Mystery Location

DaveH

A guess at the initials = Sheffield & Hallam (shire) B!!!!!!!!. Boundry, I have seen this somewhere, but at present, the memory fails me.

Guest bus man

A guess at the initials = Sheffield & Hallam (shire) B!!!!!!!!. Boundry, I have seen this somewhere, but at present, the memory fails me.

No marks whatsoever - sorry - for working out its a boundry stone , where is it ?

Well I can only think of Sheffield & High Bradfield.

It's obviously on the ground as opposed to in a wall.

Also looks to be set in asphalt so it's on a pavement or road.

I don't think they'd set it into a road for quite a few fairly obvious reasons.

Looking on the map, I'm having an "all or nothing" stab at between Worrall and High Bradfield.

I recon I'm either nearer than a close place, or completely on the wrong planet.

Now I'm sitting back waiting for the flack. lol

So could it be Sheffield & Heeley Bottom Boudary?

Just a guess

Sorry if its not my turn however , this one is so easy it will be done in seconds (hope its not been done before)

Think this one may take some time

This Topic seems to have died with two unsolved Mysteries still running,

I did PM bus man with the correct answer to the bank door.

So in the mean time here's another Mystery Location for you to ponder on ..

Where is this mile plate ?

Location for this Steve is 10 miles from Hathersage lol

Damnation - you got there first. :angry:

It was asking for that answer wasn't it? :)

No,

It could have been 16 miles from Castleton or 22 miles from Chapel en le Frith

The milepost gives 3 possible answers.

As these are roughly the distances that these places are from Sheffield it must be somewhere fairly local, in Sheffield.

No,

It could have been 16 miles from Castleton or 22 miles from Chapel en le Frith

The milepost gives 3 possible answers.

As these are roughly the distances that these places are from Sheffield it must be somewhere fairly local, in Sheffield.

I reckon Hathersage is 11.5 miles from city centre so that puts us 1.5 miles from the Town Hall (I think there has been discussion before about where mileages are measured from )

Queens Road/London road Heeley?

OR

Bottom of Ecclesall Road?

Queens Road/London road Heeley?

OR

Bottom of Ecclesall Road?

Agree with Ecclesall Road vox, or even possibly Abbeydale Road

At least then the sign would be pointing in the right direction for all these places.

Aren't they all on the same A??? road anyway, out to Hathersave, then Hope, then Castleton, then turn up that hill because the main road was closed years ago by a "shivering mountain" landslide. At the top of the hill through the gorge turn right (signposted Manchester I think) to go to Chapel ELF.

Agree with Ecclesall Road vox, or even possibly Abbeydale Road

At least then the sign would be pointing in the right direction for all these places.

Aren't they all on the same A??? road anyway, out to Hathersave, then Hope, then Castleton, then turn up that hill because the main road was closed years ago by a "shivering mountain" landslide. At the top of the hill through the gorge turn right (signposted Manchester I think) to go to Chapel ELF.

I have a book titled "Turnpike Trail" A day out in Derbyshire on the Sheffield and Buxton Turnpike Trail ( Big title small book.)

The route out of Sheffield is South St/The Moor, then London Rd, then Sharrow Ln, then Banner Cross etc

Highfields is at 1.5 miles.

On a negative though the the turnpike to Buxton does not go through Hathersage :(

But London Rd was the main route out of Sheffield though.

So Steves milepost is on the route through to Manchester, would have gone that way out of Sheffield or up past the unversity and Broomhill.

A625 Manchester to Sheffield road

The A625 was the original route which wound it's way up and round Mam Tor. It was built by Sheffield Turnpike Company in early 19th century. It was always in need of repair as a result of land slips. I remember it being single lane traffic in parts after a slip in the mid 70's. I was on my way to Stockport in a JU2 van one day in the late 70's. There was torrential rain and water was flowing down the road like a river. The police were at the traffic lights that used to be around the existing landslip, and it was clear that a few new cracks had opened up. We were directed through a few at a time. Quite scary.

On the way back later that night the road was closed altogether and traffic was diverted down Winnats Pass. The rain had eased and my curiosity got the better of me so I went for a look. The road had failed altogether and a section of it had moved down hill, temporary lights and all. A few days later I went back in daylight for a better look and saw that a whole section had moved down almost intact. I've always wondered what happened at the actual time it went, and if the police were still on it at the time.

I'm not certain but I think it kept on moving even further for a while after that. If you park near the cavern, I think it's the Treak Cliff or the Blue John, you can look down at the old section of road which slid away.

SOME GOOD PHOTOS

By the way, some people call it the Shivering Mountain but I always thought it was called the Shimmering Mountain.

I think both of these routes would have been in existence in one form or another.

Both are 10 miles according to Google

From bottom of the Moor

From Queens Road/London Road Junction

I think both of these routes would have been in existence in one form or another.

Both are 10 miles according to Google

From bottom of the Moor

From Queens Road/London Road Junction

I would have gone for the route following the Buxton Turnpike up Sharrow Ln from London Rd and joining Ecclesall Rd at Bannercross, then picking up Vox's route.

I would have gone for the route following the Buxton Turnpike up Sharrow Ln from London Rd and joining Ecclesall Rd at Bannercross, then picking up Vox's route.

See this link about Highways & byways of Old Sheffield.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest.../highways1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A625_road

Still does not confirm the actual route out of Sheffield

Perhaps when we answer Steve's mystery post

If it is on London Road it would have to be at the very bottom in order to make the distance fit approximately. I can't think of any buildings of the right age which are still standing

Bottom of the Moor is definitely out

So:

Is it on here. The masonry looks right.

Bottom stretch of Cemetery Road.

(Google street view)

If it is on London Road it would have to be at the very bottom in order to make the distance fit approximately. I can't think of any buildings of the right age which are still standing

Bottom of the Moor is definitely out

So:

Is it on here. The masonry looks right.

Bottom stretch of Cemetery Road.

(Google street view)

Well done vox you're spot on.

The Baan Thai Restaurant formerly Midland Bank.

And the amount of times I must have walked past

that mile plate on what was Ecclesall Road,

and never noticed until recently

This photo is of one end of a fairly long walkway/footpath,

it does have a name.

Where is it and what's it called?

Pure guess, London Rd area.

mixture of housing and shops