Mystery Location

DaveH

Am I missing something or are we still trying to decide where this building is?

It's still open for answers binsted71,

Stuart0742 knows the location

along with forum member neddy - who has thrown a clue in.

It's within half a mile from the Town Hall

Correction:

I did in a previous post describe this building as/was a chapel,

sorry but that was an incorrect description .

Punch Bowl, Hurlfield Road and Gleadless Common

Got it in one DickDioxide.

I had predicted that you would be the one to get this one right as you posted that brilliant view of Springs Academy (the very angular building) in the fog as a mystery location about this time last year and of course the Punch Bowl is just across across the road from it. ;-)

A bit like my other the prediction that "DickDioxide" had some sort of chemistry connection. lol

The Punch Bowl was a favourite place of my father and uncles.

My dad, with uncles Bob, Bill and Fred and with my mum and corresponding aunties used to go in there every Sunday night.

Sadly, out of the 8 of them my mum is the last survivor, the only one still alive.

In some ways this is not that suprising as in their day, pre smoking ban the pub filled up with cigarette smoke and not matter how often they redecorated it was always coloured nicotine brown.

Along with some of my cousins I occasionally ventured in there with them but as a non-smoker I simply couldn't stand it for more than half an hour, - it smelt, it gave me a sore throat and made my eyes so sore I just had to come out.

I think I nicknamed it "the gas chamber" lol

What's this then? :unsure:

My guess is, somewhere on the 5 weirs walk, not far from the gate posts which may be Royds Mill.

It depends which way you walked the 5 weirs walk :)

So Paul was walking from the Meadowhall then towards town

I bet that was hard work carrying all the Christmas shopping back from Meadowhall,

thought they would have walked to Meadowhall and got the tram back to town?

Still no idea what that sculpture feature on the 5 weirs is,

could it be part of a casting mould or is it church related?

So Paul was walking from the Meadowhall then towards town

Yes Stuart I did! but then walked back to Meadowhell down the Canal - no shopping at all.

That feature is a bit off I thought Steve would know! :rolleyes:

It's still open for answers binsted71,

Stuart0742 knows the location

along with forum member neddy - who has thrown a clue in.

It's within half a mile from the Town Hall

Correction:

I did in a previous post describe this building as/was a chapel,

sorry but that was an incorrect description .

This one seems to be poseing a problem,

so here is another - some what restricted view of the same church featured building.

Courtesy of Google Street

Well done Syl. :)

It is Leadmill Mission Room at the juction of Matilda Lane/Mortimer Street.

picturesheffield

picturesheffield 02

Members Stuart0742 and neddy,

also share the correct answer

Thats partly because Stuart0742 used to live within sight of it from their room window, you should have barred him Steve!

Thats partly because Stuart0742 used to live within sight of it from their room window, you should have barred him Steve!

It was my Bedroom window :P

Stuart did inform me that his bedroom window overlooked the hall

Passed it loads of times but must be 40 years ago!! When I worked at TCH London Road. :huh:

As I remember it around that time it was an engineering firm

Passed it loads of times but must be 40 years ago!! When I worked at TCH London Road. :huh:

Syl,

at the time you worked at TCH (T C Harrison) do yo recall if it had a barbers salon on the premises?

Syl,

at the time you worked at TCH (T C Harrison) do yo recall if it had a barbers salon on the premises?

No it didn't have a barbers salon when I worked there but after I left my sister in laws boyfriend used to go round firms cutting hair could it be something like this you were thinking of? It is possible that he went there because she also worked there then.

No it didn't have a barbers salon when I worked there but after I left my sister in laws boyfriend used to go round firms cutting hair could it be something like this you were thinking of? It is possible that he went there because she also worked there then.

I'm intrigued, why would a car dealer have a barbers shop on site <_<

I'm intrigued, why would a car dealer have a barbers shop on site <_<

Probably working on the theory that if it grew in the firms time you should have it cut in the firms time. he he . Or perhaps it was for the customers while they were waiting for car services etc.