Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

So what school play are they doing?

There appears to be a lot of sailors and a lot of mouse like characters in it..

no idea :o

I would have been at school at this time yes so it would have been around 1988. (sure those girls are a couple of years younger than me)

Notice the annexe have gone?

Yes I knew the annexe had gone by then.

There was a day in about 1984 or 1985 when our Derbyshire school where I work had a day off and Norfolk was still open.

I happened to be walking past and there was some sort of sports day activities going off so i went in to watch being as there were a lot of adults (parents0 there as well as students and staff.

I met up with moggy Matthews, must have been the last time I saw him, and he was playing tennis in the tennis courts against some students (not just watching / supervising them but actually playing them :blink: )

Due to the location of the tennis courts I noticed then that the annexe had gone.

Hey wayneybabes were you there in 1984 5?

If so what were you doing on this sports day?

no idea :o

Lots of sailors?

South Pacific? (There is nothing like a dame sequence)

HMS Pinnafore?( I am the very model of a modern major general sequence)

Lots of cats or mice?

Cats?

Dick Whittington?

The Aristocats (Everybody wants to be a cat)?

Yep, - could be anything so I have no idea :huh:

Response to post #574

Image uploader seems to be working now ;-)

Reposted post with missing image included

Here's a random one from me of a group of girls I knew ;-)

Notice that in the early 1970's they still had a school uniform and tie (no shell suits) and that the girls had that Osmonds / Teeny Bop fan very threatening look about them.

If you don't know what I mean by this, look at Pete McKee's artwork of the group of Bay City Rollers fans.

Anyway the photo is taken from the path which is still there at the top of the top yard of the junior school which connects Brimmesfield Road entrance to the secondary school yard with the bridge.

That tree they are posing in front of is now much bigger and in the garden of the first house on Craddock Mews above the Junior school yard.

Response to post #574

Image uploader seems to be working now ;-)

Reposted post with missing image included

Here's a random one from me of a group of girls I knew ;-)

Notice that in the early 1970's they still had a school uniform and tie (no shell suits) and that the girls had that Osmonds / Teeny Bop fan very threatening look about them.

If you don't know what I mean by this, look at Pete McKee's artwork of the group of Bay City Rollers fans.

Anyway the photo is taken from the path which is still there at the top of the top yard of the junior school which connects Brimmesfield Road entrance to the secondary school yard with the bridge.

That tree they are posing in front of is now much bigger and in the garden of the first house on Craddock Mews above the Junior school yard.

Picture dates from 1972 /73

I wonder if suzy knows any of these girls?

Guest wayneybabes

Yes I knew the annexe had gone by then.

There was a day in about 1984 or 1985 when our Derbyshire school where I work had a day off and Norfolk was still open.

I happened to be walking past and there was some sort of sports day activities going off so i went in to watch being as there were a lot of adults (parents0 there as well as students and staff.

I met up with moggy Matthews, must have been the last time I saw him, and he was playing tennis in the tennis courts against some students (not just watching / supervising them but actually playing them :blink: )

Due to the location of the tennis courts I noticed then that the annexe had gone.

Hey wayneybabes were you there in 1984 5?

If so what were you doing on this sports day?

I was at the Junior school in 84-85. I went up in 86 and the annexe were there for at least a year or two :mellow:

I was at the Junior school in 84-85. I went up in 86 and the annexe were there for at least a year or two :mellow:

Hmmm...

Not so sure of the exact date then, but it can't have been much later than that.

Late eighties perhaps?

So when exactly did the annexe go?

Picture dates from 1972 /73

I wonder if suzy knows any of these girls?

I left in 1974, but dont know any of the girls in the photo - they dont look particularly happy!

I can remember turning up for the first day of senior school in my blazer, tie, etc. etc even down to the brown leather satchel. B)

I left in 1974, but dont know any of the girls in the photo - they dont look particularly happy!

I can remember turning up for the first day of senior school in my blazer, tie, etc. etc even down to the brown leather satchel. B)

They were in the year that would have been in secondary school 1971 -76 so I just wondered if you did know any of them. They all lived locally.

The building in the top yard is coming along well, and as has been said earlier, this top building appears to be in keeping with the look of the original school.

-Looks like these 2 pictures could be joined to make a panoramic shot, however I bet that wire fencing in the forground messes up the joining process.

Work on this has now progressed even further, and as promised, this extention looks almost exactly like the original building.

Work on the roof shown previously appears to have been just a patch up job, - but the Brimmesfield Road entrance to the referal unit, which used to be the entrance to see Man Rackham, the headmaster, seems to be being built up to another storey in height.

This picture, deliberately taken with the sun behind all that sheeting, shows that it is not an upward extention but just more roof repairs.

The new extension is starting to look like a proper building now and not just a constructional framework

2 weeks later and the sheets are off the new extension.

It is now starting to look like a new building

2 weeks later and the sheets are off the new extension.

It is now starting to look like a new building

New building is even starting to link in to the old building.

I wonder if this link between the old and new buildings will be anything like a shortened version of the secondary school bridge? lol

It does seem to be at first floor rather than ground floor level!

What's in all these blue containers they have just brought on site?

Is the internal refurbishment complete and they are ready to go in with fixtures, fittings and furnishings?

If so, get ready for a return "then and now" filming trip wayneybabes ;-)

Guest wayneybabes

What's in all these blue containers they have just brought on site?

Is the internal refurbishment complete and they are ready to go in with fixtures, fittings and furnishings?

If so, get ready for a return "then and now" filming trip wayneybabes ;-)

Cheers Dave!!!

found another photo on facebook. Can you guess which part of the school it is?

Cheers Dave!!!

found another photo on facebook. Can you guess which part of the school it is?

It appears to be the secondary school, old building on the corridor which runs parallel to Craddock Road.

Thing that gives it away is the part of the building seen through the corridor window which is the old Library.

On the opposite (left) side of the corridor are classrooms. The one nearest the end of the corridor used to be Man Chapmans room, for French, German and 5a's form room

The one directly opposite the 2 students has variously been Man (E-type) Smiths maths room and Man Dixon's history room.

Have we got a year on this picture wayneybabes?

Do we know who the 2 students in the picture are?

It appears to be the secondary school, old building on the corridor which runs parallel to Craddock Road.

Thing that gives it away is the part of the building seen through the corridor window which is the old Library.

If you look back again to my picture of Man Everatt posted very early in this topic but look at the background instead of at Ken

(we sometimes used to call him that after the Radio1 DJ Kenny Everatt, although Man Everatt's first name was really Jack)

The picture was taken in the actual quadrangle alongside that corridor in your photo, notice the corridor windows, on the right of your picture are on the left of this one.

The picture then shows, moving to the right, that library building which gave the game away.

Guest wayneybabes

I thought you might know where it was!. IIRC the old library was still there but seem to remember going in there to watch england v australia ashes match one day we couldnt do PE. also remember a little room next door to it which was the computer room

I thought you might know where it was!. IIRC the old library was still there but seem to remember going in there to watch england v australia ashes match one day we couldnt do PE. also remember a little room next door to it which was the computer room

The school librarian and English / Library studies teacher was a bloke called Man Naylor (Harry Naylor). He was a little bloke who looked a bit like Man Whitham (balding, stout posture, thought I would describe him as I never got around to taking his picture).

In the first 2 years we had lessons in the library but after that we hardly ever saw him, unless you went to the library to get a book out, but for some reason I never did. Don't know why but I always preferred to go to Manor Library at Manor Top and get my books for doing school work and home work from there.

I did my French Oral exam in the school library with Man Chapman and an external examiner / moderator.

Didn't expect to do very well at it but didn't do too badly.

Oral exams started off in present tense, and if you were doing well progressed in sequence through past perfect, past imperfect and future.

I did manage to get onto the future tense questions but messed it up at that stage

Quelle exécution qui avait lieu

If the little room next door was the room between the back of the library and the corridor on which your photo was taken then in my day this was the form room of 5C (fifth form Commercial) who instead of doing GCE "O" Level and CSE exams were doing City & Guilds and RSA exams in commercial subjects.

Because it was a Commerce room it was full of typewriters, comptometers and calculating machines and set out like a small office.

It would have been ideal to develop this into a computer suite so I can imagine it becoming a computer room in later years.

I don't remember a seperate Commerce teacher, I think Man Naylor was in charge of this as well.

The school librarian and English / Library studies teacher was a bloke called Man Naylor (Harry Naylor). He was a little bloke who looked a bit like Man Whitham (balding, stout posture, thought I would describe him as I never got around to taking his picture.

In the first 2 years we had lessons in the library but after that we hardly ever saw him, unless you went to the library to get a book out, but for some reason I never did. Don't know why but I always preferred to go to Manor Library at Manor Top and get my books for doing school work and home work from there.

I did my French Oral exam in the school library with Man Chapman and an external examiner / moderator.

Didn't expect to do very well at it but didn't do too badly.

Oral exams started off in present tense, and if you were doing well progressed in sequence through past perfect, past imperfect and future.

I did manage to get onto the future tense questions but messed it up at that stage

Quelle exécution qui avait lieu

Which execution which took place <_<

MAN BRIDSON

Man Bridson was our science teacher.

My original comments on him on Friends Reunited were,

Mr. Bridson taught chemistry, my favourite subject. I was told by Mr. Whitham in 1972 that I was the first student not just to pass O level chemistry but to actually take it in the previous 8 years!

Man Bridson started as a new teacher in September 1968 and left for promotion in 1973 so his time at Norfolk roughly coincided with ours. He replaced a previous female science teacher with connections to Israel but I can't for the life of me remember her name.

Man Bridson really didn't know how to deal with us as cocky, outspoken young upstarts who could confidently hold their own at the subject he was trying to teach. On a number of occasions we really upset him.

He didn't like it when I called him Arnold Palmer because he had volunteered to take golf for Friday afternoon creative activities in the summer term 1969 instead of some science activities with us.

He didn't like it when we returned from a biology field trip with tons of frog spawn, tadpoles and hundreds of frogs which we put in a large tank in his lab and they constantly croaked through all his lessons.

He certainly didn't like it when we found out about relationship with our second year French teacher Lass Curry and spread the gossip about it around the school before he could announce their forthcoming engagement. (Come to that I don't think Lass Curry was too pleased with us either!)

The reason I was the first person to pass O level chemistry for 8 years ( the previous person to pass was someone called Gordon Kind) came down to the schools very politically incorrect (by todays standards) system for option choices at the time which went something like this,-

Boys should do physics (they were going to grow up into engineers, mechanics and electricians)

Girls should do biology (they were going to grow up, marry, have children and become mothers)

Only those with exceptional scientific ability could do chemistry

Most years there was nobody to fill that description, - then along came me, Stuart0742 and another kid called "Frithy" all at the same time.

It's spring again and I have already noticed the larger amount of frog and toad spawn in our local ponds than normal this year

Not seem a lot of this stuff since the spring of 1969, and it immediately reminds me of this incident with Man Bridson lol

Guest wayneybabes

Have we got a year on this picture wayneybabes?

Do we know who the 2 students in the picture are?

It would have been taken around the time i left 1990 or just after

i know the kids in the photo by face, not by name

heres a little photo below of an easter bonnet parade found, again, on facebook!!

dont know the year or anything but would have been in the 80's

Guest wayneybabes

The classrooms to the left of the girl in my time at Norfolk were History classrooms. The teachers IIRC were Miss Stokes and Man Wall