Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

The GOOD NEWS :) is the Dagnam Road sign is back, firmly attached to its supports outside Frithy's old house

I presume Frithys house is the one on the right?. I know the Taylor family live(d) in the house on the left as i went to school with Leigh Taylor

I presume Frithys house is the one on the right?. I know the Taylor family live(d) in the house on the left as i went to school with Leigh Taylor

Frithy's house was the one on the right, 1 Dagnam Road.

As the house is a corner semi detached block the other house on the left actually carries a Craddock Road address rather than Dagnam Road.

In my school days the other house was occupied by a family called Kent. They had a daughter called Jean Kent who was either in my school year or possibly a year or so younger.

Guest wayneybabes

Frithy's house was the one on the right, 1 Dagnam Road.

As the house is a corner semi detached block the other house on the left actually carries a Craddock Road address rather than Dagnam Road.

In my school days the other house was occupied by a family called Kent. They had a daughter called Jean Kent who was either in my school year or possibly a year or so younger.

i apologise Dave, i thought the houses where the ones across the road on the other corner

i apologise Dave, i thought the houses where the ones across the road on the other corner

No, I don't know who lived in those, - I think one had an elderly couple with no kids at home.

Just up Craddock Road from the Dagnam junction, almost opposite the school entrance between the bike sheds and the nursery is where a disabled girl called Elaine who was deaf and dumb used to live. I have mentioned her before in this topic as she attended the disabled corridor school in the Juniors building.

Guest sheffield-lad

Some nice links there wayneybabes,

2 shots of what appears to be the building of the supertram network along Spring Lane and City Road

2 shots which predate Supertram,

One of them shows the Travellers Rest on City Road when it was actually still a boozer, even if it was full of grumpy old men

Other shows the road junction and has the block of 2 houses on the corner (the green house and its semi detached neighbour) which were demolished to allow the Supertram to take the corner.

Supertram can't do sharp bends apparently

Hello, they demolished 4 houses on the corner of city rd/park grange rd, i lived in the 4th one up with my parents. I was born there in 1968 before leaving home in 1991, the house was then demolished in aug 1992 under a compulsary puchase order. My mum and dad didnt want to move, they had been there since the early 60s.

Hello, they demolished 4 houses on the corner of city rd/park grange rd, i lived in the 4th one up with my parents. I was born there in 1968 before leaving home in 1991, the house was then demolished in aug 1992 under a compulsary puchase order. My mum and dad didnt want to move, they had been there since the early 60s.

Welcome to Sheffield History sheffield-lad and thank you for posting this interesting information about the house demolition for the Supertram and the date it was carried out.

If you lived there you must be a Norfolk School old boy as well,

If so that makes about 15 of us on Sheffield History now.

the BAD NEWS :( is that the gate support is still in a terrible state.

Since making this post it seems that the gate supports were in such a dangerous state that the Council workmen have demolished them for safety reasons.

Looks a lot better and a lot safer now.

But that gap in the fence is now an open invitation for trouble, trespass and more criminal damage on the site.

It also seems that now they have got the idea, other similar gate supports around the site have suffered a similar type of damage, but not to the same extent.

Since making this post it seems that the gate supports were in such a dangerous state that the Council workmen have demolished them for safety reasons.

Looks a lot better and a lot safer now.

But that gap in the fence is now an open invitation for trouble, trespass and more criminal damage on the site.

It also seems that now they have got the idea, other similar gate supports around the site have suffered a similar type of damage, but not to the same extent.

Is it usual after a demolition to leave all the bricks in a heap then?

Is it usual after a demolition to leave all the bricks in a heap then?

No, but it's a safe pile of bricks which is technically on private land behind the fence and not likelt to fall or injure anyone on Cradock Road.

Then again, you can still help yourself to a handy souvenier of the old school if you want one

Fancy a brick which was once part of your old school?

No, but it's a safe pile of bricks which is technically on private land behind the fence and not likelt to fall or injure anyone on Cradock Road.

Then again, you can still help yourself to a handy souvenier of the old school if you want one

Fancy a brick which was once part of your old school?

A "safe" pile of bricks - interesting <_<

If you are taking orders - then I will have a brick please. You may have to go round with a wheelbarrow and collect a few.

A "safe" pile of bricks - interesting <_<

If you are taking orders - then I will have a brick please. You may have to go round with a wheelbarrow and collect a few.

Unfortunately there are not that many bricks, otherwise we could use them to rebuild the school!! ;-)

Unfortunately there are not that many bricks, otherwise we could use them to rebuild the school!! ;-)

Brilliant idea : I am sure if the ex-pupils of Norfolk all got together and we started now, the rebuild could be complete by 2027! Still cant believe there is not a plaque anywhere saying it used to be there though.

Brilliant idea : I am sure if the ex-pupils of Norfolk all got together and we started now, the rebuild could be complete by 2027! Still cant believe there is not a plaque anywhere saying it used to be there though.

I'll be in my 70's by then, if I live that long.

A bit too old to be going back to school by then, even as a teacher.

I am considering retiring, but, old teachers don't retire, - they just lose their class lol

You mean like this one on Brimmesfield Road Suzy, -

:rolleyes:lolB) ;-)

Well, it looks a lot better than the original picture that I took

Then of course there is always this sign down at the Spring Lane entrance in honour of those who went there.

he he

Well, - I make that 19 Sheffield History members who are ex-students of the old school ;-)

More members than any other school on the Forum :P

Guest wayneybabes

Then of course there is always this sign down at the Spring Lane entrance in honour of those who went there.

Very good Dave lol

he he

Well, - I make that 19 Sheffield History members who are ex-students of the old school ;-)

More members than any other school on the Forum :P

Dave you are a star : those last posts of yours have really made me laugh. I have been ill from just before Xmas with Bronchitis, on all sorts of prescribed medication and only just getting back on my feet again and your posts really cheered me up. Thanks for putting in the effort : your signs should certainly replace the ones in situ!

Its good to know that 19 members are ex-students of Norfolk. lol

Dave you are a star : those last posts of yours have really made me laugh. I have been ill from just before Xmas with Bronchitis, on all sorts of prescribed medication and only just getting back on my feet again and your posts really cheered me up. Thanks for putting in the effort : your signs should certainly replace the ones in situ!

Its good to know that 19 members are ex-students of Norfolk. lol

Hope you are soon better suzy and I am glad you liked my last 2 posts.

I find it sad that a part of our lives is rapidly disappearing as the old school gradually passes away into history and becomes forgotten.

I would love to have a real, permenant sign on the site as a "memorial" to the school and all those, staff, students, cooks, cleaners etc that ever went there.

I suppose my bit of photo editing is the nearest we are likely to get.

Very good Dave lol

Glad you like it wayneybabes.

I could go down with a tape measure and measure the size of the actual "official" signs

We could then make a full size version on paper of my version of the wording on the signs.

Then we could go down pretending to be Council workmen and do a bit of fly posting over the original signs.

That should do it! ;-)

Guest wayneybabes

an older one of my class (i am on there somewhere) from the first school

before you ask Dave, the teacher isn't Woody Allen, its Mrs Whitworth lol

an older one of my class (i am on there somewhere) from the first school

before you ask Dave, the teacher isn't Woody Allen, its Mrs Whitworth lol

If that WAS Wooody Allen teaching them, would the lesson have been about

EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX BUT WERE AFFRAID TO ASK

Guest wayneybabes

Sports Day? Which year?

she cant remember but she does agree with me in that she cant remember doing sports day in the seniors either

so, see-ing as she is a year older than me then the very latest date of that picture would be 1985