Mystery Location

DaveH

Thanks for the names neddy, I didn't know many of them. My brother is on both of

them. Toni Dali the Italian singer also worked there but is not on the photograph.

Before adding this to the date-stones topic, does anybody recognise this place

Clue, its a school

Yours is 1875, mine is 1876, so if we're playing top trumps I win lol

surely in a history context 1875 would beat 1876 in history top trumps lol

So who is the fair maiden on both these photo's

Don't know, but why is she surrounded by a canon, a castle an anvil and 2 other objects I am not sure about?

Must be something to do with an old schools board.

but why is she surrounded by a canon, a castle an anvil and 2 other objects I am not sure about?

In order to advance knowledge. (according to the motto) :)

In order to advance knowledge. (according to the motto) :)

Look what I found. :)

You are bidding on item #E559. A monumental 19th century carved limestone plaque from the facade of an old school. The plaque if formed by three pieces of stone and I don't have much info on it's history but I was told it belonged to the facade to an old English school building back in the 19th century. The piece is beautifully carved and the design is a kind of blazon or coat of arms with a center figure of a roman soldier with helmet surrounded by the motto or phrase " DEI GRATIA SCIENTIA PRODERIT" . There are also smaller carvings on the corners depicting an elephant head, a tower from an old castle, a cannon and a pair of crossed swords. A spectacular piece for your garden decoration or interior why not. A one of a kind piece , don't let it go!!! CONDITION: Very good shape for age with normal wear, small pieces of carving like arrowheads missing. Overall condition for age , excellent. Bid with confidence!!! MEASURES: 54" WIDE X 50" HIGH Total. Base stone is 43" WIDE X 18" HIGH X 12" DEEP. Center stone is 54" WIDE X 27" HIGH X 7 1/2" DEEP . Top stone is 43" WIDE X 9" HIGH X 9 1/2" DEEP approx. WEIGHT: Each stone piece is really heavy I don't have the exact weight but my guess for the whole piece is around the 1100 pounds so this will need to be sent by freight. European, dates back to the 19th century.

Better go back and see if it's still there. :o

Where and when ? W/E.

I know where thats easy, but when, now thats a twist to the mystery location.

Well when? I bet daveH will know the year he tends to remember this sort of thing.

Its a few years since that location was Mobil, my guess 1994

Look what I found. :)

You are bidding on item #E559. A monumental 19th century carved limestone plaque from the facade of an old school. The plaque if formed by three pieces of stone and I don't have much info on it's history but I was told it belonged to the facade to an old English school building back in the 19th century. The piece is beautifully carved and the design is a kind of blazon or coat of arms with a center figure of a roman soldier with helmet surrounded by the motto or phrase " DEI GRATIA SCIENTIA PRODERIT" . There are also smaller carvings on the corners depicting an elephant head, a tower from an old castle, a cannon and a pair of crossed swords. A spectacular piece for your garden decoration or interior why not. A one of a kind piece , don't let it go!!! CONDITION: Very good shape for age with normal wear, small pieces of carving like arrowheads missing. Overall condition for age , excellent. Bid with confidence!!! MEASURES: 54" WIDE X 50" HIGH Total. Base stone is 43" WIDE X 18" HIGH X 12" DEEP. Center stone is 54" WIDE X 27" HIGH X 7 1/2" DEEP . Top stone is 43" WIDE X 9" HIGH X 9 1/2" DEEP approx. WEIGHT: Each stone piece is really heavy I don't have the exact weight but my guess for the whole piece is around the 1100 pounds so this will need to be sent by freight. European, dates back to the 19th century.

Better go back and see if it's still there. :o

So that's where I left it? :o

I know where thats easy, but when, now thats a twist to the mystery location.

Well when? I bet daveH will know the year he tends to remember this sort of thing.

Its a few years since that location was Mobil, my guess 1994

Not sure where this petrol station is but, as I keep records of all my spending on fuel going back to 1978 I can confirm that the price of 1 litre of unleaded fuel was arond the 50p per litre mark in 1994, - so I'm with you on the date Stuart ;-)

However, - there have been ups and downs in the price so it could be a garage selling at inflated prices during a fuel shortage (not likely to be a special extra cheap discount price though as there are no car queueing up for miles to buy it).

Also in times of shortage some individual garages have charged highly inflated prices.

No one has yet suggested where either Stuarts 1875 and my 1876 but otherwise identical educational establishment date stones are.

Not sure where this petrol station is but, as I keep records of all my spending on fuel going back to 1978 I can confirm that the price of 1 litre of unleaded fuel was arond the 50p per litre mark in 1994, - so I'm with you on the date Stuart ;-)

However, - there have been ups and downs in the price so it could be a garage selling at inflated prices during a fuel shortage (not likely to be a special extra cheap discount price though as there are no car queueing up for miles to buy it).

Also in times of shortage some individual garages have charged highly inflated prices.

I knew you'd know lol

The petrol station is Meadowhead and it looks like 1994 seems favourite for the year.

I have just done a bit of searching and for those interested, try this site http://www.ukpia.com/fuel_prices_historic_data.aspx

but here are a few of there relevant pdf documents on historic petrol prices

1902___1994.pdf

1995___1999.pdf

2000___2007.pdf

People think I'm daft for keeping records of fuel prices <_<

Turns out there are people running websites devoted to it :unsure:

and Stuart's daft enough to log onto them lol

Didn't I have a thread somewhere (link fairy) about the cost of fuel, something else and Mrs Miggins pies??

OK, so I can be my own link fairy

The price of petrol, beer and Mrs Miggins pies

Spot on, well done. Nothing much changes though. More than 1 million motorists sign a petition calling for a law to control the price of petrol, also in the same year the London Police were told that, as a means of transport, they will get cars instead of horses. `The Times` January 1920. W/E.

Before adding this to the date-stones topic, does anybody recognise this place

Clue, its a school

It is called Springfield Primary School and its address is Broomspring Lane

It is called Springfield Primary School and its address is Broomspring Lane

Correct

Springfield School it is, well done

Thats mine what about DaveH's, I don't know, but would suspect VOX's answer is wrong as I know where Dave gets to.