The Hole In The Road Sheffield

Sheffield History

Now theres a thought a Sheffield History charity calender, I have a comb binder.

I make myself a couple of "themed" calendars every year using my own or "borrowed" pictures and standard computer programmes for making calenders. That we I get to look at pictures I want to see rather than someone else's choice. Would work out rather expensive on my ink jet printer though. BUT if someone has the know how, equipment and business sense to pull it off for Sheffield History and a LOCAL charity (St. lukes hospice for example) then we should give it a go. I'd buy one, put my name down!

Sounds good, i might be interested.

Would we have a poll of popular images, would we try and theme them for seasons etc?

Would we have a poll of popular images, would we try and theme them for seasons etc?

I was thinking specifically of some of Stuart0742's 1960's pictures which adorn various threads. These would be best because they are in colour and, because I am aware of Stuarts sources (he sometimes tells me these things down the pub on a Wednesday night) these are professional photographs of the City with no aparent copyright restrictions. On top of that their quality and detail is really excellent.

Don't think it is reallly is a goer, but a good idea all the same

Don't think it is reallly is a goer, but a good idea all the same

Why Not?

I am part of a car forum, and we have calendars produced for a reasonable cost. With members cars chosen for each month.

Professional quality, not just pictures with little paper calenders stuck on the bottom.

I think they sell for about £12.50 - £15 each. There are only ever half a dozen or so sold each year at this cost, so presume it may drop per unit if there were more ordered/bought.

I think tho, it may be a little late to organise an '09 calender, considering it is the 5th of December.

Maybe for 2010.

Why Not?

I am part of a car forum, and we have calendars produced for a reasonable cost. With members cars chosen for each month.

Professional quality, not just pictures with little paper calenders stuck on the bottom.

I think they sell for about £12.50 - £15 each. There are only ever half a dozen or so sold each year at this cost, so presume it may drop per unit if there were more ordered/bought.

I think tho, it may be a little late to organise an '09 calender, considering it is the 5th of December.

Maybe for 2010.

I agree it is a little too late for 2009.

As Stuart0742 is a lot more business minded than me I have to agree with him her that although it is a good idea it may not be viable to do this successfully. I will certainly make myself a personal calendar to show at work but as for a more commercial product...I don't know.

I am not on about something to mass produce and try to sell to WH Smiths, lol.

Just something for us geeky lot who like looking at things that aren't there any more.

We could run a poll, see how many people would commit, and if it was worth it make some enquiries.

I am not on about something to mass produce and try to sell to WH Smiths, lol.

Just something for us geeky lot who like looking at things that aren't there any more.

We could run a poll, see how many people would commit, and if it was worth it make some enquiries.

Well volunteered Danny!

We'll leave that for you to look into and sort out then.

{DaveH and Stuart0742, take a step back in the line of volunteers and beat a hasty retreat}

Does anyone know wher I can get some good high res images of the hole in the road?

Cheers,

Vin.

Hole in the road, 1981

Nice picture but low resolution due to use of 9.5mm subminiature film

Guest Tigeratplay

The Hole In The Road said everything about Sheffield during it's time. The design was inspired, daring and new. Nothing like had gone before or even since. I loved THITR, especially at Christmas time when it was decked out with gorgeous Christmas Lights inside and out. The big department stores that had window displays beneath the road in the subways also looked lovely over the festive season and really made the effot - not like the clone shops that can been seen anywhere in the UK today.

THITR was always vibrant and busy with the hustle and bustle of shoppers on their way to another store or the bus home. You could sit in the middle, on the seating and take five to watch the world hurry by... The fish tank always facinated me, too. In my clubbing days (long gone :rolleyes: ) I would go through THITR and out the other side past the TV rental shop, Bunker and Pratleys, to get my bus home at gone 2am in the morning - never any bother.

Yep, towards the end, THITR became run down and a no go area, even by daylight, but I reckon that says more about the country we live in today, rather than THITR's design "fault". It was unique and I for one still miss it.

A fond memory of THITR to this day is when my Ma took me shopping as a nipper - must have been about five years old and before we borded the escillators to go up into High Street, I kicked the Emergency Stop button at the bottom of the almighty steel stairs, causing the whole lot to grind to a sudden halt. The escillator was full of people, who turned their heads to see what had happend below. My Ma was red faced and I got a well deserved clout round the back of me head. Happy days!! :blink: xxx

I loved THITR, especially at Christmas time when it was decked out with gorgeous Christmas Lights inside and out.

The hole in the road, December 1974.

That Christmas tree in the middle looks a bit small and tatty to me. A much bigger tree would have poked out of the hole in the middle of the roundabout at street level.

I would go through THITR and out the other side past the TV rental shop, Bunker and Pratleys, to get my bus home at gone 2am in the morning - never any bother.

Bunker & Pratley had the first colour TV I'd ever seen. I used to stop there on my way to Pond Street bus station, and join the other people watching the display model in the window.

Bunker & Pratley had the first colour TV I'd ever seen. I used to stop there on my way to Pond Street bus station, and join the other people watching the display model in the window.

Probably rubbed shoulders with you vox, seem to remember the make of the TVs were `Finlandia`or something like that. W/A.

Guest Tigeratplay

Oooh, heck!!! That 1970's Christmas Tree in the middle of THITR does look a bit lacking!! I remember the City's Christmas Illuminations back in the late 1960's and early 1970's were really lovely. I'm sure it's not my imagination - they were really good (part from the said tree!) Does anyone have pictures of the Christmas Lights back then? It would be great to see them again.

PS, loving the wide collar's on that bloke's jacket!! Think I've still got one of them coats somewhere bagged up, out of sight in the attic!! lol

Oooh, heck!!! That 1970's Christmas Tree in the middle of THITR does look a bit lacking!! I remember the City's Christmas Illuminations back in the late 1960's and early 1970's were really lovely. I'm sure it's not my imagination - they were really good (part from the said tree!) Does anyone have pictures of the Christmas Lights back then? It would be great to see them again.

PS, loving the wide collar's on that bloke's jacket!! Think I've still got one of them coats somewhere bagged up, out of sight in the attic!! lol

Hi Tigeratplay, we had a topic running over last Christmas see Link...

Welcome to the forum, I hope we can rekindle some old memories.

Stuart has already included a link to our Christmas lights thread.

I think we agreed at the time that Sheffield did used to put on anb excellent Christmas display when we were younger, - much better than todays token effort on a tight budget set of lights.

Although the Christmas Tree in the hole in the road looks small and tatty this of course is NOT the main tree displayed in the City. The "big tree" always stood at the top of Fargate close to the Goodwin Fountain, just across Surrey Street from the town hall where the council could look out of their office windows ans see what they were spending our money on.

The "big tree" was never a tatty specimen, it was always a magnificent festive display. I think (although I may be wrong on this) that the big tree, like the one in Trafalgar Square in London, is an annual gift from the people of Norway.

Stuart has already included a link to our Christmas lights thread.

I think we agreed at the time that Sheffield did used to put on anb excellent Christmas display when we were younger, - much better than todays token effort on a tight budget set of lights.

Although the Christmas Tree in the hole in the road looks small and tatty this of course is NOT the main tree displayed in the City. The "big tree" always stood at the top of Fargate close to the Goodwin Fountain, just across Surrey Street from the town hall where the council could look out of their office windows ans see what they were spending our money on.

The "big tree" was never a tatty specimen, it was always a magnificent festive display. I think (although I may be wrong on this) that the big tree, like the one in Trafalgar Square in London, is an annual gift from the people of Norway.

This years tree will be a little over powered by the wheel! I wonder if they will decorate it

This years tree will be a little over powered by the wheel! I wonder if they will decorate it

What, the tree or the wheel?

Guest Tigeratplay

Thanks so much for those pic's - I knew I hadn't imagined it all!!! They are fantastic - especially the ones looking up the Moor and down Fargate. Brings back some really good childhood memories, so much so that the back of my head even feels a bit inflamed from when Ma clouted me for stopping the HITR escillators! Brill!! Even some of the modern day LED Illuminations don't look bad. The picture of Guy Fawkes on top of the Flickering Bonfire was a good one and I'm sure I've seen that display at the Skegness Illuminations not so many years ago! ;-)

Com'on they always decorate the tree :)

Have you seen SteveHB's picture of the wheel taken at night on the Sheffield wheel thread?

It looks well decorated to me.

Guest shaung

Does anyone know wher I can get some good high res images of the hole in the road?

Cheers,

Vin.

hi vin,,go to www.picturesheffield.co.uk, on the list on the left hand side click search picture sheffield,then another page will appear,in the lower middle of the screen in green letters click search database,then go the letter h and click,then where it says please select from h,s scroll down list till you find hole in the road then press search and your pics will appear,hope this is usefull.

Guest andydeda

Can anyone remember the fish tank in the wall of hole in the road, as I remember there was also a newspaper kiosk as well. My wife says she use to walk through there at least once a week and cant remember seeing it?....as I recall the fish in the tank were MASSIVE...