have no idea of local geography isn't it lol

Guest wayneybabes

Can I have it personally presented on the show by John Noakes, Valerie Singleton and Peter Purves? lol

i'm afraid only richard bacon and anthea turner are available :(

lol lol

Guest wayneybabes

Fancy trying to escape the cops by going up Spring Lane :o

He could have carried on down Park Grange Road a bit, cut across the smouldering tip and then gone through Norfolk Park to make a clean getaway ;-)

Pity the film makers have no idea of local geography isn't it lol

yep, what a tool

also, if he had carried on up spring lane he could have cut down the path at the side of the flats and towards arbourthorne road

if this site had been up and running, he could have come on here before doing the deed and he'd have got away lol