Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

I have just posted this picture, showing mindless vandalism to the old school gate support on Craddock Road opposite the junction with Dagnam Road. The gates used to access the old nursery school and upper infant school yard.

I can't stand this sort of vandalism and the remaining brick structure now looks so dangerous and unsafe that it will probably have to be pulled down anyway to avoid anyone being injured by it if it fell onto the pavement.

At the side of the debris I found a metal plate lying face down, intregued I turned it over and on the other side it said

DAGNAM ROAD

Looking behind me to where Dagnam Road is I noticed that the sign outside Frithy's old house (Stuart0742 and SteveHB will know who, and where, I mean) was missing but the 2 post that supported it were still in place.

I took it back to where it rightly belongs but the mounting brackets that fasten it to the posts were broken and missing so I could bot refit it.

I left it propped up against the posts.

Down our street we have a "NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH" sign which the local residents, including me, put together and paid for in about 1990 or 1991. It was not cheap, in fact road signs are quite expensive.

So what sort of mindless yob is going to smash a street sign off of its mountings and throw it across the other side of the road, and then partially demolish a brick wall?

Why? :huh:

That gets me SO MAD :angry: Why indeed? They were probably stupid enough to think it was made of copper and could sell it on - realised it wasnt and then just threw it across the road. Whatever the reason, its unforgiveable.

That gets me SO MAD :angry: Why indeed? They were probably stupid enough to think it was made of copper and could sell it on - realised it wasnt and then just threw it across the road. Whatever the reason, its unforgiveable.

Quite right.

I have left the sign in its correct place but it needs fixing back with proper brackets and fastenings as it is now loose, - and the vandals will only take the opportunity to remove it and abuse it again if it can be moved.

Quite right.

I have left the sign in its correct place but it needs fixing back with proper brackets and fastenings as it is now loose, - and the vandals will only take the opportunity to remove it and abuse it again if it can be moved.

A week later and there is no further vandalism to the gate support, although it is still in a very dangerous state.

However, the road sign is not in the correct place where I left it and is nowhere to be found.

I suspect it has been stolen, or "taken" by unscrupulous scrap men who will lift any piece of metal if it isn't fastened down.

Is it worth it for a kilogram and a half of aluminium? ^_^

Down our way any metal item left out on the front of your house disappears within an hour or two.

A month or two ago the hinges broke on our drive gates, the gates are wrought iron. We sent for someone to come and fix it but my wife had to guard the loose gate until someone arrived to stop it being nicked. In the hour it took for someone to come and fix it 2 "scrapmen" had shown an interest in it. <_<

Guest fairdinkum

Is the track at the side of the Traveller's still there (i don't live in the area so haven't seen it for years)? It ran from City Road to Manor Park Crescent and I used it to walk to and from school almost every day. It was a bit creepy in the dark, cemetery on the left, waste ground on the right. I never had any trouble on it, except for once getting stopped by the police after dark in 1978 looking for scallys. And has the waste ground been developed?

Is the track at the side of the Traveller's still there (i don't live in the area so haven't seen it for years)? It ran from City Road to Manor Park Crescent and I used it to walk to and from school almost every day. It was a bit creepy in the dark, cemetery on the left, waste ground on the right. I never had any trouble on it, except for once getting stopped by the police after dark in 1978 looking for scallys. And has the waste ground been developed?

The answer is yes and no.

Yes, you can still go down a path at the side of The Travellers (no longer a pub, now a supermarket) and cut across down the side of the cemetry and a few allotments then either up on to the Manor estate or straight on towards Manor Lane and the Manor Park centre.

But No, it isn't like it used to be, the area has been developed and opened up into a park like area called "Manor Fields" which is quite attractive and looks a lot better.

When we were kids this area was called "Deep Pits" and was an old mine working area as that name implies.

However, I have my own theory.

As City Road cemetry is now almost full as far as interments are concerned, and is more or less open at the back except for a single railing fence, I think that eventually the cemetry will be enlarged onto this space.

The answer is yes and no.

Yes, you can still go down a path at the side of The Travellers (no longer a pub, now a supermarket) and cut across down the side of the cemetry and a few allotments then either up on to the Manor estate or straight on towards Manor Lane and the Manor Park centre.

But No, it isn't like it used to be, the area has been developed and opened up into a park like area called "Manor Fields" which is quite attractive and looks a lot better.

When we were kids this area was called "Deep Pits" and was an old mine working area as that name implies.

However, I have my own theory.

As City Road cemetry is now almost full as far as interments are concerned, and is more or less open at the back except for a single railing fence, I think that eventually the cemetry will be enlarged onto this space.

Panorama view of City Road cemetry taken from Manor in 2010, with Manor Park to the right

Guest fairdinkum

Thanks DaveH.

I remember the Deep Pits.

As kids we played on the grassy bits near Seaton Crescent, at the back of Manor lane junior school which backed onto some small offices and on the grassy hill opposite the Manor castle pub (where we 'developed' a small golf course) - the path was called the 'black path' and was a favourite for sledging during winter. And further down Manor lane there was a farm on the edge of Wybourn.Come to think of it there was a lot of undeveloped greenery in those days.

Guest wayneybabes

My names George Piddington I went to Norfolk between 1964 to 68 be good to hear from anyone who went in those years

Welcome to Sheffield History George, Another Norfolk Old Boy!

Please share any memories of the school or ask any questions you would like.

Guest wayneybabes

Welcome to Sheffield History George, Another Norfolk Old Boy!

Please share any memories of the school or ask any questions you would like.

BTW George, do you recognise anyone on DaveH's photo in

My names George Piddington I went to Norfolk between 1964 to 68 be good to hear from anyone who went in those years

Welcome to Sheffield History George.

Me and Stuart 0742 both started at Norfolk in 1967

SteveHB started in 1966

So our years at Norfolk overlap, but due to being in different years I cannot remember you.

If you read through the earlier sections of this topic where I have posted pictures of all the members of staff I could get on the day I left in 1972, many of whom had been teaching for many years, I am sure you will find most of them very familiar.

As wayneybabes says, we now have around 14 or so old Norfolk students on this forum spread out over many years of the school's history.

We would be very interested in any memories and stories you have of the school while you were there.

BTW George, do you recognise anyone on DaveH's photo in

That picture was taken in October 1968, and I think from George's post that he left in July of that year.

He is more likely to recognise people in this picture taken of the prefects in 1964

My cousin Kathleen Sneesby is on this picture.

I had 3 cousins that were at Norfolk at the dates you mention (1964 to 1968) but not in the same year.

You may know some of them.

As well as Kathleen there ws Frank Sneesby and Peter Burnand.

Guest davexl5

hi pidder dont remember you much at norfolk but then again i wagged it a lot, and you are a couple of years older than i am.do remember you on the flats though.knocked about together a few times amongst a gang of others, you may or may not remember me as myers, cheers.

Hi sorry dont remember who you are i remember people like gary slater keith turton gary bott all younger than me

Did Gary Bott have a sister called Debbie Bott?

A week later and there is no further vandalism to the gate support, although it is still in a very dangerous state.

However, the road sign is not in the correct place where I left it and is nowhere to be found.

I suspect it has been stolen, or "taken" by unscrupulous scrap men who will lift any piece of metal if it isn't fastened down.

Is it worth it for a kilogram and a half of aluminium? ^_^

The GOOD NEWS :) is the Dagnam Road sign is back, firmly attached to its supports outside Frithy's old house

the BAD NEWS :( is that the gate support is still in a terrible state.

hi he did have sister called debbie they lived on gilbert nesr the playground and they had a brother called tommy who went to school with my brother sadly tommy died several yrs ago age only around 56

hi he did have sister called debbie they lived on gilbert nesr the playground and they had a brother called tommy who went to school with my brother sadly tommy died several yrs ago age only around 56

I can remember Debbie, she was there when I was there but was several years below me. This was about 1971 - 73 time which would make her about 52 now.

I cannot recall either Gary or Tommy though. Depending on how long it is since Tommy died he may have been nearer my age.

Roughly what years wouls Gary and Tommy have been at Norfolk secondary school? Debbie would have been there approx 1971 to 1976.

I cannot recall either Gary or Tommy though. Depending on how long it is since Tommy died he may have been nearer my age.

I was in the same class as Gary Bott.

well tommy would have been same age as my brother 63 im 58 gary bott knows me and debbie does to she knew my sister and they had a cousin whos name i dont recall ,i lived on parkhill from 1959 to 76

I was in the same class as Gary Bott.

Thanks Steve, year above me, I can vaguely place who he is now.

So he was at the school the same time as me as well as his sister.

well tommy would have been same age as my brother 63 im 58 gary bott knows me and debbie does to she knew my sister and they had a cousin whos name i dont recall ,i lived on parkhill from 1959 to 76

Tommy would have been there in the 1960's before my time (although my cousins may have known him).

..and if you are 58 that's only a couple of years older than me Geo50 so we would have been at Norfolk at the same time as well. ;-)

i left in 1968 but i know people like dave wright and his sister linda and the jeffcocks who live on long henry

I would have been there while you were in your final year then, - I started in 1967