Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

I remember taking home two locusts out of a glass tank,

my dad was not very happy about them flying around in our living room.

Think I was given permission to go into the school to feed the locusts and also a bull frog during school holidays

Sounds like moggy matthews lab to me.

Me, Stuart and Frithy have all been there and done that.

Obviously we share common experiences from the same teacher at the same school.

Sounds like moggy matthews lab to me.

Me, Stuart and Frithy have all been there and done that.

Obviously we share common experiences from the same teacher at the same school.

Did Frithy have a distinctive facial mark, a large mole/birth mark near one of his eyes

?

Did Frithy have a distinctive facial mark, a large mole/birth mark near one of his eyes

?

Yes he did.

I bet you know who he is now don't you?

Guest fairdinkum

DaveH - thanks for the reminder. I did recognise the new parts in the pics but couldn't remember the exact layout. My brother went to Arbourthorne North juniors in the 50's. I once got dragged along the bridge in a headlock by man Humberstone after deciding not to do art O-level.

Guest wayneybabes

got caught nicking rivets from there to use as " pellets " in an elastic band catapult for use behind the Trav`s on a friday afternoon when we wagged it during the free lessons

sounds a bit like what we used to do, only we nicked paper clips to fire from elastic bands which was fun in the science rooms, firing at the clock on the wall but not recommended at the end of year dance in the school hall, got reyt done for that lol

sounds a bit like what we used to do, only we nicked paper clips to fire from elastic bands which was fun in the science rooms, firing at the clock on the wall but not recommended at the end of year dance in the school hall, got reyt done for that lol

Are you saying that you were one of the "bad lads" wayneybabes?

Does auntie Sue know you were a naughty boy at school?

Guest wayneybabes

Apart from that, i was a little angel!. Never got into any bother (apart from stealing the toilet keys for one of the 'older' lads during lessons. got caught cos my name was the last on the list for signing for them! derrrrrrrrr).

Was told by my Auntie Sue's brother that Man Gillott (woodwork teacher if i remember correctly) was spotted by some pupils at a United match once and the pupils threw him down the steps :o . Now that IS naughty lol

Guest wayneybabes

I heard the same story about Man Gillott from someone who was in the crowd - his face was a mess.

some would say he looked better for it lol

Apart from that, i was a little angel!. Never got into any bother (apart from stealing the toilet keys for one of the 'older' lads during lessons. got caught cos my name was the last on the list for signing for them! derrrrrrrrr).

Was told by my Auntie Sue's brother that Man Gillott (woodwork teacher if i remember correctly) was spotted by some pupils at a United match once and the pupils threw him down the steps :o . Now that IS naughty lol

That's not naughty, it's just criminal hooliganism.

Can't condone that at all.

Even if he was the most disliked teacher in the school.

Guest wayneybabes

That's not naughty, it's just criminal hooliganism.

Can't condone that at all.

Even if he was the most disliked teacher in the school.

they where Unitedites after all :ph34r:

they where Unitedites after all :ph34r:

Suppose so, unless it was a local derby match.

Most kids at Norfolk were actually blades fans, due to the location in the south of the city being closer to Brammal Lane than Hillsborough.

But there were also a fair proportion of Owls fans as well.

Suppose it gave them an excuse for a good old punch up in the school yard at break.

Guest wayneybabes

Suppose so, unless it was a local derby match.

Most kids at Norfolk were actually blades fans, due to the location in the south of the city being closer to Brammal Lane than Hillsborough.

Thats what i thought when i was at Norfolk but since i joined facebook i am amazed at how many of my friends actually support The Owls.

You always used to get kids supporting the teams that where winning the league at the time, in our case it was Liverpool. After leaving school Liverpool turned bad and quite a few of these 'supporters' are now Unitedites, poor buggers!!

Thats what i thought when i was at Norfolk but since i joined facebook i am amazed at how many of my friends actually support The Owls.

You always used to get kids supporting the teams that where winning the league at the time, in our case it was Liverpool. After leaving school Liverpool turned bad and quite a few of these 'supporters' are now Unitedites, poor buggers!!

If you are in a rough school where the majority of kids support one team and you are in a minority supporting their local rivals I suppose you would tend to keep your mouth shut and not admit to which team you support so that you wouldn't get beaten up.

Guest wayneybabes

If you are in a rough school where the majority of kids support one team and you are in a minority supporting their local rivals I suppose you would tend to keep your mouth shut and not admit to which team you support so that you wouldn't get beaten up.

I was ok cos the hardest lad in our year was an owl lol

I was ok cos the hardest lad in our year was an owl lol

I once won 2 tickets to a Wednesday match at Hillsborough in 1965-66 off of Man O'Leary in the Junior School.

I can't remember what I did to win them as Man O'Leary was a right hard case and very keen to use the cane.

I can't even remember who the match was against, - but it was the 1965-66 season when Wednesday ended up in the FA cup final at Wembley (but then lost to Everton :( ) and the Wednesday team had players like Jim McCalliog and David Ford.

No she didnt, but I will be having words with my Nephew!! :o

Guest wayneybabes

No she didnt, but I will be having words with my Nephew!! :o

i wasnt bad really, just mischevous :rolleyes:

Looks like you've been busted wayneybabes! :o

i only see her a couple of times a year when she comes to work to see my dad

i'll make sure i am out ;-)

i wasnt bad really, just mischevous :rolleyes:

i only see her a couple of times a year when she comes to work to see my dad

i'll make sure i am out ;-)

Looks like a narrow escape then wayneybabes.

I noticed recently that a section of school fence has been removed at the bottom of Cradock Road just behind the derelict building that was Charlie Browns. There is a flattened grass footpath all the way across the old school field, past the back garden of your old childhood home and it ends at hole in a chicken wire piece of fencing (obviously made unofficially by someone :o :o ) which then exits on to Park Grange Road very close to the Park Grange Road / Spring Lane Supertram stop.

Could be a handy short cut from the bottom end of the Arbourthorne (Dagnam and Edenhall Roads) to the nearest Supertram stop.

Guest wayneybabes

Looks like a narrow escape then wayneybabes. I noticed recently that a section of school fence has been removed at the bottom of Cradock Road just behind the derelict building that was Charlie Browns. There is a flattened grass footpath all the way across the old school field, past the back garden of your old childhood home and it ends at hole in a chicken wire piece of fencing (obviously made unofficially by someone :o :o ) which then exits on to Park Grange Road very close to the Park Grange Road / Spring Lane Supertram stop. Could be a handy short cut from the bottom end of the Arbourthorne (Dagnam and Edenhall Roads) to the nearest Supertram stop.

that is the route i took when i did that video as i had to go to work afterwards :)

that is the route i took when i did that video as i had to go to work afterwards :)

So it is a handy short cut then.

I'm sure when we were at school there was a sign about "Trespassers will be prosecuted" but that seems to have gone these days, - along with most of the school! :(

I have just posted this picture, showing mindless vandalism to the old school gate support on Craddock Road opposite the junction with Dagnam Road. The gates used to access the old nursery school and upper infant school yard.

I can't stand this sort of vandalism and the remaining brick structure now looks so dangerous and unsafe that it will probably have to be pulled down anyway to avoid anyone being injured by it if it fell onto the pavement.

At the side of the debris I found a metal plate lying face down, intregued I turned it over and on the other side it said

DAGNAM ROAD

Looking behind me to where Dagnam Road is I noticed that the sign outside Frithy's old house (Stuart0742 and SteveHB will know who, and where, I mean) was missing but the 2 post that supported it were still in place.

I took it back to where it rightly belongs but the mounting brackets that fasten it to the posts were broken and missing so I could bot refit it.

I left it propped up against the posts.

Down our street we have a "NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH" sign which the local residents, including me, put together and paid for in about 1990 or 1991. It was not cheap, in fact road signs are quite expensive.

So what sort of mindless yob is going to smash a street sign off of its mountings and throw it across the other side of the road, and then partially demolish a brick wall?

Why? :huh: