Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

Not got a clue, part 2.

Second (recently purchased) postcard; here in the forlorn hope someone can help identify the location and then someone ...

Lane, junction, tree, bushes ...

from Sydney to Miss B Johnson, IOM, August 1907

Attempts at transcription gratefully received; should be easy.

[i may have posted letters to/from Miss Johnson ages ago on here (could they be on the "I got this"-thread ?); if so, I bought those in the late 70's, the postcards I bought last week].

10th Edition

I am going out with C----

tonight. I have been

packing for Brid: this

afternoon. I forgot to say

that I should like a curved

handle on the umbrella - but

just bring what suits you.

But you know what I have said.

Hope you are leaving good

weather & that it will keep so for

both of us next week. Love Sydney

==========

Edit: found this.

Just out of interest - Hutchinson Square, Douglas IOM

It was used as a detention camp during WW11

"Hutchinson Camp housed German and Austrian males and was located in Hutchinson Square, Douglas.

This postcard was for specific use from Hutchinson Camp and bears the only known handstamp of the camp."

Guest Noise Heat Power

It's one of the three statues of Vulcan that we have in the city centre, the other two being atop the Lyceum Dome, and atop the town hall tower.

;-) I know the above comment was made almost a year ago, but I just had to butt in here with a quick correction...

The bloke on top of the Lyceum is actually Mercury, the messenger of the gods - not Vulcan!

Anyway, having dispensed with the pedantry, can I just say that this thread is absolutely brilliant. I've been doing some bits of writing based in the city in the eighties and some of these pics are a priceless resource. Thanks so much to everyone who's taken the time to upload photos for us all to see.

Here are a couple of Then & Nows from myself and DaveH

Junction of Shrewsbury Rd and Granville Rd

Then 1974 Now Sep 2009

Junction of Granville St and Granville Rd

Then 1970 Now Oct 2009

Here are a couple of Then & Nows from myself and DaveH

Junction of Shrewsbury Rd and Granville Rd

Then 1974 Now Sep 2009

Junction of Granville St and Granville Rd

Then 1970 Now Oct 2009

Spot some differences

clues

Trees and red cycle paths

Spot some differences

clues

Yes DaveH's user name in monochrome.

and your's is in colour :)

Another one here,

Collegiate Crescent,

a Hundred years time lapse.

the 'now image' is from Google SV

Another one here,

Collegiate Crescent,

a Hundred years time lapse.

the 'now image' is from Google SV

Yet again Trees in abundance, but no cycle paths

Don't know how my name got there Steve, Stuart must have sneaked it in <_<

Spot some differences

clues

The guy crossing the road has taken nearly 40 years to walk 10 yards, has lost his 2 carrier bags of shopping and remarkably looks younger rather than older in the more recent picture :o

Thats what 40 years of stress free living and not rushing about too much can do for you lol

Guest gazgriffiths

Hi there i am studying the wicker street and nursery street area for a uni project i was wondering if you had any more pictures of these areas or any additional historic infomation abouth these areas it would be a great help for any infomation .thanks alot Gaz

Hi there i am studying the wicker street and nursery street area for a uni project i was wondering if you had any more pictures of these areas or any additional historic infomation abouth these areas it would be a great help for any infomation .thanks alot Gaz

Hi Gaz.

nursery street is 'Nursery Street'

and there is no wicker street it's 'Wicker'

though there is a Wicker Lane.

We do have loads of info and photos on here about the Wicker area,

the only problem being is finding the stuff.

Welcome to the forum.

Steve ;-)

PS, I will find some links to posts/Topics out over the weekend,

and send out via PM (personal message) to you.

PS, I will find some links to posts/Topics out over the weekend,

and send out via PM (personal message) to you.

Have sent you a PM Gaz.

Loxley Road - a one hundred year time lapse,

Loxley Methodist Chapel in view and the block

of four houses that back onto Studfield Hill (marked) can be seen on the old photo behind the telegraph pole

are still standing.

O/S map #314 (1953)

2009 image from Google SV

West Street (Bow St) and Pinfold Street

'Then' image taken from Richard's Sheffield Newspapers Scrapbook, Pre-1918

Present day image: Google SV

The main building in these pictures is Steel City House, last refurbished 1995. The corner closest to the cameras was a bank (now the main entrance and reception) and the vault is still in the basement sitting on several feet of reinforced concrete. The old post office which was at the other end on what is now West St is now a large conference room.

The main building in these pictures is Steel City House, last refurbished 1995. The corner closest to the cameras was a bank (now the main entrance and reception) and the vault is still in the basement sitting on several feet of reinforced concrete. The old post office which was at the other end on what is now West St is now a large conference room.

I have made a new topic out of the posts that cam after this post, see the new topic

What are those buildings on Charter Row

I'm sure the big old building through the arches to the right in the old photo burned down in one of the city centre's biggest blazes.

It was in the early-60s when I was a nipper and my dad came home from work, took me out and we watched it over the wall on Snig Hill Frightened the life out of me.

Anyone remember any more about it?

I remember seeing that fire but can't say what year it was.

Fire at the Wicker Goods Station, Savile Street .. picturesheffield

31st July 1966, according to Stephen R Batty in Railcentres: Sheffield, having closed as a goods station on 12th July 1965.

Charlotte Road looking south east across Shoreham Street towards Lancing Rd/Queens Rd,

a 100 year time lapse.

The corner shop; 285 Shoreham St (now S.Y.B.S.) was a second hand shop at the time

the old photograph was taken.

Link to .. 1950's O/S map #23

Charlotte Road looking south east across Shoreham Street towards Lancing Rd/Queens Rd,

a 100 year time lapse.

The corner shop; 285 Shoreham St (now S.Y.B.S.) was a second hand shop at the time

the old photograph was taken.

Link to .. 1950's O/S map #23

That Varta battery shop has been the subject of a mystery location before now, something to do with a mystery cast metal plate on the floor outside the shop, some sort of boundary marker.

Which reminds me,

When I go to town shopping on Saturday morning I park on that dead end bit of Charlotte Road near St. Marys Road behind St Marys Church.

Up to now the road signs there have said "Parking Mon to Sat 8am - 6pm, 2 hours maximum stay, no return within 2 hours"

So you can park for free for long enough to get your shopping in town

But for the last few weeks new signs have appeared which read "Parking Mon to Sat 8am - 6pm, Permit holders only, or pay at the meter, maximum stay 4 hours"

At present there are signs but no meters.

Does anyone know any more about this, when it is due to be fully introduced and what the charges for parking are likely to be?

But for the last few weeks new signs have appeared which read "Parking Mon to Sat 8am - 6pm, Permit holders only, or pay at the meter, maximum stay 4 hours"

At present there are signs but no meters.

Does anyone know any more about this, when it is due to be fully introduced and what the charges for parking are likely to be?

The residents permit holders schemes generally have a nominal charge at the meters. The ones I'm aware of are about 20p per hr.

Look carefully at the signs around that area Dave. There are some bays which allow free parking for about an hour or two.

Here for instance.

The residents permit holders schemes generally have a nominal charge at the meters. The ones I'm aware of are about 20p per hr.

Look carefully at the signs around that area Dave. There are some bays which allow free parking for about an hour or two.

Here for instance.

Google street is a bit out of date on this one vox,

Those are the street signs which have just been replaced! :o

Google street is a bit out of date on this one vox,

Those are the street signs which have just been replaced! :o

Doh!<_<

Doh!<_<

Never mind vox,

I'm sure I will be able to find somewhere else in town to park that is still free and no one else has thought of yet, - I've lived around these parts for long enough. lol