Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

Can't say that I do but on the other hand it sounds vaguely and remotely familiar.

Go on wayneybabes, - either remind or enlighten us.

if i remember correctly, as you went in at the back you queued up and on the way to the counter there where compartments with knives, forks and spoons of which you took one of each (obviously). i would say 95% of the spoons had 'rounded' top edges but the other 5% had flat edges (you know the ones - they dig into your hands if you hold the spoon high up on the handle). these where called 'spazz spoons'. If you where unfortunate enough to grab one of these and your mates saw you, then you would get ribbed all day and called a spazz lol

luckily, i only ever got the 'spazz spoon' once and managed to conceal it by holding it high up the handle but others where less fortunate lol

Guest wayneybabes

Something I distinctly remember about the Junior School and that is once getting invited to sit on the same table as Mr Rackham the Headteacher at lunch, along with some other pupils. We had sausages and he passed me the English mustard - seemed disrespectful to refuse, so I then put some on the sausages, having never had mustard before in my life :blink: They tasted horrid, but I politely ate them and never tried mustard again until my 20's, by which time my tastes had changed - however, still never play the part of Colonel Mustard in Cluedo he hehe he

lol lol lol lol

like me with indian curries lol

Dad used to have them a lot when i was younger but now i could eat him under the table lol

lightweight :rolleyes:

Something I distinctly remember about the Junior School and that is once getting invited to sit on the same table as Mr Rackham the Headteacher at lunch, along with some other pupils. We had sausages and he passed me the English mustard - seemed disrespectful to refuse, so I then put some on the sausages, having never had mustard before in my life :blink: They tasted horrid, but I politely ate them and never tried mustard again until my 20's, by which time my tastes had changed - however, still never play the part of Colonel Mustard in Cluedo he hehe he

I can also remember this.

Every week Mr. Rackham would select students to dine with him on the "top table" with a proper tablecloth and an air of poshness about it. I was selected several times in my 4 years at junior school for this "treat" so I know exactly how you felt. With me there were no embarassing incidents and I suppose it was a "treat" but at the time none of us wanted to be picked for it.

if i remember correctly, as you went in at the back you queued up and on the way to the counter there where compartments with knives, forks and spoons of which you took one of each (obviously). i would say 95% of the spoons had 'rounded' top edges but the other 5% had flat edges (you know the ones - they dig into your hands if you hold the spoon high up on the handle). these where called 'spazz spoons'. If you where unfortunate enough to grab one of these and your mates saw you, then you would get ribbed all day and called a spazz lol

luckily, i only ever got the 'spazz spoon' once and managed to conceal it by holding it high up the handle but others where less fortunate lol

Don't remember this at all wayneybabes, sorry.

spazz spoon?? :unsure:

Interestingly the students on the disabled corridor were always kept out of our way so as not to scare us, - or to prevent us making unpleasant comments to them. They either had a different dinner time to everyone else or (more likely) had their dinner in the big room at the top of the disabled unit corridor.

Guest wayneybabes

Don't remember this at all wayneybabes, sorry.

spazz spoon?? :unsure:

Interestingly the students on the disabled corridor were always kept out of our way so as not to scare us, - or to prevent us making unpleasant comments to them. They either had a different dinner time to everyone else or (more likely) had their dinner in the big room at the top of the disabled unit corridor.

I wonder if somewhere along the line, between your time at norfolk and mine, that the spoons came from the big room at the top and the term 'spazz spoon' originated from there?

Have you asked your brother if he remembers it yet?. being fairly close to my time there he may have a recollection of this

I wonder if somewhere along the line, between your time at norfolk and mine, that the spoons came from the big room at the top and the term 'spazz spoon' originated from there?

Have you asked your brother if he remembers it yet?. being fairly close to my time there he may have a recollection of this

Don't know about that wayneybabes. You shouldn't really call them spazz any more in this PC world, and at the time I was there I had some friends up the corridor that if they thought that you were "taking the mick" with them you could be in bother.

Elaine, a deaf and dumb girl with other disabilities as well, would have chased you round the school and given you a good thumping if she thought you had said something like that (she couldn't actually hear you ;-) ) and she was a big strong girl well capable of beating up lads who thought they were really hard.

Gary and Peter would have been quite upset at the suggestion as they didn't really think they were anything other than "normal" like everyone else although clearly both of them having suffered brain damage from meningitus / hydrocephalis as babies were clesrly carrying physical disabilities from it.

All 3 of them were great people and good mates, - just a pity that society in general didn't know how to react to them or how to deal with them other than by shoving them at the top of a corridor out of sight and contact with "normal" kids. A great shame really.

I get the impression from your description of the "spazz spoon" that the spazz bit comes from the way you had to hold and contort your body (like a spazz) in order to hold the spoon and use it without it cutting into your hand.

Doubt my brother will be able to remember it as much to my 2 aunties who were dinner ladies / cooks dismay I think he chose to "go home for dinners" instead. Living on Eastern Avenue he didn't have to go too far.

Guest wayneybabes

I get the impression from your description of the "spazz spoon" that the spazz bit comes from the way you had to hold and contort your body (like a spazz) in order to hold the spoon and use it without it cutting into your hand.

Thats quite possible

Without actually knowing the person who started this 'term' we wont know for sure.

Kids call each other names that they dont even know the meaning of, which brings me to a funny story of one of my mates. Another of my friends had been calling him a 'pervert' (we where around 11/12 at the time) and the kid didnt know the meaning of the word. Anyway, we where playing out around his house one day and my friend called it him again so he marched us into his mothers house and asked his mother what a 'pervert' was. Needless to say, his mother gave my friend a ticking off and asked him if he knew the meaning of the name that he was calling her son, to which he just stood there silent. She explained to him what it meant and from that day on i cannot recollect him ever calling him that name again lol

Thats quite possible

Without actually knowing the person who started this 'term' we wont know for sure.

Kids call each other names that they dont even know the meaning of, which brings me to a funny story of one of my mates. Another of my friends had been calling him a 'pervert' (we where around 11/12 at the time) and the kid didnt know the meaning of the word. Anyway, we where playing out around his house one day and my friend called it him again so he marched us into his mothers house and asked his mother what a 'pervert' was. Needless to say, his mother gave my friend a ticking off and asked him if he knew the meaning of the name that he was calling her son, to which he just stood there silent. She explained to him what it meant and from that day on i cannot recollect him ever calling him that name again lol

If you had the "spazz spoon" what were the knives and forks like?

I seem to remember even as very young "Sheffielders" we still used to instinctively pick up an piece of tableware (knife, fork or spoon) and examine it closely for that all important MADE IN SHEFFIELD mark stamped on it as we were already coniseuers of fine locally made cutlery.

It could, after all at that time, have been made by one of our elder relatives in a local company.

I bet the "spazz spoons" were some of those cheap foreign imports that said something like MADE IN TAIWAN on them lol

I can also remember this.

Every week Mr. Rackham would select students to dine with him on the "top table" with a proper tablecloth and an air of poshness about it. I was selected several times in my 4 years at junior school for this "treat" so I know exactly how you felt. With me there were no embarassing incidents and I suppose it was a "treat" but at the time none of us wanted to be picked for it.

I am glad someone else remembers it :rolleyes:

You may have covered this before in another thread, but do you know what happened to Mr Rackham?

I am glad someone else remembers it :rolleyes:

You may have covered this before in another thread, but do you know what happened to Mr Rackham?

When I left Junior school (1967) he was still headmaster.

When my brother left Junior school (1973) he was still headmaster.

No contact with Junior school since then so I have no idea when he retired or what became of him afterwards.

Do you know suzy?

I would love to know what happened to most of the teachers that taught me, even though most of them I know are now dead.

When I left Junior school (1967) he was still headmaster.

When my brother left Junior school (1973) he was still headmaster.

No contact with Junior school since then so I have no idea when he retired or what became of him afterwards.

Do you know suzy?

I would love to know what happened to most of the teachers that taught me, even though most of them I know are now dead.

No I am afraid I dont. It conjures up a whole new thread of "Where are they now?" Its also strange how you remember people as you last saw them, not expecting them to have aged at all. He is probably long gone - God rest his soul.

No I am afraid I dont. It conjures up a whole new thread of "Where are they now?" Its also strange how you remember people as you last saw them, not expecting them to have aged at all. He is probably long gone - God rest his soul.

Having said in an earlier post that our PE teacher Man McDermott died tragically young in a football related incident perhaps I should add some notes about the ones I know of as to where they are now, or, if in fact they are still alive.

Having said in an earlier post that our PE teacher Man McDermott died tragically young in a football related incident perhaps I should add some notes about the ones I know of as to where they are now, or, if in fact they are still alive.

Dave, I think that is a very good idea - I would certainly be interested to know, as I am sure others would too. :mellow:

Dave, I think that is a very good idea - I would certainly be interested to know, as I am sure others would too. :mellow:

I will think about putting together what I already know (for example, Man McDermott) and doing a bit of "research" on a few other well know old Norfolk staff.

Guest davexl5

I will think about putting together what I already know (for example, Man McDermott) and doing a bit of "research" on a few other well know old Norfolk staff.

i m ust appologise if this is going in the wrong place or order iam new to this e mail and computer stuff. i was interested by some of your letters posted . i attended norfolk h s from 66 to 70 . i hesitate with the word attended because i was a frequent wagger 'which may explain my poor punctuation etc. i do notice however no mention of lass senior she took us for french in 2nd year superceded by lass grant in the 3rd .i was saddened at the news of mcdermotts death . i liked that bloke he was allways fair 'and indeed allowed me in the school football team for 3 years left wing before being dropped in the fourth year .my crime ducking and bottling a header it was acold saturday morning match and the ball was coming back from alow orbit of the planet those plastic balls were heavy back then it would have taken my head off i think it was at silverdale . hope this stirs some other memories and that ive done this right.

i m ust appologise if this is going in the wrong place or order iam new to this e mail and computer stuff. i was interested by some of your letters posted . i attended norfolk h s from 66 to 70 . i hesitate with the word attended because i was a frequent wagger 'which may explain my poor punctuation etc. i do notice however no mention of lass senior she took us for french in 2nd year superceded by lass grant in the 3rd .i was saddened at the news of mcdermotts death . i liked that bloke he was allways fair 'and indeed allowed me in the school football team for 3 years left wing before being dropped in the fourth year .my crime ducking and bottling a header it was acold saturday morning match and the ball was coming back from alow orbit of the planet those plastic balls were heavy back then it would have taken my head off i think it was at silverdale . hope this stirs some other memories and that ive done this right.

Hi Davexl5 welcome to the site and to the Norfolk school topic.

There is quite a list (somewhere) of ex Norfolk pupils, covering quite a range of years. Both myself and Daveh were there 1967 - 1972 and Stevehb there slightly earlier (posiibly 66 to 70 like yourself)

DaveH is the man with the knowledge (and memory) about the teachers, I sure he will respond next time he is on the site.

Like you say McDermott was a decent and fair guy, even to myself and Dave who had little interest in sport really.

Sure Dave will have some knowledge of Lass Senior

Hi Davexl5 welcome to the site and to the Norfolk school topic.

There is quite a list (somewhere) of ex Norfolk pupils, covering quite a range of years. Both myself and Daveh were there 1967 - 1972 and Stevehb there slightly earlier (posiibly 66 to 70 like yourself)

DaveH is the man with the knowledge (and memory) about the teachers, I sure he will respond next time he is on the site.

Like you say McDermott was a decent and fair guy, even to myself and Dave who had little interest in sport really.

Sure Dave will have some knowledge of Lass Senior

Ex PUPILS of Norfolk school

Norfolk - Davekowl - 1963

Norfolk - SteveHB - 1970

Norfolk - Stuart0742 - 1972

Norfolk - DaveH - 1972

Norfolk - Suzy - 1974

Norfolk - ShellyBarnes - 1976

Norfolk - Shely - 1979

Norfolk - Wayneybabes - 1990

Norfolk - SheffBlade - 1990 > 1992

Guest davexl5

Norfolk - SteveHB - 1970

Norfolk - DaveH - 1972

Norfolk - Suzy - 1974

Norfolk - Shely - 1979

thanks for your response looks like i pressed the right buttons did you know that man dixon was a pilot flying bristol beaufighters in ww2

Norfolk - SteveHB - 1970

Norfolk - DaveH - 1972

Norfolk - Suzy - 1974

Norfolk - Shely - 1979

There's only 9 in this list Stuart.

You have missed out pidd

You have yet to include davexl5

So that makes 11 of us, - still the most represented school on Sheffield History.

We seem to pick up new members of SH from people that are ex-Norfolk who happen to have "found" this thread.

So a word of advice to members who are ex students of other Sheffield schools, - Start your own school thread, - it gets interest and new members.

thanks for your response looks like i pressed the right buttons did you know that man dixon was a pilot flying bristol beaufighters in ww2

Welcome to Sheffield History davexl5,

I am sure that in one of man Dixons great dictated notes sessions he paused for a bit and told us about his part in the war but I would never have remembered it without you reminding me, - thanks for that little gem of information.

I do notice however no mention of lass Senior she took us for french in 2nd year superceded by lass grant in the 3rd

I have not mentioned lass Senior as she left not long after me and Stuart0742 started (1968 perhaps) and she never taught us, - we just sort of saw her around and knew who she was.

I seem to remember that the reason she never taught us was because wasn't she principally a girls PE teacher? The sort of girls equivalent to Man McDermott?

Me and Stuart were taught French by Lass Grant in our first year and she had already been there for quite a while. My elder cousins who must have been there the same time as you 1961 -66 can recall being taught French by "Fifi", a nickname for Lass Grant.

I notice as well davexl5 that you share our man / lass naming system as opposed to the more usual Mr / Miss / Mrs or Sir / Miss used in schools. I think this is fairly unique to Norfolk and seems to have persisted for many years, - several generations of students.

And to be known as "a wagger", - we all know immediately what that means.

Guest davexl5

I have not mentioned lass Senior as she left not long after me and Stuart0742 started (1968 perhaps) and she never taught us, - we just sort of saw her around and knew who she was.

I seem to remember that the reason she never taught us was because wasn't she principally a girls PE teacher? The sort of girls equivalent to Man McDermott?

Me and Stuart were taught French by Lass Grant in our first year and she had already been there for quite a while. My elder cousins who must have been there the same time as you 1961 -66 can recall being taught French by "Fifi", a nickname for Lass Grant.

I notice as well davexl5 that you share our man / lass naming system as opposed to the more usual Mr / Miss / Mrs or Sir / Miss used in schools. I think this is fairly unique to Norfolk and seems to have persisted for many years, - several generations of students.

And to be known as "a wagger", - we all know immediately what that means.

dixon told me about his raf days whilst i was in his creative studies chess group.i hasten to add not my first choice of activity

i think i missed out sports etc most likely i was waggin it when the options were available and thought chess wouldnt be too taxing. another 2 teachers i remember again who may have left before you started'lass king took music and came from kent. lass blenco or blencard took art in quadrangle before lass bray 'there was also a man crank who took maths and was succeeded by longland

dixon told me about his raf days whilst i was in his creative studies chess group.i hasten to add not my first choice of activity

i think i missed out sports etc most likely i was waggin it when the options were available and thought chess wouldnt be too taxing. another 2 teachers i remember again who may have left before you started'lass king took music and came from kent. lass blenco or blencard took art in quadrangle before lass bray 'there was also a man crank who took maths and was succeeded by longland

Great stuff davexl5, - a new set of teachers remembered by someone from another generation at the school.

Lass King, - can't remember her at all

Lass Blenco / Blencard, -could it have been Blanchard? Again can't remember her

Man Crank, definately before my time but remembered by my cousins. With a name like Crank I never knew weather it was for real or they were making it up.

Have you any other old teachers you can add to this 1960's list?

I don't suppose you can remember the name of the female science teacher who left to go and live in Israel (or perhaps she was from Israel in the first place) can you?

It's been bugging me and Stuart for years. She was there while we were first years (1967-8) then left and only taught for a term of Friday afternoons doing science creative activities. We spent ages looking up the most dangerous chemistry experiments we could find only to be told "no you can't do that!". But all that changed when we got Man Bridson (her replacement) and Moggy Matthews who DID let us do whatever experiments we wanted.

Fortunately the school did survive a Friday afternoon disaster in the making on a number of occasions. lol

Did you know that man dixon was a pilot flying bristol beaufighters in ww2

The Bristol Beaufighter had a crew of 2.

Can you imagine what it would be like having Man Dixon as your other crewman?

Dave that would be great. lol

I have a very distant memory of a teacher that I think taught at Norfolk Juniors, but for the life of me I cant remember his name. All I do remember about him is that one day he started behaving strangely and started eating chalk! Not long after he was found to have a brain tumour. Anyone help solve this one please???? <_<