Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

Unfortunately I am usually busy on Friday evenings so I would find it difficult to be there.

In any case I suspect a lot of those at the reunion will be people from "after my time" and I would just be "the old guy"

Thanks for the notification / invite anyway.

Sure I will get to one of these do's eventually.

:( shame, was relying on you to get the first round in

lol

:( shame, was relying on you to get the first round in

lol

Now if I offered to get the first round in I suppose every ex student of Norfolk School 1935 - 1991 would turn up expecting a drink. :o

I bet there would be one hell of a punch up when I had to withdraw the offer :rolleyes:

Guest wayneybabes

Now if I offered to get the first round in I suppose every ex student of Norfolk School 1935 - 1991 would turn up expecting a drink. :o

I bet there would be one hell of a punch up when I had to withdraw the offer :rolleyes:

TBH, that would be my luck mate lol

Guest wayneybabes

what would be good though would be if we could get a pupil from each decade 1930s to 1990s and photograph them.

though i dont think you would get a 90 year old to go in the reflex bar lollol

we are having our latest reunion this friday 12 march, bankers draft, 7pm. :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy the reunion tomorrow night.

Let us know on here how it went.

The new extension in progress.

This pair of "then & now" pictures are only taken 4 months apart (September 2009 / January 2010)

They clearly show how much work has progressed on the new extension.

But just 6 weeks later things have really changed again.

A lot of scaffolding and building taking place

They have also started doing the building of some sort of extension in the top yard as well

and they have scaffolding around the rest of the old school, I suppose for a bit of exterior renovation and refurbishment

The building in the top yard is coming along well, and as has been said earlier, this top building appears to be in keeping with the look of the original school.

-Looks like these 2 pictures could be joined to make a panoramic shot, however I bet that wire fencing in the forground messes up the joining process.

Work on the roof shown previously appears to have been just a patch up job, - but the Brimmesfield Road entrance to the referal unit, which used to be the entrance to see Man Rackham, the headmaster, seems to be being built up to another storey in height.

Work has continued on this extemsion over Christmas and through the recent bad weather.

The new extension is starting to look like a proper building now and not just a constructional framework

So far to photograph that new block I have had to point mt camera through the trees on Spring Lane

Fortunately, although site security is good leaving the gate open which gives access from Spring Lane to the old kitchens and dining rooms gives a much clearer view.

Here's one for wayneybabes.

To get rid of the trees in the panorama in post #556 I went onto the school field instead of just on Spring Lane.

This is the view facing the other way with the school behind me

Someones old house perhaps?

So far to photograph that new block I have had to point mt camera through the trees on Spring Lane

Fortunately, although site security is good leaving the gate open which gives access from Spring Lane to the old kitchens and dining rooms gives a much clearer view.

Great photos Dave - particularly the earlier panoramic view :)

That really is a BIG difference - its a MASSIVE extension - so sad that not much of the "old school" will remain though :(

Great photos Dave - particularly the earlier panoramic view :)

That really is a BIG difference - its a massive extension - so sad that not much of the "old school" will remain though :(

When its all finishged and complete and new, but before they let the "naughty boys" back in to wreck it all again I wonder if we could send wayneybabes back to do another film of how it all looks newly refurbished. <_<

A sort of then and now movie of the school. lol

When its all finishged and complete and new, but before they let the "naughty boys" back in to wreck it all again I wonder if we could send wayneybabes back to do another film of how it all looks newly refurbished. <_<

A sort of then and now movie of the school. lol

FAB idea - with you on that one lol

FAB idea - with you on that one lol

So wayneybabes has been proposed and seconded and full "voluteered" for this task then. lol

Mind you, he has got contacts now with the building team doing the work. ;-)

Guest wayneybabes

So wayneybabes has been proposed and seconded and full "voluteered" for this task then. lol

Mind you, he has got contacts now with the building team doing the work. ;-)

Thanx guys!!!!. Will see what i can do though i lost adrians email due to a virus. Should be able to get back in touch with him though.

BTW Dave, reunion wasnt good in terms of attendance but what i can remember of it, we had a fantastic time

Thanx guys!!!!. Will see what i can do though i lost adrians email due to a virus. Should be able to get back in touch with him though.

BTW Dave, reunion wasnt good in terms of attendance but what i can remember of it, we had a fantastic time

I think that means a lot of ale was drunk.

Any new or interesting info that you managed to get for on here?

Or can't you remember lol

Guest wayneybabes

I think that means a lot of ale was drunk.

Any new or interesting info that you managed to get for on here?

Or can't you remember lol

copious amounts of ale dissapeared (then reappeared at 3am lol)

No new info really, apart from a funny story of a game at infant school that we played. It was like pass the parcel with a dice. if you rolled a six you got to rip into the parcel until someone else rolled a six. i was the first to roll a six so got the first try and by the time the next person had rolled one i had had half of the MASSIVE bar of chocolate lol

not like me really lol

copious amounts of ale dissapeared (then reappeared at 3am lol)

No new info really, apart from a funny story of a game at infant school that we played. It was like pass the parcel with a dice. if you rolled a six you got to rip into the parcel until someone else rolled a six. i was the first to roll a six so got the first try and by the time the next person had rolled one i had had half of the massive bar of chocolate lol

not like me really lol

So I was right then,

The "reunion" is really just an excuse for a booze up with your old school mates. lol

Guest wayneybabes

So I was right then,

The "reunion" is really just an excuse for a booze up with your old school mates. lol

certainly was on friday lol

found a couple more photos on facebook.

first one is of a play in the middle school apparently around 1988/89. The teacher on the left is Mrs Pleasance (who only recently retired due to ill health) and on the right, Mrs Booth

the next one is a random picture taken towards the annexe & tower block (yes, i know two of the 3 girls in the picture, the ginger haired girl and the one with the cool shell suit lol)

first one is of a play in the middle school apparently around 1988/89. The teacher on the left is Mrs Pleasance (who only recently retired due to ill health) and on the right, Mrs Booth

So what school play are they doing?

There appears to be a lot of sailors and a lot of mouse like characters in it..

the next one is a random picture taken towards the annexe & tower block (yes, i know two of the 3 girls in the picture, the ginger haired girl and the one with the cool shell suit lol)

Well in with the girls then ;-)

What about the Asian girl?

The one with the cool shell suit (that dates it a bit these days) also appears to be wearing a Lorus watch with what at first appears to be a moonphase dial but is in fact a "sun and moon" display to replace the am and pm bit. This type of watch, certainly on the mens version which looks identical to this ladies version, had an outer ring with an annular (circular) manually set month to day display.

Interestingly Lorus manufactured this watch with this style in 1987 and 1988 which may help to date your picture.

Here's a random one from me of a group of girls I knew ;-)

Notice that in the early 1970's they still had a school uniform and tie (no shell suits) and that the girls had that Osmonds / Teeny Bop fan very threatening look about them.

If you don't know what I mean by this, look at Pete McKee's artwork of the group of Bay City Rollers fans.

Anyway the photo is taken from the path which is still there at the top of the top yard of the junior school which connects Brimmesfield Road entrance to the secondary school yard with the bridge.

That tree they are posing in front of is now much bigger and in the garden of the first house on Craddock Mews above the Junior school yard.

Guest wayneybabes

Interestingly Lorus manufactured this watch with this style in 1987 and 1988 which may help to date your picture.

I would have been at school at this time yes so it would have been around 1988. (sure those girls are a couple of years younger than me)

Notice the annexe have gone?