Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

Just makes me wonder if the works department / Sheffield Education Committee who own the building ever take their own internal shots for their own records, - and if so is there any way we could get to see them?

Dave, you must be psychic, keep a look out next week for some internal photos i will be posting courtesy of the bloke in charge of the refurbishments who has promised to send me some photos he has taken, and also will try to get someone to take some more today although, they might not turn out very good as there is currently no electricity supply in the school as they have started stripping it out.

And Suzy, i have asked him if he can get a picture of the quadrangle lol

Dave, you must be psychic, keep a look out next week for some internal photos i will be posting courtesy of the bloke in charge of the refurbishments who has promised to send me some photos he has taken, and also will try to get someone to take some more today although, they might not turn out very good as there is currently no electricity supply in the school as they have started stripping it out.

What a star you are he he

How very sad that they are now refurbishing and it will never be the same again. Another part of our Sheffield heritage being ripped apart :angry:

Its also sad that a plaque has never been erected saying there was once a senior school on the site where the houses are now :(

Thanks for your efforts wayneybabes - I really look forward to seeing the photos and am crossing fingers, toes, etc.,, that they turn out well.

Guest wayneybabes

That yellow digger in the first picture could just about be at the end of the flooded, mud and silt blocked shelter.

Who knows, perhaps they could unearth it for us to get a better look. ;-)

i have sent an email asking if they have come across any shelters and if they have/do can they take any photos

To further this challenge to our secondary school (don't want Stuart0742 to feel left out) with the 6 houses named after steel works.

1)

The men who made the steel

Each house name is not just a steel works, it is the surname of the founder / owner of those works.

Presumably they are all Sheffield steel men, so do we have their life stories with dates and events and achievements.

Once again, rather than write a book about them in a school thread, perhaps links would be more appropriate to detailed biographies elsewhere.

2)

The factories and premises of the steel companies

As each house is a famous steel works, where was that steel works? what years? what happened to it? what exactly did they make? When did it close or get taken over? etc.

Do we have pictures to go with the locations of these steel works?

To start it off and as I was in Osborne here is a picture of Osborne steel works in 2007.

Are they still open and working? How long have they been there?

Again a lot of local history content in this one.

Oh you already have a photo of Samuel Osborn's

This one was taken today just in case it has changed, I note the bushes in the river have grown :)

Oh you already have a photo of Samuel Osborn's

This one was taken today just in case it has changed, I note the bushes in the river have grown :)

Mine were taken in April 2007 so there is about two and a half years growth on those bushes between the 2 shots.

Go on, have a moan about too many bushes getting in the pictures these days :angry:

Not psychic, just aware that the works department do sometimes take archive pictures of the work they do, - there are many examples on picture sheffield.

Looks like you have got an excellent result there though wayneybabes, well done! ;-)

i have sent an email asking if they have come across any shelters and if they have/do can they take any photos

That would be good as well, lets hope they find them and get us some pictures.

Mine were taken in April 2007 so there is about two and a half years growth on those bushes between the 2 shots.

Go on, have a moan about too many bushes getting in the pictures these days :angry:

Me moan, would not dream of it :P

Isn't Tyzacs old place now that sports shop opposite St. Mary's Church?

No it used to be Texas DIY taken over by Homebase and closed.

Yes thats the place.

What was it before it was Texas DIY?

I'm sure it used to say TYZAC on it.

Isn't Tyzacs old place now that sports shop opposite St. Mary's Church?

While we're at it where exactly were the other steel works which were used as our school houses?

The place I was thinking of is currently Decathlon.

I don't know if it is still open or not but they sell / sold sports clothing.

Previous to being Decathlon it had been Texas DIY and then Homebase.

But was it Tyzacs before it became Texas DIY?

Dave

re the search for the coats of arms, Hunter gives family trees of the major families, along with a picture and description of their coats of arms. I've got it on disk but the resolution is too poor to reproduce. RichardB has an original copy though, so perhaps he could provide a better quality scan? Just a thought..

Dave

re the search for the coats of arms, Hunter gives family trees of the major families, along with a picture and description of their coats of arms. I've got it on disk but the resolution is too poor to reproduce. RichardB has an original copy though, so perhaps he could provide a better quality scan? Just a thought..

There are some pictures of coats of arms in the links I have put in this thread to the "houses" which are on external sites.

Even these are very low quality and often only black and white line diagrams.

I am sure there will be good copies of the coats of arms somewhere even if Richard can't oblige us (depending on the quality of his original copies)

If only it was Dave :rolleyes:

Can anyone gain access to what is left of the Junior school to get some pics inside (legally of course - not a break in, in the dead of night!!) Or has anyone got any pics of the inside already? Would love to see them and bring back a few more memories :huh:

Breaking into the school at present may be a bit like breaking into a top secret military establishment.

As this school is now a "referal unit" for students with behavioural problems that have been excluded from other mainstream schools isn't it a pity that they don't spend as much on security to keep the bad lads IN as they do trying to keep us OUT <_<

That yellow digger in the first picture could just about be at the end of the flooded, mud and silt blocked shelter.

Who knows, perhaps they could unearth it for us to get a better look. ;-)

The yellow digger was in just about the right position BUT, by examining these pictures I took this morning over all that fencing and using as much zoom as I dare without getting camera shake it appears they are only scraping the surface up to a depth of less than a foot.

Nowhere near deep enough to uncover our shelters :(

The yellow digger was in just about the right position BUT, by examining these pictures I took this morning over all that fencing and using as much zoom as I dare without getting camera shake it appears they are only scraping the surface up to a depth of less than a foot.

Nowhere near deep enough to uncover our shelters :(

Did find that this had been uncovered at the bottom end (Spring Lane) of the excavated grass bank

Unfortunately its in the wrong place to be part of the shelters and appears to be a manhole into the sewers as it is directly in line and downhill from the boys toilets in the lower school yard and the toilets at the top near the disabled unit corridor.

On Cradock Road the main entrance near the caretakers house seems to be being remade as the line of fencing in these pictures follows the line of the driveway and the one showing the area closesest to the road is clearly an unsurfaced roadway.

On Cradock Road the main entrance near the caretakers house seems to be being remade as the line of fencing in these pictures follows the line of the driveway and the one showing the area closesest to the road is clearly an unsurfaced roadway.

Those 2 bits of red and white fencing on the extreme right of the picture, just to the right of the green works unit mark the entrance to the old school gym which was just behind the caretakers house.

The other 2 colour works unit and the trees behind and to the right of it mark the position of the school animal house, - in fact I am sure that one of those trees, as a much smaller sapling, stood right in front of the animal house.

Just behind that 2 colour unit would be the end of the tennis courts and annexe buildings. That's roughly the point where the underground air raid shelters ended so its not suprising then that we never got a telephone line through the shelters and out to the gym.

REASON FOR EDIT, Picture inserted in post as only the attachment link is appearing in the quote box DaveH

If you follow these instructions on how to enter the site

You would end up walking down this corridor thing to the doors of the old school dining hall and kitchens.

Made that journey a few times in the past lol

More 2 colour (blue and white) works units in what was the old school yard in a position that would put them almost under the bridge

The old nursery school yard (Cradock Road) appears to have been partially rebuilt, although I think this may be a temporary measure for access of works vehicles.

Breaking into the school at present may be a bit like breaking into a top secret military establishment.

As this school is now a "referal unit" for students with behavioural problems that have been excluded from other mainstream schools isn't it a pity that they don't spend as much on security to keep the bad lads IN as they do trying to keep us OUT <_<

Too right Dave. I just hope we can get some inside shots before all is lost forever :o

Well done with the photos.