Calvin72

Drainspotting!

attachicon.gifireson.jpg

Ireson Edward (& Sons), builders & contractor, 57 & 59 Weston Street.

1901,1905,1911 & 1925.

:( I spent ages looking for a builder called "Eireson" :rolleyes:

:( I spent ages looking for a builder called "Eireson" :rolleyes:

I thought this was the awkward one

I didn't get anywhere with that one either.

I read it as INMAN & HATHURST - is that what you see ?

I didn't get anywhere with that one either.

I read it as INMAN & HATHURST - is that what you see ?

Could be INMAN & H ASHURST?

Unfortunately i am only able to take smaller pics with my mobile at the moment - not sure why, maybe i have too many pics on there. I do keep clearing out the files. It doesn't help to identify small writing although i see it as Inman and Hathurst. I suppose it could be H Athurst.

Holland Thos. builders' merchant, 78 Melbourne Road, 1901.
Holland Thos. fire brick &c. factor, 23 Broomhall Street, 1905.
Holland Thos. builders' merchant, 23 Broomhall Steet & 249 Western Road, , 1911.
Holland Thos. builders' merchant, 21 Broomhall Steet, 1925.

Unfortunately i am only able to take smaller pics with my mobile at the moment - not sure why, maybe i have too many pics on there. I do keep clearing out the files. It doesn't help to identify small writing although i see it is as Inman and Hathurst. I suppose it could be H Athurst.

Nathan Inman and John Hayhurst trading as

Inman & Hayhurst Limited, (, Ironmongers, Plumbers & Gasfitters).

Address: 39-41 Exchange Street, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

In business at least as early as 1888 and wound up in 1904.

Corner of Lydgate Lane and Manchester Road, Crosspool

Sheffield Corporation 1933

attachicon.gifSheffield Corporation 1933.jpg

There's an identical cover to this one with the same date located on the footpath outside Allen Sike Farm on Redmires Road.

I don't know why but this farm, which has gone by this name (from the nearby spring), for many years, has now been renamed Hallam Sike Farm.

HD

I have always looked for dates rather than names but seeing as others are doing the work ...

I was in Nottingham yesterday and i am glad to report that a few cursory glances at the ground revealed several 'Charlton Ironworks' features.

Can't make this one out ( ...urton ) ?

It is in S9.

Found a completely new 1890's design today in Crookes. Nothing like i have seen anywhere else anyway.

Sheffield Corporation 1892 ?

Just a thought calvin - I think you should add more precise locations to all your photos, rather than just a general area. :)

Just a thought calvin - I think you should add more precise locations to all your photos, rather than just a general area. :)

I started out by trying to prevent their 'disappearance' to be honest vox - not sure what to think now - if people are interested i will identify locations.

I started out by trying to prevent their 'disappearance' to be honest vox - not sure what to think now - if people are interested i will identify locations.

My opinion is:

Eventually most of these seemingly insignificant things like street furniture, cobbles, bits of stone wall, you name it, will disappear without trace, It would be a shame to let them go without even recording their existence.

I think that any information on the history of anything in our city may just be of interest to someone in the future, even if it doesn't seem particularly earth shattering at the moment.

As you said, you started out with a particular intent, but that has lead others to delve a little deeper into other questions which have arisen, like manufacturers for instance.

Hopefully everything on this site will be around for posterity.

If you have the time and the inclination, stick it on here. Doesn't cost anything does it ?

Keep up the good work, I don't think anyone on here will criticise you for your efforts.

I know a book on the subject has been mentioned already. However the more I think aboiut it, the more I think it's a good idea. The problem with websites is eventually (for whatever reason) they often disappear. If all the information was collated into a book and numerous copies sold, then the data is protected by virtue of being physically held by anyone who has the book.

What do you think Calvin? Time to get your writing head on?

Found a completely new 1890's design today in Crookes. Nothing like i have seen anywhere else anyway.

Sheffield Corporation 1892 ?

Where and what is that?

Edited by SteveHB

Where and what is that?

Vertical slats rather than horizontal as in the photo. Looks like 1890 something dated at the bottom.

Out and about in Crookes again today and found two completely new designs!

Sheffield Highways - c.1830-1850 (based on other designs). Located on Spring Hill, Crookesmoor.

And Sheffield D of N (?) 1902 - any ideas about what this could be? Dept of ...?

And Sheffield D of N (?) 1902 - any ideas about what this could be? Dept of ...?

Duke of Norfolk?