Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

she cant remember but she does agree with me in that she cant remember doing sports day in the seniors either

so, see-ing as she is a year older than me then the very latest date of that picture would be 1985

.........and hopefully, she will be posting quite soon as she has just registered on here ;-)

.........and hopefully, she will be posting quite soon as she has just registered on here ;-)

I will look forward to welcoming another ex Norfolk student (the 20th according to my latest count) onto the sit then.

Glad you like it wayneybabes.

I could go down with a tape measure and measure the size of the actual "official" signs

We could then make a full size version on paper of my version of the wording on the signs.

Then we could go down pretending to be Council workmen and do a bit of fly posting over the original signs.

That should do it! ;-)

Sounds good to me and I agree with your earlier post : there should be an official plaque recognising all those over the years who attended. :)

Sounds good to me and I agree with your earlier post : there should be an official plaque recognising all those over the years who attended. :)

With an average school roll of about 1200 (including nursery, infant, junior and secondary) and perhaps 50 or so teaching staff and goodness knows how many ancillary staff in a school which lasted for about 60 years that could be a hell of a lot of people that have passed through those gates over the years.

It would be impractical, and probably not possible without a complete set of school records, to record them all.

But surely a simple dedication to "all those who attended this establishment" would not be out of the question.

A bit like certain war memorials, where it is no longer possible to name all who died or the list would be to long where it just has a simple but very meaningful dedication like "for those who gave" or "to our glorius dead"

With an average school roll of about 1200 (including nursery, infant, junior and secondary) and perhaps 50 or so teaching staff and goodness knows how many ancillary staff in a school which lasted for about 60 years that could be a hell of a lot of people that have passed through those gates over the years.

It would be impractical, and probably not possible without a complete set of school records, to record them all.

But surely a simple dedication to "all those who attended this establishment" would not be out of the question.

A bit like certain war memorials, where it is no longer possible to name all who died or the list would be to long where it just has a simple but very meaningful dedication like "for those who gave" or "to our glorius dead"

Yes, totally agree - far too many have passed through to be individually named, however, a simple dedication plaque as you suggest would at least confirm the fact that the school was there. Is there anything that could be offically done to move the suggestion forward?

Is there anything that could be offically done to move the suggestion forward?

Didn't think you liked doing things officially suzy,

You usually want wayneybabes, me, stuart, somebody local to go somewhere, pretend to be somebody we are not and sneak in with a camera to get pictures and video for posting on here.

That's why I suggested making up my photoshop mock-up signs to life size and then going and doing a bit of fly posting.

But officially I don't think the Council would want to spend money on a memorial to a school that they wrote off their books over a decade ago and which was, to them, a "poor" school as it did not have the record of a high level of academic achievement that some of it's more prestigious schools had.

Didn't think you liked doing things officially suzy,

You usually want wayneybabes, me, stuart, somebody local to go somewhere, pretend to be somebody we are not and sneak in with a camera to get pictures and video for posting on here.

That's why I suggested making up my photoshop mock-up signs to life size and then going and doing a bit of fly posting.

But officially I don't think the Council would want to spend money on a memorial to a school that they wrote off their books over a decade ago and which was, to them, a "poor" school as it did not have the record of a high level of academic achievement that some of it's more prestigious schools had.

|

Sshhhhhh .......... don't tell everyone! Have to put you chaps to good use and stop you getting bored -_- : you know how much you all love the challenges I set you and look at some of the splendid results, with the pics and videos that have been posted.

As regards the high level of academic achievement - I don't think , as far as I am aware, we have turned out too bad!

As regards the high level of academic achievement - I don't think , as far as I am aware, we have turned out too bad!

Norfolk turned out some excellent students as we well know.

However as a secondary modern turned comprehensive school (a school that takes everyone, non-selective, no 11+ entrance requirement) and being classed as an "inner City school" and having "a coucil housing estate catchment area" (a comment on the social class of it's student population) it's overall academic achievement level would never have been considered to be high.

If it was still open today and subjected to an OFSTED inspection I don't think it would end up top of ant league tables of school performance.

Guest wayneybabes

Dave

just looking back through some pics. The one in your post #47 of Peasholme Park, if you look behind the guy on my photo below you will see Man Cookes car with a canoe on the roof!!

Man Cooke told us that he actually won that car in a competition

Dave

just looking back through some pics. The one in your post #47 of Peasholme Park, if you look behind the guy on my photo below you will see Man Cookes car with a canoe on the roof!!

Man Cooke told us that he actually won that car in a competition

That looks like the old nursery school on Cradock Road behind him, - in colour as well

Another nice picture of the old, now gone, part of the school.

Not so sure about Man Cooke's car though, - I can't even remember what he had.

So who is the guy? Must be an old student.

a couple more thanks to Phil Carson on Facebook

Photo shows annexe have already gone and the glass tower is a burnt out wreck.

Sort of narrows it down to 2004-5 ish.

He is a facebook friend and was in the year above me

Perhaps you should have a word with him, get him to join Sheffield History and start posting on here.

Looks like he could have some useful contributions to make to this topic.

Guest wayneybabes

Perhaps you should have a word with him, get him to join Sheffield History and start posting on here.

Looks like he could have some useful contributions to make to this topic.

i have tried with quite a few though they dont seem to bother. I will keep persisting though

i have tried with quite a few though they dont seem to bother. I will keep persisting though

My photos of the school staff taken in 1972, posted in earlier posts in this topic were originally posted by me in 2004 on Friends Reunited in the Norfolk School section and they are still available on there.

I occasionally get messages saying someone has left a comment on these pictures as they attract a bit of interest from old students who can remember them.

Problem is, on Friends Reunited you can't use personal email addresses and site links to other sites, otherwise I would have long since redirected anyone showing any interest in my Friends Reunited offerings over to Sheffield History where of course I have posted much more.

Guest wayneybabes

another one found on facebook

the kids where in my sisters year and my sister was born in 1967 but i dont know how old they where on the photo, only that they where in the first school at the time

another one found on facebook

the kids where in my sisters year and my sister was born in 1967 but i dont know how old they where on the photo, only that they where in the first school at the time

The picture seems to have been taken outside the top classroom nearest the top yard (nursery school yard) of the infant (first) school. If so the kids are facing out towards Craddock Road near its junction with Dagnam Road, - just slightly below.

As Infant school kids are aged 5 to 8 and your sister was born in 1967 that would date the picture to 1972-6

I take it that your sister isn't on the picture, although it sounds like Craig Unwin could be a relative.

...and why does the name Sarah Goodison sound so familiar?

is she is an ex student that does a lot of Norfolk school stuff on Friends Reunited?

Guest wayneybabes

The picture seems to have been taken outside the top classroom nearest the top yard (nursery school yard) of the infant (first) school. If so the kids are facing out towards Craddock Road near its junction with Dagnam Road, - just slightly below.

As Infant school kids are aged 5 to 8 and your sister was born in 1967 that would date the picture to 1972-6

I take it that your sister isn't on the picture, although it sounds like Craig Unwin could be a relative.

...and why does the name Sarah Goodison sound so familiar?

is she is an ex student that does a lot of Norfolk school stuff on Friends Reunited?

No, my sister isnt on that photo but she knows a few on there, including Sarah Goodison.

Craig Unwin is not a relative though

No, my sister isnt on that photo but she knows a few on there, including Sarah Goodison.

Craig Unwin is not a relative though

Unfortunate that the picture lacks a teacher with the kids.

That often gives a big clue to the year and identity of the form.

Guest wayneybabes

recognition at last!!!!!!!!!

just been made admin of the Norfolk Comp group page on facebook :rolleyes:

i have my acceptance speech ready, just hope they dont cut my speech off like the brit awards did the other night with Adele!!

recognition at last!!!!!!!!!

just been made admin of the Norfolk Comp group page on facebook :rolleyes:

i have my acceptance speech ready, just hope they dont cut my speech off like the brit awards di the other night with Adele!!

I'm not on Facebook and don't have any intention of signing up with it at present (security reasons to do with work) so you will have to report the goings on in the site you now have responsibility for on here.

You could also poinr some of the facebbok regular contributors to the Norfolk School group page in the direction of Sheffield History and this particular topic.

Since 2010 it has been possible to sign in to Sheffield History directly from Facebook so it may be worth pointing that out as well.

Guest wayneybabes

a few more pics from facebook, many thanks to Carla Ekland for giving me permission to share them

Miss (sorry Dave, cannot get used to calling them 'Lass') Moore is on a few

apparently, this was a cruise in 1979/80. I do not know any of the pupils on these photos

and one from school. again, i do not know who these pupils are

a few more pics from facebook, many thanks to Carla Ekland for giving me permission to share them

Miss (sorry Dave, cannot get used to calling them 'Lass') Moore is on a few

apparently, this was a cruise in 1979/80. I do not know any of the pupils on these photos

and one from school. again, i do not know who these pupils are

If the girls in the cruise pictures are from 1979/80 I wonder if any of the same girls are in this 1978 picture which is taken from another of Eric Smith's 8mm film productions at the school which was about a 1978 Easter bonnet parade.

Eric Smith - Norfolk School Re - Union Nov: 2008

Inc a short film made by some of its pupils, c. 1970

YouTube (9:52)

The Eric Smith film "dead easy" in truncated form, punctuated with interviews with Eric about its making is still available on YouTube.

I have also now mastered capturing individual frames from the film (OK so 8mm frames are pretty small, smaller than a Minox negative and so the picture quality isn't that good) and there are some scenes in it which make great nostalgic pictures.