Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

;-) ;-) huh! rubbish photos! *sulk* ;-) ;-) not a Mini in sight!

No, but transit reckons (see Castle House to close thread) that I've swapped my 3 minis for 3 mark3 Ford Cortinas! ;-)

Another then and now. The Carlton Cinema at the corner of Eastern Avenue and Errington Road

The first picture I ever posted on Sheffield History was the top one of the Carlton cinema when Tsavo was looking for a picture of this cinema of which at the time there were no known pictures. This THEN picture dates from 1971.

As my mum still lives in the same house on Eastern Avenue taking the NOW photo when I visited her recently was no real hastle. The Cinema was demolished in 1999 and these old peoples wardened flats took its place.

Hi DaveH my brother lives directly opposite the old cinema, kind of middle right of your photos, he was very sad when they demolished it.

Hi DaveH my brother lives directly opposite the old cinema, kind of middle right of your photos, he was very sad when they demolished it.

Funny I though that was where my parents lived, didn't realise I had another brother and a sister!!! lol

Welcome to SheffieldHistory Lady H (no relation)

In the cinemas section there is a whole thread on the Carlton Cinema for you to read and enjoy.

To live directly opposite the old cinema he must live at somewhere between 106 and 120 Eastern Avenue or at some address that I don't know the numbers of on Errington Road or in a flat near our member plain talker. Must have been a pretty close neighbour.

Funny I though that was where my parents lived, didn't realise I had another brother and a sister!!! lol

Welcome to SheffieldHistory Lady H (no relation)

In the cinemas section there is a whole thread on the Carlton Cinema for you to read and enjoy.

To live directly opposite the old cinema he must live at somewhere between 106 and 120 Eastern Avenue or at some address that I don't know the numbers of on Errington Road or in a flat near our member plain talker. Must have been a pretty close neighbour.

And theres me thinking Lady H was Mrs H lol

Another variation on the Then and Now, Day and Night

2 photos of the Midland Station taken within the last few days

I will have to start calling it Sheffield Station :)

Another variation on the Then and Now, Day and Night

2 photos of the Midland Station taken within the last few days

I will have to start calling it Sheffield Station :)

The other day we suggested over a pint that the "then and now" should actually be called "now and then"

Likewise "day and night" should be "night and day" (ask the song writer Cole Porter!)

How many more variations on this theme are we going to come up with?

The other day we suggested over a pint that the "then and now" should actually be called "now and then"

Likewise "day and night" should be "night and day" (ask the song writer Cole Porter!)

How many more variations on this theme are we going to come up with?

What came 1st day or night <_<

What came 1st day or night <_<

Well Stuart, for the latest development of the "then and now" theme read the Sheffield History Calendar thread posts #17 + 18

The Howard Hotel and Sheffield Poly/Sheffield Hallam University

Early seventies and last Thursday 11/12/08

Another variation for the Howard Hotel

B/W by DaveH

Colour today 15/12/08

B/W by DaveH

Colour today 15/12/08

I knew you would go out and get the matching picture Stuart, and what a contrast.

The Howard, which doesn't seem to have changed at all sets this up as exactly the same location, but look behind, what a difference!

In the modern picture we can see the building which www.skyscrapers.com refers to as "the turd tower" (see appropriate thread + link) but which we have refered to more politely as "the chocolate bar".

As the Irishman said "If that's the turd tower were are the other two?"

B/W by DaveH

Colour today 15/12/08

Interesting feature about this one is that Surrey Lane has gone from pedestrian to road rather than the other way.

Guest plain talker

Interesting feature about this one is that Surrey Lane has gone from pedestrian to road rather than the other way.

I also notice that the three ground floor windows on the pub, on the part nearest the Polytechnic are slightly altered. They weren't half-timbered in the old picture.

oh, and I'm sulking, again :- :P not a Mini to be seen in either the then or the now pic! :angry:;-)

(although the Hillman imp near the bottom of Surrey Lane is a fine example of small car design! hehe)

Sheffield Canal (SSYN) near Bernard Road,

the then picture, "Firth's Iron Wharf receiving a delivery of Swedish Iron"

'Thanks to our member Dunsbyowl'

Which Vauxhall dealers is it that has gone?

Is it the one in this (yet another 1974 picture of Saville Street, - where the hell do I keep getting them from!!) picture of Bentleys the Vauxhall - Bedford dealers near to the old Furnival steel works?

Or is it the one on Saville Street which was Charles Clark Vauxhall? I thought this one was still trading as part of the Pentagon Vauxhall group, like the other one on Ecclesall Road.

If the Vauxhall dealers are closing where am I going to take my Corsa for MOT servicing and repairs?

Yet more from the DaveH/Stuart0742 partnership

b/w DaveH 1974

colour stuart0742 19/12/08

Yet more from the DaveH/Stuart0742 partnership

b/w DaveH 1974

colour stuart0742 19/12/08

Looks like that car dealership is still there but has changed from Vauxhall to BMW :o

Looks like that car dealership is still there but has changed from Vauxhall to BMW :o

It is Winchester Motors, all sorts of luxury cars, nice Black Audi A8 came out whilst I was passing.

Guest transit

It is Winchester Motors, all sorts of luxury cars, nice Black Audi A8 came out whilst I was passing.

ah.. Winchester Cars ....apparently in recievership AGAIN !

So what is the Furnival Steel works now?

Obviously NOT making steel anymore

That writing on the wall in the modern picture looks like something for the "painted signs / ghostly writing" thread.

When we were at school the school used the "house system" for sports day and the like.

At Norfork Juniors (Arbouthorne North Juniour School in my day) the 4 houses were named after medieval local land owners

Lovetot, Furnival, Talbot and Shrewsbury

At Norfolk Secondary School the 6 houses were named after local steel works

Firth, Furnival, Osbourne, Balfour, Neill and Tyzack

As Furnival was common to both of these school house systems I am sure this was my main reason for taking this photo in the first place.

Strangely, I was never in Furnival

Shrewsbury at Junior school and Osbourne at Secondary

Both of these by coincidence had green as their "house colour", - but don't ask me what the others were.

So what is the Furnival Steel works now?

Obviously NOT making steel anymore

That writing on the wall in the modern picture looks like something for the "painted signs / ghostly writing" thread.

When we were at school the school used the "house system" for sports day and the like.

At Norfork Juniors (Arbouthorne North Juniour School in my day) the 4 houses were named after medieval local land owners

Lovetot, Furnival, Talbot and Shrewsbury

At Norfolk Secondary School the 6 houses were named after local steel works

Firth, Furnival, Osbourne, Balfour, Neill and Tyzack

As Furnival was common to both of these school house systems I am sure this was my main reason for taking this photo in the first place.

Strangely, I was never in Furnival

Shrewsbury at Junior school and Osbourne at Secondary

Both of these by coincidence had green as their "house colour", - but don't ask me what the others were.

It looks like it is now some sort of small engineering firm, as for the writing on the wall, it is the same writing just painted the same colour as the rest of the wall.

There are a couple of modern vents sticking through, but apart from this it looks original.

It looks like it is now some sort of small engineering firm, as for the writing on the wall, it is the same writing just painted the same colour as the rest of the wall.

There are a couple of modern vents sticking through, but apart from this it looks original.

On closer inspection, it looks like the 1974 sign is painted and the modern day one is in relief

On closer inspection, it looks like the 1974 sign is painted and the modern day one is in relief

Unless the 1974 one was already in relief and painted 2 colours, light on the relief and dark on the embossment, in which case all that has happened is that some moron has gone over the whole lot with the same coloured paint to give its present look.

{I say moron because my dad was a painter and did a lot of this sort of sign (see castle market then and now). I know he would not approve of this modern quick coat over the whole lot}

Unless the 1974 one was already in relief and painted 2 colours, light on the relief and dark on the embossment, in which case all that has happened is that some moron has gone over the whole lot with the same coloured paint to give its present look.

{I say moron because my dad was a painter and did a lot of this sort of sign (see castle market then and now). I know he would not approve of this modern quick coat over the whole lot}

On the modern photo the lettering is raised and painted the same colour as the wall, on your older photo it does not have that raised look, the lettering looks the same as the brick work.

Guest transit

Attrercliffe Rd looking towards Banners

The usual credits

b/w DaveH 1974

colour Stuart0742 19/12/08

...great stuff guys , thanks to you both -and others , who have made this topic so popular - much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!

Guest transit

...great stuff guys , thanks to you both -and others , who have made this topic so popular - much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!

....following on -please give your support - as i am sure you will- that this "NOW & THEN " topic should have its own subtitle in the main menu? :unsure: