Mystery Location

DaveH

I think VOX must have fell a sleep at the screen, been on this topic all afternoon, come on vox wakey wakey

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz --- ohh mm uh what.

Av got t' gu down f' mi tea.

What's this all about then, or am I reading it wrong?

"Ceremony of laying foundation stone for new headquarters station in Division Street, 1927"

Link to .. The History of Sheffield's Fire Brigades 1923-1937

I don't know, I just walked past saw the stone and thought of the date-stones topic.

Is the stone wrong, Is "The History of Sheffield fire Brigades " wrong

or are they both right ?? <_<

Easy once somebody has guessed the street

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/B00007.jpg

Using a picturesheffield link for a mystery location?

My grandmother used to live on Division Street / Devonshire Street almost opposite this fire station when she ran Cuneo's "ice cream parlour" which also sold sweets and had a legal gambling room because you played only with tokens and not money. Any tokens you won were exchangable only for ice cream or sweets. I have mentioned this in another thread somewhere.

I don't know, I just walked past saw the stone and thought of the date-stones topic.

Is the stone wrong, Is "The History of Sheffield fire Brigades " wrong

or are they both right ?? <_<

Could be me but The History of Sheffield's Fire Brigades site don't read right in my eyes,

"A row of shops fronting Division Street from Rockingham Street to Rockingham Lane was purchased and demolished, plans were prepared, tenders for the building were accepted and in July 1929."

"The Sheffield City Fire Department Headquarters, Division Street, was officially opened July, 1929."

And a photo of ..

"Ceremony of laying foundation stone for new headquarters station in Division Street, 1927 "

:blink:

Along with..

Could be me but The History of Sheffield's Fire Brigades site don't read right in my eyes,

"A row of shops fronting Division Street from Rockingham Street to Rockingham Lane was purchased and demolished, plans were prepared, tenders for the building were accepted and in July 1929."

"The Sheffield City Fire Department Headquarters, Division Street, was officially opened July, 1929."

And a photo of ..

"Ceremony of laying foundation stone for new headquarters station in Division Street, 1927 "

:blink:

Along with..

Perhaps an error by the Stone Mason, gone un-noticed for 80 years <_<

Perhaps an error by the Stone Mason, gone un-noticed for 80 years <_<

More likely the history of Sheffield Fire Service is wrong.

Its easy to type the wrong letter in a book or article when you are going at several words per minute but much less likely when every single letter has to be chiselled out of stone.

...and what a costly mistake that would be, given the cost of stone (compared to paper) and the time, effort and craftsmanship of the mason.

A bit like the guy who was caught in City Road cemetry one night chiselling at one of the grave headstones.

Someone saw him and asked what he thought he was doing desecrating a gravestone at some unearthly hour in the morning

to whivh he replied, -

"They've spelt my name wrong!"

he helol he he

Think this one may take some time

For the Record my last one was the old midland bank now the bankers draft , however this one is still live:

You are right it is Sheffield & Hallamshire and it is a boundry marker

So what does the B stand for then ?

I did say there had been 4 in Central Sheffield

West Bar

Division St

Wellington St

Eyre St

but I now believe the number to be 5, any quick guesses as to number 1

Rockingham Street

For the Record my last one was the old midland bank now the bankers draft , however this one is still live:

You are right it is Sheffield & Hallamshire and it is a boundry marker

So what does the B stand for then ?

Brierlow perhaps?

This is a word which seems to follow the names of Sheffield districts on census forms, as in for example "Ecclesall Brierlow"

Brierlow perhaps?

This is a word which seems to follow the names of Sheffield districts on census forms, as in for example "Ecclesall Brierlow"

Sorry about the double posting but the site is really playing up for me tonight. It took over 3 minutes for the post to go through and the first one came back with "the server you trying to upload to is not accepting connections"

Not had that one before, - but its annoying.

Brierlow perhaps?

We have come across similar before,

we never did find out what the 'E W' stood for.

"Ecclesall Wierdo" perhaps

;-)

We have come across similar before,

we never did find out what the 'E W' stood for.

"Ecclesall Wierdo" perhaps

;-)

Are we looking at these boundary markers from the wrong perspective, could they just be local boundary markers for the property they are in front of

Busman confirms the SH is Sheffield Hallamshire, could the B be Bank, was there a Sheffield & Hallamshire Bank, if so where was it

I think the 'B' on bus mans marker stands for 'Borough'

-Sheffield Hallamshire Borough-

to do with council constituency boundaries.

The 'W' on my marker could be 'Ward'

as in ward boundary.

East Ward or Ecclesall Ward B'dry ?

I think the 'B' on bus mans marker stands for 'Borough'

-Sheffield Hallamshire Borough-

to do with council constituency boundaries.

The 'W' on my marker could be 'Ward'

as in ward boundary.

East Ward or Ecclesall Ward B'dry ?

Or Electoral Ward Bdry

I've been looking into this and there are maps of the electoral wards in Sheffield. These boundaries have moved over the years so nothing is for sure but the Electoral Ward boundary of Sheffield Central runs very close to Shoreham street/ Charlotte Road.

The map shows the new boundary as of 2004 and the previous one. It is not beyond the realms to think that these boundaries have been changed on more than one occasion in the past.

Here are Pdfs of all the Ward Boundaries.

WARD BOUNDARIES

The Pdf was too large to upload so I've taken a screen shot.

The red line shows the present boundary and the blue line is the boundary prior to 2004

A bit of history about busmans 'Bankers Draft PH'

April 5 1904

"Opening of the new premises of the York City and County Banking Company, Market Place"

Source of information .. 'Dunsbyowls' Whitaker's Sheffield Almanac - January to June, It happened on this day

Are we looking at these boundary markers from the wrong perspective, could they just be local boundary markers for the property they are in front of

Busman confirms the SH is Sheffield Hallamshire, could the B be Bank, was there a Sheffield & Hallamshire Bank, if so where was it

Whether its a boundary marker for the Sheffield & Hallamshire Bank or a Ward boundary as suggested by Steve, at least I now know where the Sheffield & Hallamshire Bank was?

Any guesses? its easy really

Busman's quiet on this one, give some guidance or comment Busman

Sheffield and Hallamshire Savings Bank, established 1819 was on XXXXXXX St

Sheffield City Centre branch on XXXXXX St was opened 1837 according to the plaque outside or 1836 on the Gates to the side of the premises.

I note you have 7X's I have 6X's, don't think we are talking about the same branch or did my branch replace your branch :)

Hope you are all still with this <_<