Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Man McDermott would have gone mad!!!! :angry:

Just look at the state of our old school field :blink:

Its overgrown, and look at that bank that we had to sit on to watch sports day while Curly Whitham was on the microphone, -

"It Hadfield first over the line for full points, followed by Neill and Osborne close behind, then Tyzac, just beating Balfour and way out last its Firth"

Spent many a games lesson on that field. ;-)

Not long ago a bloke who has a house on City Road which backs onto this field used to graze his donkey / pony on it! :o

The grass bank we had to sit on to watch sports day

Something which resembles the tennis courts that were behind the bank appears to still be there but the annexe buildings behind those were long gone even before they started knocking the school down.

So when did the annexe go? - 1980's? 90's?

When they knocked them down did they uncover the old air raid shelters which ran directly beneath them?

He still does mate

OK so the guy who has this outside his front door

Keeps the horse that pulls it on the old school field

Picture of the remaining part of the school (the student referral unit) from the back (the secondary school side)

Nice inclusion of that rainbow, - I didn't think it would show up as well.

I suppose the rest of the school is "Somewhere over the rainbow" lol

Picture of the remaining part of the school (the student referral unit) from the back (the secondary school side)

Nice inclusion of that rainbow, - I didn't think it would show up as well.

I suppose the rest of the school is "Somewhere over the rainbow" lol

If only it was Dave :rolleyes:

Can anyone gain access to what is left of the Junior school to get some pics inside (legally of course - not a break in, in the dead of night!!) Or has anyone got any pics of the inside already? Would love to see them and bring back a few more memories :huh:

If only it was Dave :rolleyes:

Can anyone gain access to what is left of the Junior school to get some pics inside (legally of course - not a break in, in the dead of night!!) Or has anyone got any pics of the inside already? Would love to see them and bring back a few more memories :huh:

Now there's an idea, pictures taken inside the building!

Unfortunately most of the school has gone, but the old junior school is still open as a student referral unit.

That means its a place for naughty boys and girls who have been "excluded" (expelled) from mainstream schools.

If you want to get inside Norfolk Juniors all you have to do is go back to school (any Sheffield school), play up a lot and cause total disruption, swear a lot, get involved in fights and other barely legal activities and they will send you to Norfolk School Referral Unit lol

If you want to try it don't forget your camera ;-)

my mate is pretty sure it was as follows

FURNIVAL = RED

NEVILLE = BLUE

LOVETOT = GREEN

SHREWSBURY = YELLOW

I'm glad we seem to at least agree on the names of the 4 houses.

As no one has yet come up with a history of Neville (We have links to the other 3 families) I was a bit worried when I mentioned this to another ex Norfolk junior school student and was told

"That's because there wasn't a house called Neville" (He did agree with the other 3 though)

he then added "The fourth house was called Talbot"

So who is right? What exactly were the 4 houses? Have we only named 3 of them? Was the fourth house called Talbot?

Or even, - where there in fact 6 houses, - including Neville and Talbot, and we are still one short of a full set.

Must admit this conversation has made me have to think agin about the Junior school houses.

Guest wayneybabes

Definately NOT Talbot 100% (at least while i was there between 82 and 86)

and also while i was there there where only 4 houses

Guest wayneybabes

Now there's an idea, pictures taken inside the building!

Unfortunately most of the school has gone, but the old junior school is still open as a student referral unit.

That means its a place for naughty boys and girls who have been "excluded" (expelled) from mainstream schools.

If you want to get inside Norfolk Juniors all you have to do is go back to school (any Sheffield school), play up a lot and cause total disruption, swear a lot, get involved in fights and other barely legal activities and they will send you to Norfolk School Referral Unit lol

If you want to try it don't forget your camera ;-)

i have tried phoning the referral unit this morning but no-one is there to take my call (probably with the half term holidays). if any of you want to try, the link with the phone number is http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_providers/f...eferral%20units

Guest wayneybabes

The grass bank we had to sit on to watch sports day

Something which resembles the tennis courts that were behind the bank appears to still be there but the annexe buildings behind those were long gone even before they started knocking the school down.

So when did the annexe go? - 1980's? 90's?

When they knocked them down did they uncover the old air raid shelters which ran directly beneath them?

the annexe went either 1987 or 88 i think ( it was definately between 1986 and 89)

Talbot was the family name of the Earls of Shrewsbury, so it's unlikely there'd be both Talbot and Shrewsbury houses.

Guest wayneybabes

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread...1482&page=6

post #110 says there was Talbot AND Shrewsbury (this was around 1970 so must have changed when i went)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread...482&page=22

post #433 they where all different in 1958-61

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread...482&page=19

post #363 all four from the 50's named here

i have tried phoning the referral unit this morning but no-one is there to take my call (probably with the half term holidays). if any of you want to try, the link with the phone number is http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_providers/f...eferral%20units

Keep trying wayneybabes - the hopes of the ex-junior school pupils rest with you - No pressure then!!! lol

Do you know if the quadrangle survived at all?

Guest wayneybabes

Keep trying wayneybabes - the hopes of the ex-junior school pupils rest with you - No pressure then!!! lol

Do you know if the quadrangle survived at all?

as far as i know, according to someone who lives on brimmersfield, yes

Guest wayneybabes

My old house is the yellow one with the Passageway next to the white house with extension (3rd chimney from right)

Happy Days

as far as i know, according to someone who lives on brimmersfield, yes

If you manage to get in touch with the Junior School and need some time off from your work to go and get those all important inside shots we are all waiting for, I will have a word with your Manager and pave the way - I have heard he is a decent sort of chap! lol

Guest wayneybabes

If you manage to get in touch with the Junior School and need some time off from your work to go and get those all important inside shots we are all waiting for, I will have a word with your Manager and pave the way - I have heard he is a decent sort of chap! lol

Nah he's a scrooge, He will dock me an hours wages lol

Guest wayneybabes

Been past on the tram today and from the tennis courts all the way up to the fence on spring lane it is fenced off and there are diggers digging up the ground where the old bridge was located. They have also finally cut the grass on the school field (the horse was still on there though!).

if i get chance on the way home i will take a photo and upload tomorrow

I am quite convinced wayneybabes that we are right but there is always someone who will throw a spanner in the works and put just an element of doubt in my mind. They were the same 4 houses when I was there (1963 - 67) so at least 23 years of Lovetot, Furnival, Neville and Shrewsbury.

the annexe went either 1987 or 88 i think ( it was definately between 1986 and 89)

I am sure I went to watch a sports day in either 1985 or 1986 and the annexe had gone but the tennis courts were still there so I would have put the date of the annexe demise at the beginning of your quoted period or just slightly before, - mid 80's anyway.

Talbot was the family name of the Earls of Shrewsbury, so it's unlikely there'd be both Talbot and Shrewsbury houses.

Thanks for the extra information there Bayleaf.

We are fairly convinced that there was a Shrewsbury but no Talbot and your info is sort of confirming this.

Have you any idea where Neville comes into all this?

It's that long since I was at Junior school when we did about this local history when we did house activities that I have forgotten!