Calvin72

Drainspotting!

I am not sure if i have said this before but a few months ago i started applying for listing status for drain covers and other pavement features. The initial application was turned down as features could not be proved as being 'in situ' as they are usually portable. I hope the efforts of all of us on here are going some way to proving provenance, as we are showing that streets almost always date back to the dates of the old drain covers. When i think over Sheffield Local Board, Sheffield Highways, Ecclesall Highways, old P.O features, National Telephone Company, Sheffield Light and Power Co., Sheffield Tramways etc i cannot believe that we have to prove history and provenance over and above the standard required for buildings and above ground features. I started out trying to research and map features for the purpose of education, but also protection. I believe we have done our part and i hope the authorities follow suit. I thank everyone for contributing to what i think has been a groundbreaking piece of research.

Certainly attracted a lot of posts Calvin

I doubt the authorities will follow suit. Amey don't seem to have any regard for anything historic and worth keeping. They just blitz everything. Some of the nice old residential streets they've done look like they've been attacked by gypsies, with anything cast iron ripped out and the granitte settes burried under black tarmac that looks like it was laid by a 5 year old.

Here's a Sheffield Corporation 1904

Midland Street

In the yard of a house on Rosedale Road

George Harvey & Co

Chapeltown

The above, it seems, is Charlton Ironworks.

Sydney Mail 29th June 1904

Thanks vox - there are plenty of ´Geo Harvey´ features in the City, sometimes whole streets kitted out with covers and drains. Interesting to know that he and Charlton Ironworks are one and the same.

Found these two on Paige Rd just off Duke St today. Dated 1906.

Off the top of my head i think the first missing dates after 1890 are 1909/10. It is from there on that dates become rarer - i guess the work was more or less complete on Sheffield's streets by then. The latest 'Sheffield Corporation' drain cover date is 1926. Of course if anyone can find a date prior to 1890...

Having posted the above, i was walking down Meadow Terrace in Sharrow Vale, a small back street, and found it is kitted out with Sheffield Corporation 1910 and 1911 drains and one 1929 dated cover. All of which means i now have every year from 1890 to 1914 and that 1929 is now the latest date found. Presumably soon afterwards the contractor's covers. such as Blake's Foundry. started to appear

Can anyone tell me anything about the following foundries please? At some point they all did castings for drain covers in the Sheffield area, which I'm trying do date. However these particular castings didn't have a date on them, so I'm hoping to get a rough idea from foundry opening and closing dates. The companies I'm looking for are:

M Allen & Co Ltd, Ironfounders, Sheffield.

The Beeley Foundry Ltd, Carbrook Street, Sheffield.

The Brightside Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd, Sheffield.

John Robinson, Royds Foundry Ltd, Ecclesfield.

Charlton Ironworks, Sheffield.

Calvin and I are preparing a book on the subject, so any information or even pictures would be much appreciated. Obviously you'll get a credit in the book for your help unless you specifically don't want one.

Outside Hughes and Briddock, Burton St

Harveys Nonslip Inspection Cover Registered

WJ Patchett

Contractor

Sheffield

SH Link to WJ Patchett

A variation of the one in post 74

Brightside Foundry

During the period 1862-1926, Buckley & Taylor made over 200 engines, with a total capacity of 160,000 ihp or more. Many of these were built for local cotton mills, and the majority were relatively large engines, characteristic of the cotton spinning industry. The success of the firm owed much to the dynamism of its two founders, particularly Samuel Buckley who continued as head of the business after the death of James Taylor in 1892 until he died in 1911, after which William Taylor, James' son, took control.

In 1902 the firm changed its status to that of a private limited company. It continued under family control, with both Buckley's and Taylors involved, until 1947 when it was taken over by the Brightside Foundry and Engineering Co. Ltd., General Engineers Sheffield.

Source

==========================

The Companies Acts 1862 to 1898.
Special Resolutions (pursuant to Companies Act
1862, sec. 51) of the Brightside Foundry
Company Limited
. Passed the 27th day of
September, 1899. Confirmed the 13th day of
October, 1899.

" That it is expedient to effect an amalga-
mation of the business of this Company with
those of J. C. and J. S. Ellis Limited, and the
firm of Walker, Eaton and Co., Sheffield, and
that with a view thereto this Company be wound
up-voluntarily, and that John William Best, of
20, Bank-street, Sheffield, Chartered Accountant,
be, and he is hereby appointed Liquidator for the
purpose of such winding up.

Source

Beeley Foundry Picture Sheffield

==========================

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 28 DECEMBER, 1948

BEELEY FOUNDRY CO. Limited.
The Companies Act, 1948.
(Members' Voluntary Winding-up.)
AT an Extraordinary General Meeting of the
Members of the above named Company duly con-
vened and held at 25, Figtree Lane, Sheffield, in the
county of Yorks, on the 21st day of December 1948,
the following Special Resolution was duly passed: —
" That the Company be wound up" voluntarily and
that Harold Henry Whittles of 25, Figtree Lane,
Sheffield, in the county of Yorks, Incorporated
Accountant, be and he is hereby appointed Liquidator
for the purpose of the winding-up."
(014)
W. F. GRACIE, Chairman

Source

Thanks for all the info Vox. There is one type of drain cover that had all of those foundry names on except for Charlton Ironworks, which are commonly fojnd across the city on a different type. So my guess is this standard type followed on from those marked with the corporation name and date. So it looks like the earliest of these named covers probably date from the late 1920s or early 1930s, following on from the last dated corporation type.

On Machon Bank, and on Walton Road off Ecclesall Road, there are a small number of these undated Corporation covers. I suspect they date from the late 1880's just before dates started being added.

On Machon Bank, and on a couple of streets just off Ecclesall Road, there are a small number of these undated Corporation covers. I suspect they date from the late 1880's just before dates started being added.

Well that's stuffed some of my theories! I have no idea how they fit into the time line.

The smaller rectangular covers show clear evolution from the Local Board castings onwards, but that evolution is not present in these. This type is very rounded,while early examples typically had crisper, square edges to the casting and slots with square ends.

Something that does support it being old is the fact it's an awful casting. It's really thick with narrow slots to make the metal flow easily around the mould. Compare to the 1890-92 vertical slat type which must have been a pig to make with very narrow cast bars.

A deep interest in grates and gullies isn't a new thing. The City was entertained by the "celebrated choked grates question" in 1883, which led to Alderman Harvey suggesting that Mr Bramley be known as the "Voluntary Inspector of Grates" despite Mr Bramley's limited understanding of how they worked.

Edmund strikes again. lol

Calvin, I just found this which was originally posted by Edmund in another topic.

It gives you a definite 1860s date for part of Nether Edge, so might be worth having a walk around there to see what you can find.

Wadbrough Road, off Ecclesall Road, has several 'Sheffield Corporation' 1894 covers. Only one of these had previously been discovered, on Paradise Street.

Wadbrough Road, off Ecclesall Road, has several 'Sheffield Corporation' 1894 covers. Only one of these had previously been discovered, on Paradise Street.

Just as confirmation: Advert in the Evening Telegraph "Wanted - Workmen" section 10 Sept 1895 :

To Let, Plastering four houses at Wadbrough Road ; labour only ; good price given. Apply on job.

That's a new one with me!

Anyone else know anything about the 'Sheffield Telephone Exchange and Electric Light Company' ?

I visited tozzin's feature this morning - it is on Westbourne Road (not Melbourne Avenue unless there is one there too?), opposite no.36. Within an hour i had found another, in slightly worse condition, on Crookes Road, not far from the junction with Crookesmoor Road. As the company only lasted less than two years these are rare discoveries indeed.

I came across a drain cover on Durham Rd, its one of the clearest I've seen to say its dated 1897, the other one although not a drain cover harks back to the days of the term "Electric Light" this is on the pavement on Melbourne Avenue.

This is what i refer to above!