Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

It would have been taken around the time i left 1990 or just after

i know the kids in the photo by face, not by name

heres a little photo below of an easter bonnet parade found, again, on facebook!!

dont know the year or anything but would have been in the 80's

I have a feeling that I have seen this very picture before and that it dates from 1978.

It was something to do with one of Man (E-type) Smiths films, not "Dead Easy" but another one.

He did one about an Easter bonnet parade (hence this picture) and another about a camping trip to Scotland, both dating from 1978

All 3 films were shown at that evening in November 2008.

Guest wayneybabes

I have a feeling that I have seen this very picture before and that it dates from 1978.

It was something to do with one of Man (E-type) Smiths films, not "Dead Easy" but another one.

He did one about an Easter bonnet parade (hence this picture) and another about a camping trip to Scotland, both dating from 1978

All 3 films were shown at that evening in November 2008.

80's was not a bad guess though

80's was not a bad guess though

Yep, not bad.

Just worries me that if we keep picking up on the same recognisable pictures there can't be many pictures of Norfolk School lying around :(

Reminds me that when me and Stuart were in the second year (Y8) we were doing the school photographic society and had a free run of the darkroom facilities.

Man Piercy had photographed the autumn half term school disco (so it was October 1968) and wanted me and Stuart to develop and print out his roll of 36 exposures for him.

Having done this he displayed the pictures around the school, got us to take orders for prints at 3d a copy (old money) and then print out all the orders while he raked in the money! :(

It got us out of quite a few lessons that we didn't like though lol

If only I had copies of those pictures now to post up on here. :angry:

Yep, not bad.

Just worries me that if we keep picking up on the same recognisable pictures there can't be many pictures of Norfolk School lying around :(

Reminds me that when me and Stuart were in the second year (Y8) we were doing the school photographic society and had a free run of the darkroom facilities.

Man Piercy had photographed the autumn half term school disco (so it was October 1968) and wanted me and Stuart to develop and print out his roll of 36 exposures for him.

Having done this he displayed the pictures around the school, got us to take orders for prints at 3d a copy (old money) and then print out all the orders while he raked in the money! :(

It got us out of quite a few lessons that we didn't like though lol

If only I had copies of those pictures now to post up on here. :angry:

Very shrewd move by Man Piercy B) What lessons didnt you like then?

Going off on another tangent : but did you ever start the project re finding out what happened to the ex-teachers of Norfolk ?

Very shrewd move by Man Piercy B) What lessons didnt you like then?

Going off on another tangent : but did you ever start the project re finding out what happened to the ex-teachers of Norfolk ?

PE, games and sports were top of my list.

Then, depending on the teacher, French, English, RE and Art were never that popular.

Can't say I really disliked them, just that I would much rather be doing something else, - like printing photographs.

Not really got round to tracking down what happened to the teachers yet.

I had thought of looking for deaths in the BMD indexes first as I don't think many of the ones that taught me and Stuart are still alive.

2 weeks later and the sheets are off the new extension.

It is now starting to look like a new building

Even more complete now.

Don't like that exterior decor with those garish colours though. :angry:

New building is even starting to link in to the old building.

I wonder if this link between the old and new buildings will be anything like a shortened version of the secondary school bridge? lol

It does seem to be at first floor rather than ground floor level!

Yes The Bridge is back!!!

It's very short compared to the other one in the secondary school, but it is definately a bridge connecting old and new buildings.

Now that means they will have had to knock through that large classroom wall which used to be our craft room to do it.

Had they joined at ground level they would only have to loose the boys toilets and there would already be an entrance way into the yard to avoid knocking walls out.

Yes The Bridge is back!!!

It's very short compared to the other one in the secondary school, but it is definately a bridge connecting old and new buildings.

Now that means they will have had to knock through that large classroom wall which used to be our craft room to do it.

Had they joined at ground level they would only have to loose the boys toilets and there would already be an entrance way into the yard to avoid knocking walls out.

Talking of entrances, they have got a new uPVC door to replace the original 1930's hardwood door at the main entrance.

Work on this has now progressed even further, and as promised, this extention looks almost exactly like the original building.

Quite impressed with the look of the building in the top yard though :)

and this time the pictures did join together quite well

Just need to ignore all the fencing and posts that get in the way :angry:

Even more complete now.

View from Spring Lane / Brimmesfield Road junction

View from Spring Lane / Brimmesfield Road junction

Got to agree about the colours, not in keeping with the rest of the buildings

Got to agree about the colours, not in keeping with the rest of the buildings

Who would want to go to a school like this?

{said in his best Lloyd Grossman "Through The Keyhole" accent}

Guest wayneybabes

Even more complete now.

Cheers Dave, i dont get that view from the tram but have to agree......the decor is ghastly :o

Cheers Dave, i dont get that view from the tram but have to agree......the decor is ghastly :o

Yes at present that colourful extrior cladding is only on the Brimmesfield Road side of the building, the view from Spring Lane and City Road on the tram route still lacks this cladding and appears as bare brick and breeze block.

However, I think that eventually this cladding will go all the way around the new building making it look like some sort of giant liquorice allsort.

There you go, I've even given the new block a new name, - the "Liquorice Allsort Building" lol

Yes at present that colourful extrior cladding is only on the Brimmesfield Road side of the building, the view from Spring Lane and City Road on the tram route still lacks this cladding and appears as bare brick and breeze block.

However, I think that eventually this cladding will go all the way around the new building making it look like some sort of giant liquorice allsort.

There you go, I've even given the new block a new name, - the "Liquorice Allsort Building" lol

These workmen on the yellow pantograph elevating platform appear to be fitting the coloured cladding onto the building at the Spring Lane end.

These workmen on the yellow pantograph elevating platform appear to be fitting the coloured cladding onto the building at the Spring Lane end.

Heaven help us :o That looks absolutely rubbish - was someone off their head on drugs when they thought that one up :huh:

Good photos though Dave - wonder what Mr Rackham would have made of it all? Presume he must be looking down from a cloud by now - if he is, he certainly wont miss the "sweetie" extension and as for the UPVC door!!!!!! :(

Guest wayneybabes

Heaven help us :o That looks absolutely rubbish - was someone off their head on drugs when they thought that one up :huh:

Good photos though Dave - wonder what Mr Rackham would have made of it all? Presume he must be looking down from a cloud by now - if he is, he certainly wont miss the "sweetie" extension and as for the UPVC door!!!!!! :(

This is more outrageous than the cladding!!! :angry:

The people i feel sorry for are the ones who live opposite the sweetie building lol

The people i feel sorry for are the ones who live opposite the sweetie building lol

Yep me too.

They will need dark glasses : and think what its going to look like when the sun shines on it :o

Guest wayneybabes

Yep me too.

They will need dark glasses : and think what its going to look like when the sun shines on it :o

it might get a little sticky lol

it might get a little sticky lol

And sickly sweet - even for my sweet tooth he he

What on earth were they thinking of :(

We all seem to agree that we don't like the look of "The Liquorice Allsort" building in the bottom yard.

But that extension in the top yard looks quite good. I quite like that one. :)

Guest wayneybabes

i have no idea

when the building opens though, i am thinking of doing a REFRESHER course lol lol

Guest wayneybabes

i noticed last night that they have started putting the cladding on the school field side of the building now :angry:

Guest wayneybabes

We all seem to agree that we don't like the look of "The Liquorice Allsort" building in the bottom yard.

But that extension in the top yard looks quite good. I quite like that one. :)

Agreed :rolleyes:

Hang on a bit Wayneybabes,

Didn't YOU used to live on City Road just opposite this building, seperated from it by just the school sports field. <_<