Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Its funny you should mention that because as i was walking around the school, it was eerie as i was so used to there being noise on the corridors, playground and the sound of teachers teaching us all the stuff which has helped us all to get to where we are now.

Walking through the hall brought back the times of assembly, House Point results, the piano playing in the corner, school plays and the Christmas Movie we all sat down to watch (Superman 2 in our case!).

For some reason, the school seemed a lot smaller than in my schooldays, possibly because at that age, everything looked 'big'. My kids school up at Herdings now doesnt seem as small as i thought it was.

I took a moment to breathe in the old school smell, as you say, it was like being in a dream, not wanting to wake up as you felt like you had found your 'home' so to speak

We have a lot to thank Adrian Leigh for, for allowing us to re-visit this heavenly place :rolleyes:

Exactly that sensation. I could almost see myself as a young boy in short trousers walking down that corridor.

That jerkiness you tried to smooth out by slowing the video down only adds to this sensation so please leave it in.

i have added a black and white version of the 2nd video just for you Dave

http://www.youtube.com/user/trophyman74

will edit and upload the 1st video on there tomorrow

makes it even more eerie and ghostly. maybe i should put 'ghost town' by the specials on there lol

Looks good in B&W, almost like something from an old horror film dream sequence now.

Ghost Town would be another good choice of backing, - so now there are 3 videos (including B&W version) and 3 good choices of music to go with it.

Guest wayneybabes

i have added the B&W version of the 1st video, should be ready later today

now just got to get the soundtrack sorted

Excellent stuff wayneybabes.

Both songs make an excellent soundtrack to your film.

Seems to get better every time I see it, - its one of those films that you see something new everytime you watch it that you had missed before, - and then there are more memories about that.

The junior school video also brings back memories of the now gone infant school and nursery.

This was an exact "mirror image" of the Junior school and ran along Cradock Road as the Junior school did along Brimmesfield Road.

Internally the rooms and layout were identical albeit the other way around.

What was the disabled unit corridor in the Junior School was the Nursery corridor of the Infant School.

I started in the nusery in the autumn term of 1958, - at 3 years old I was just old enough to go to nursery and I was lucky enough to get offered a place as we moved onto the Arbourthorne from slum clearance on Wentworth street at about the same time.

Now to say I left Norfolk Secondary in summer 1972, - that's 14 years education at the same school

Can you still do that at a school today?

Its only when I realise how long I spent there (14 years is more than a life sentence for murder these days ;-) ) and how much a part of my life that place has been that its no wonder that it holds so many memories for me.

Guest wayneybabes

The junior school video also brings back memories of the now gone infant school and nursery.

This was an exact "mirror image" of the Junior school and ran along Cradock Road as the Junior school did along Brimmesfield Road.

Internally the rooms and layout were identical albeit the other way around.

What was the disabled unit corridor in the Junior School was the Nursery corridor of the Infant School.

I started in the nusery in the autumn term of 1958, - at 3 years old I was just old enough to go to nursery and I was lucky enough to get offered a place as we moved onto the Arbourthorne from slum clearance on Wentworth street at about the same time.

Now to say I left Norfolk Secondary in summer 1972, - that's 14 years education at the same school

Can you still do that at a school today?

Its only when I realise how long I spent there (14 years is more than a life sentence for murder these days ;-) ) and how much a part of my life that place has been that its no wonder that it holds so many memories for me.

exactly the same here, from nursery until leaving age

i cant think of a school where you can do that nowadays either

exactly the same here, from nursery until leaving age

i cant think of a school where you can do that nowadays either

So you served a 14 year sentence as well.

Stuart managed to get away with just a 5 year stretch. lol

Guest wayneybabes

noticed this morning they have started to erect the girders for the new building in the bottom yard

didnt take them long

Guest wayneybabes

Dave/Suzy

i am sure you will both have good stories to tell about harvest festival and delivering the baskets to old folk of arbourthorne?

Guest wayneybabes

So which school was your favourite? I have to rate mine as follows:

Infants - Reasonable, met some wonderful friends

Juniors - Fantastic School, best days of my life. learned so much there and so many happy memories

Seniors - Didnt like much, mainly due to being split up from friends to accomodate the Park Hill lot!!

noticed this morning they have started to erect the girders for the new building in the bottom yard

didnt take them long

The new building, -

thats the bit in those plans you sent us which I don't like.

Looks very modern and futuristic and not in keeping with the rest of the school at all

So which school was your favourite? I have to rate mine as follows:

Infants - Reasonable, met some wonderful friends

Juniors - Fantastic School, best days of my life. learned so much there and so many happy memories

Seniors - Didnt like much, mainly due to being split up from friends to accomodate the Park Hill lot!!

For me completely the reverse wayneybabes.

Seniors best by far, - with Stuart with me at this stage every day was a guaranteed barrel of laughs and we had adopted the attitude that we were going to take the school for everything it could offer us, - so we learnt a lot at the same time as enjoying ourselves, did well academically and ended up as being chosen by the teachers as being the ones most likely to support the school in just about any cause.

Juniors wasn't bad, had my ups and downs in there. Some years I came near the top, others near the bottom, sometimes I enjoyed it and at others I hated it. I was more emotional and up and down at that age anyway. However, what Junior school did do was kick start my interest in lots of subjects and even without the 11+ it set me up ready for my brilliant performance in the senior school.

Not so keen on the infants, - to a little kid it seemed a big, dark, dangerous world out there full of big kids, haunted corridors and teachers that shouted and scared you a bit. However, the nursery was good, - you got a breakfast as well as a dinner, got to play with all the big toys and you got a little bed to have an hours sleep after dinner.

Dave/Suzy

i am sure you will both have good stories to tell about harvest festival and delivering the baskets to old folk of arbourthorne?

Never had to deliver the hampers, - I think that job went mainly to girls as old folk on the Arbourthorne saw the girls as less threatening and they really didn't want some uncouth looking yob of a teenage lad knocking on the door offering them a hamper.

Mind you, if they sent the girls out I don't suppose they would want to be knocking on the door of uncle perv the paedophile or the Arbourthorne Flasher :o

My part in the harvest festivals was actually down to my grandad rather than the school.

Having retired early due to ill health and been moved from Daisy walk to the Herdings under slum clearance he now had plenty of time and a decent garden instead of a back yard.

He had always been a keen amateur gardener and had grown plants to exhibition standard as well as growing his own fruit and veg.

He would always ask me when the harvest festival was going to be and grew certain things especially for it, including great bunches of flowers.

So, while other kids just went to the Harvest Festival with a few tins of stuff and the odd cabbage I was lumbered with bunches of carnations, chrysanthymums, gladioli, fuchias as well as beans, carrots, onions, potatoes....

Must admit I quite enjoyed harvest festivals and as a teacher now its total disappearance in schools today has not gone un-noticed.

didnt take them long

The new extension takes shape, up go the girders.

taking shape

still looked better as a playground :angry:

I think all of us ex Norfolk students fully agree with that statement.

Must have spent hours in that playground as a kid.

I think all of us ex Norfolk students fully agree with that statement.

Must have spent hours in that playground as a kid.

Yep - some of the best times, just messing around in the playground lol

Yep - some of the best times, just messing around in the playground lol

Spent hours when we were in secondary school queuing up in that playground waiting for our school dinner, served by my 2 aunties.

Strangely, the seniors had to enter from the Junior school yard but the juniors had to go around the back of the building to get in there.

Guest wayneybabes

Spent hours when we were in secondary school queuing up in that playground waiting for our school dinner, served by my 2 aunties.

Strangely, the seniors had to enter from the Junior school yard but the juniors had to go around the back of the building to get in there.

at the risk of being non-pc, does anybody remember the spazz spoon?

at the risk of being non-pc, does anybody remember the spazz spoon?

Can't say that I do but on the other hand it sounds vaguely and remotely familiar.

Go on wayneybabes, - either remind or enlighten us.

Something I distinctly remember about the Junior School and that is once getting invited to sit on the same table as Mr Rackham the Headteacher at lunch, along with some other pupils. We had sausages and he passed me the English mustard - seemed disrespectful to refuse, so I then put some on the sausages, having never had mustard before in my life :blink: They tasted horrid, but I politely ate them and never tried mustard again until my 20's, by which time my tastes had changed - however, still never play the part of Colonel Mustard in Cluedo he he he he