Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

Can't really offer any better than this :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s17824

Lovely picture it is.

About 1977-80 Wilf Van Heel was living in the second house up on the left hand side. I don't call whay year those houses were demolished.

Is this the link to Richard Fox's original picture on picturesheffield which SteveHB has had to remove?

The view does look very similar.

Is this the link to Richard Fox's original picture on picturesheffield which SteveHB has had to remove?

The view does look very similar.

It is, with added knowledge of a former resident.

Guest Richard_Fox

Another one, this time non-copyright infringing (Sorry about that!) :)

Hillsborough Inn on the right though, not the left... Need some Jimmy Cricket wellies to help me I think!!

Another one, this time non-copyright infringing (Sorry about that!) :)

Hillsborough Inn on the right though, not the left... Need some Jimmy Cricket wellies to help me I think!!

Hillsborough Corner,

I have a December 1974 original from my collection which I have not used to turn into a then & now. as I don't get up to Hillsborough much these days if anyone wants to add the THEN shot to this be my guest.

By the way Richard Fox, nice then and now picture, hope you are going to show us some more.

Hillsborough Corner,

I have a December 1974 original from my collection which I have not used to turn into a then & now. as I don't get up to Hillsborough much these days if anyone wants to add the THEN shot to this be my guest.

By the way Richard Fox, nice then and now picture, hope you are going to show us some more.

Thought I'd cheat and do an armchair Google photo as a now, you can't get the same viewpoint :(

Thought I'd cheat and do an armchair Google photo as a now, you can't get the same viewpoint :(

Another reason I didn't try to do a real then to match it.

I wasn't going to waste my time making my way to Hillsborough sort of already knowing that it would no longer be possible.

It was the controversy over that silly "tram gate" at Hillsborough corner and the driving convictions it created that were later dropped on a techicality which put me off trying.

Guest Richard_Fox

Thanks DaveH :)

Here's another inspired by the postcard posted by RichardB... A little off, but pretty much the same view point. Love how the curve of the road 109 years later is still pretty much the same, definitely prefer the 1900 view to the present day in this one.

Just found a photo on the skyscrapercity.com website of the view in January, the new tower completely spoils the view of the town hall :( Where's my time machine?

I wasn't going to waste my time making my way to Hillsborough sort of already knowing that it would no longer be possible.

It was the controversy over that silly "tram gate" at Hillsborough corner and the driving convictions it created that were later dropped on a techicality which put me off trying.

DaveH

I'll try and get you one monday morning. I drive through each day at 6.30am when there's no traffic around but if

it's raining I'm not getting out of the car. lol

Hope this one's suitable, it was just coming light 6.30 am. lol

1974 (DaveH)

2009 (ukelele lady)

Thanks Ukelele lady and SteveHB for putting that then & now together.

Like I said it was a picture from my collection of old ones which I had been reluctant to go and get a matching new one for so offered it up for others to try.

A good job you have made of it too.

Darnall.

Unsure of the date of the 'Then' image.

Google Street View is present day.

Star and Garter Winter St

Now is 24/04/09

River Sheaf at Duchess Road bridge.

'Then' is a paintig by Reuben Turner dated 1836

'Now' was taken today,

It's a pity the trees are in the way ..

but the top of the Cholera Monument is just visible.

Guest plain talker

Star and Garter Winter St

Now is 24/04/09

My "guess"timate:- lol

The buildings adjacent to the star and garter are still standing, which surely has to make it pre1956/7. (Which is when my father's family were "clearanced" from the area.)

I'm not sure when trams ceased running along that section of Winter Street, but again, it must have been in the early to mid fifties at the latest...

I am sure I can see a Morris Minor behind the tram, on the before, so, again that must date the picture to after the MM was introduced in 1948?)

Pinstone Street print from A.O.F Guide To Sheffield 1903

Pinstone Street April 2009

The Building does not seem to have changed much in 106 years.

Guest Jeremy

Britannia Works, Spring Street. The then is 18 August 2002, the now is 2008, courtesy of Google Street View.

A couple more photos of the area from Picture Sheffield:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=t00146

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=v02646

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s21231

Guest Jeremy

View up Corporation St towards West Bar. The then is 18 August 2002, the now is 2008, courtesy of Google Street View.

and it's got a date stone. Nineteen 0-something?

Cheers Vox I think it is 1904 - I think we did that in "Date Stones..."