Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

Hang on a bit Wayneybabes,

Didn't YOU used to live on City Road just opposite this building, seperated from it by just the school sports field. <_<

sure did. glad i dont now lol

below is another photo that has popped up on facebook. it is of a norfolk middle school footie team from the early to mid 80's. dont know any of the kids in person. the teacher is Man Anwyl who was deputy headteacher to Man Jenkins (he later become head). He looks like a convict in this picture!

We all seem to agree that we don't like the look of "The Liquorice Allsort" building in the bottom yard.

But that extension in the top yard looks quite good. I quite like that one. :)

It does at the moment - but will that also get the sickly sweet cladding?? :blink:

sure did. glad i dont now lol

below is another photo that has popped up on facebook. it is of a norfolk middle school footie team from the early to mid 80's. dont know any of the kids in person. the teacher is Man Anwyl who was deputy headteacher to Man Jenkins (he later become head). He looks like a convict in this picture!

Obviously after my time but a nice picture and one I have not seen before.

I assume it is taken in the school hall.

It does at the moment - but will that also get the sickly sweet cladding?? :blink:

I don't think so suzy,

They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to match the style of the original building here and seem to have spared no expense as those orange - red bricks are quite expensive these days. Wouldn't spend over the odds on quality bricks just to cover them up with cheap plastic cladding would they? :unsure:

Also seem to be doing a good job of matching the roof style.

Guest wayneybabes

Its definately 100% NOT getting cladded

they wouldnt dare lol

Guest wayneybabes

Obviously after my time but a nice picture and one I have not seen before.

I assume it is taken in the school hall.

I thought it was but now i am not sure because of the yellow cupboards behind them :blink:

I thought it was but now i am not sure because of the yellow cupboards behind them :blink:

So it must be a big empty classroom they are in then, -

One of those corner ones, either

The old library at the top yard corner nearest Brimmesfield Road, or

The old craft room at the corner where that new short bridge from the Liquorice Allsort building seems to enter.

What do you think?

Guest wayneybabes

So it must be a big empty classroom they are in then, -

One of those corner ones, either

The old library at the top yard corner nearest Brimmesfield Road, or

The old craft room at the corner where that new short bridge from the Liquorice Allsort building seems to enter.

What do you think?

Theres a possibilty it could be the classroom to the right as you come through the doors of the top yard as i seem to remember that they were the two 4th year classrooms when i was there and Man Anwyl's was the first one (I was in the next one along, Miss Richmond)

Theres a possibilty it could be the classroom to the right as you come through the doors of the top yard as i seem to remember that they were the two 4th year classrooms when i was there and Man Anwyl's was the first one (I was in the next one along, Miss Richmond)

Through those doors, to the left is the big room, - the library in my day, to the right was Lass Alcocks classroom, she took 1A

Next to it was Granny Smiths room, she had 3A, then was the disabled unit corridor and toilets.

Both the 4th year classrooms were on the corridor which looked out towards the secondary school.

I must get round to doing a plan / map of the school rooms so that we can compare notes on which rooms were used for what almost 20 years apart.

I must get round to doing a plan / map of the school rooms so that we can compare notes on which rooms were used for what almost 20 years apart.

Thats an excellent idea Dave. Its strange I can remember the corridor you refer to, but not that it was a disabled unit.

Also, can you remember Denise Siddall? I think she was in the year above me, so that would be the year below you?

Thats an excellent idea Dave. Its strange I can remember the corridor you refer to, but not that it was a disabled unit.

Also, can you remember Denise Siddall? I think she was in the year above me, so that would be the year below you?

I thought that the "out of bounds" corridor, except for access to the boys toilet, was always a disabled unit. I'm sure wayneybabes remembered it as such as well.

Not sure I can remember Denise Siddall, but now I know you were 2 years behind me I am sure I will remember alot of people in your year, I now know which of the 3 Cooke girls from City Road it was now that you have given away the year. Not saying though as Stuart wouldn't like it.

Guest wayneybabes

I thought that the "out of bounds" corridor, except for access to the boys toilet, was always a disabled unit. I'm sure wayneybabes remembered it as such as well.

I only remember it being a cookery/art room at the top of the corridor and the toilets

I only remember it being a cookery/art room at the top of the corridor and the toilets

In that case the question must be, -

When did the disabled unit move out of Norfolk Junior School?

It was there all the time I was there (to 1967) and my brother (to 1973).

I must admit that the disabled friends I had there were actually all a bit older than me rather than younger.

When wayneybabes mentioned some time ago the "haunted corridor" that kids were scared to go up I assumed it was still the disabled corridor because in my time the thing which made the corridor haunted / spooky / scarey was the constant shouting, screaming, crying and wailing of those poor mentally ill kids.

Why was it so scarey if it was just a craft or cookery room?

Quite impressed with the look of the building in the top yard though :)

and this time the pictures did join together quite well

Just need to ignore all the fencing and posts that get in the way :angry:

Looking even better and still in keeping with the original now that it has got a matching roof.

This bit in the top yard is going to look really good.

Even more complete now.

Don't like that exterior decor with those garish colours though. :angry:

Now those shocking colours go all the way around, you can see it from Brimmesfield Road, Spring Lane, the Supertram and even from wayneybabes old back garden.

There is no getting away from it :angry:

..and it sticks out like a sore thumb ! :(

Yes The Bridge is back!!!

It's very short compared to the other one in the secondary school, but it is definately a bridge connecting old and new buildings.

Now that means they will have had to knock through that large classroom wall which used to be our craft room to do it.

Had they joined at ground level they would only have to loose the boys toilets and there would already be an entrance way into the yard to avoid knocking walls out.

Definately a bridge.

Short and grey.

Must have knocked a hole in the end of that large classroom.

Talking of entrances, they have got a new uPVC door to replace the original 1930's hardwood door at the main entrance.

A new door, and some new plumbing and underground services.

Where they enter the school used to be a cloakroom / washroom opposite the headmasters office.

View from the field, or if you prefer, wayneybabes view from the tram / his old back garden.

tram view

old back garden view

Now those shocking colours go all the way around, you can see it from Brimmesfield Road, Spring Lane, the Supertram and even from wayneybabes old back garden.

There is no getting away from it :angry:

..and it sticks out like a sore thumb ! :(

You can even see it from Craddock Road :o

Norfolk school field panorama.

This panorama covers over 100 degrees, from the old "Charlie Browns" on City Road corner all the way around to Spring Lane.

A view which has changed dramatically in the last 15 years.

The New Norfolk School (the Junior school on the Norfolk Park estate) seems to have been doing a bit of good work in Norfolk Park.

Noticed this little project on a recent walk in the park.

Guest suzy

In that case the question must be, -

When did the disabled unit move out of Norfolk Junior School?

It was there all the time I was there (to 1967) and my brother (to 1973).

I must admit that the disabled friends I had there were actually all a bit older than me rather than younger.

When wayneybabes mentioned some time ago the "haunted corridor" that kids were scared to go up I assumed it was still the disabled corridor because in my time the thing which made the corridor haunted / spooky / scarey was the constant shouting, screaming, crying and wailing of those poor mentally ill kids.

Why was it so scarey if it was just a craft or cookery room?

My memory must be worse that what I originally thought - I have no recollection of all the noises you mention :o

Guest suzy

Definately a bridge.

Short and grey.

It looks awful - how is that in keeping with the original building :blink:

Maybe that is the compromise, rather than knocking down the whole lot and making it into one big licquorice allsort :angry:

My memory must be worse that what I originally thought - I have no recollection of all the noises you mention :o

So I wonder when they did move that disabled unit off that corridor then?

I'm sure it was there all the time I was at the school, all the way through secondary school up to 1972

As students we were supposed to be "banned" from going up that corridor anyway.

However, the entrance to the boys toilets was up that corridor so you had no choice but to use the bottom section just to get to the toilets.

You may not remember it because the corresponding girls toilets were on the main corridor.

Definately a bridge.

Short and grey.

Having looked again at that nice new section in the top yard, they must have knocked out the whole of Granny Smith's old classroom to access the new building.