Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

A three way view of the Wicker Arches

Pre 1954 (before electrification of the railway)

December 2008

Interesting little motor bike in the middle photo.

I think the bike is probably an ex army folding notorcycle from WW2. Will try and find the name. Trojan maybe?

Info on the Corgi (not Trojan) motorcycle.

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/c...ic-scooters.php

I think the bike is probably an ex army folding notorcycle from WW2. Will try and find the name. Trojan maybe?

Info on the Corgi (not Trojan) motorcycle.

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/c...ic-scooters.php

Looks like a Corgi to me Tsavo.

Nice link by the way, in 1950 you could have bought one of these for around £50 and driven it down the Wicker without the need for a crash helmet. The crash helmet law came in around the late sixties / early seventies (I get the date mixed up with that other law restricting learners to 250cc machines) so in this picture it is perfectly legal, but as an ex motorcyclist seeing someone ride without protection always makes me cringe.

Cant remember if i've already put these on here, disappearing valley Parkwood tip

Standing in the same spot 1950. To the back of you would be the gunpits, to the left of the picture the bowling green. In the fore ground would be Hitchen`s pig pens, Douglas Road, then the allotments. In the distance the power station chimney [one of a pair] would be still half built, and the buckets full of coal ash would be working their way across the Sheffield to Woodhead railway line to tip their spoil on the heaps further up the valley. The track you can see in the distance before it disapears round the bend is Parkwood Road North [you could drive from Neepsend Lane through to Herries Road then]. W.E.

Standing in the same spot 1950. To the back of you would be the gunpits, to the left of the picture the bowling green. In the fore ground would be Hitchen`s pig pens, Douglas Road, then the allotments. In the distance the power station chimney [one of a pair] would be still half built, and the buckets full of coal ash would be working their way across the Sheffield to Woodhead railway line to tip their spoil on the heaps further up the valley. The track you can see in the distance before it disapears round the bend is Parkwood Road North [you could drive from Neepsend Lane through to Herries Road then]. W.E.

I was told that the stretch of land between Hitchen's pig sty and Denby's sty was used in the depression to give employment,

it was apparently dug over and over, and the extension of Douglas Road to Parkwood Road North was started but not finished, just left in the hardcore stage.

To be a true Then & Now a modern snow scene is required, keep my fingers crossed we will get some decent snow, can't remember the last time though.

Abbey Ln looking towards Beauchief traffic lights, in the days of the trams they turned right to and from Abbeydale Rd Sth.

Also betwwen the time of the 2 photos there was a petrol station on the right where the buildings are just this side of the traffic lights.

Then dated 8th Jan 1959

Now December 2008

A then and now I have already posted in the "Norton Aerodrome" thread,

Here is Norton Aerodrome taken from Norton Avenue, THEN is Oct 1971, NOW is Jan 2009

Then & Now Abbeydales Rd

Looking towards Broadfield Traffic Lights, not sure of the date of the then yet, bus looks quite modern but the tram seems old (over to Bus Man and Transit)

Now taken today 4/1/09

High St/Angel St towards Commercial St

both same photo 1920's

Demonstrates how it was common practise at the time to colour b/w photos

----------------

But how were they coloured ?

No computers & image editing software back in those days

----------------

But how were they coloured ?

No computers & image editing software back in those days

I think the original b/w photo would have been hand coloured by an artist and then printed like any outher postcard.

Guest carlie167

Looking down the Moor

1960's and 2009

Good photos Stuart, its strange that even with all the traffic on the first pic, it looks a lot less cluttered than after pedestrianisation!!

Hey Stuart & Dave - Looks like you've set a trend!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/conten...gallery.shtml?1

Hey!! The BBC have nicked our idea!!

We should have taken out a copyright on the then & now presentation.

Looked at another way, the BBC then & now is dated 8 Jan 2009, our first then and now is dated 29 October 2008, so we beat them to it by over 2 months.

Guest metalmickuk

....great "then" pic to get 4 different major modes of transport in one pic at the same time - bus , tram , train , car ;-)

five if you include foot

Barkers Pool Garden (Does this garden have any other name)

Not sure of the date of the then

Now (or not as then as then was) is 1973 (discussed this photo in a previous topic)

Barkers Pool Garden (Does this garden have any other name)

Not sure of the date of the then

Now is 1973 (discussed this photo in a previous topic)

Now is 2009,

are you loosing your marbles Stuart0742 ? he he

Not in my mind, Now is 1973 and 17 yrs old :)

I'm an old burger now, takes all the time to remember what day it is!

just think in a couple of years you will have caught up with me.

;-)

Peter Wood Farm, Mayfield Valley

Flag pole facing Westerly

View facing Easterly

THEN, Fulwood Scouts on Camp Whit 1955, RAvis

NOW, January 2009, Mike142sl

London Road, Heeley Bottom

showing junction of Broadfield Road on the L/H side.

Could that be 'John Mace' of Mace's Pet shops on the corner?

Needs a date for the 'Then' photo,

'Now' is today .. but tomorrow it will be yesterday <_<