The Hole In The Road Sheffield

Sheffield History

Can anyone remember the fish tank in the wall of hole in the road, as I remember there was also a newspaper kiosk as well. My wife says she use to walk through there at least once a week and cant remember seeing it?....as I recall the fish in the tank were massive...

Hi andydeda

Have you seen our main topic about Castle Sq, I will add your post to it.

Can anyone remember the fish tank in the wall of hole in the road, as I remember there was also a newspaper kiosk as well. My wife says she use to walk through there at least once a week and cant remember seeing it?....as I recall the fish in the tank were massive...

Sure I have posted a picture somewhere of one of the fish in the tank in the hole in the road, - a close up shot which unfortunately doesn't show the tank and its surroundings which I suppose is the picture we would really like here.

I can't find my fish picture now and I can't remember where I posted it :(

Guest andydeda

I think theres enough informtion here to convince my wife I was right .....(hopefully)

I agree with most of the comments the hole in the road should have stayed...it was something that set Sheffield apart from other places

Nobody's mentioned the record shop that used to be near Bunker and Pratley's I think it was K&D records who also used to have a stall in the castle market. Can anyone confirm?

--

John D

Guest wayneybabes

picturesheffield have updated and some more photos have been added. here are a few interior photos

1/ http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=t02854&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

2/ http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=t02858&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

3/ http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=t02855&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

4/ http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=t02857&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

5/ http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=t02859&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

6/ http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=v03560&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

7/ http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=s23697&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

and a few when it was under construction

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=u05354&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=v03422&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=v03427&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXQwMjg1NSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

The saga of the hole in the road being built, only for the Council to change their minds about it and fill it in again within 40 years always reminds me of this 1962 recording by Bernard Cribbins

Hole in the ground

There I was, a-digging this hole

A hole in the ground, so big and sort of round it was

There was I, digging it deep

It was flat at at the bottom and the sides were steep

When along, comes this bloke in a bowler which he lifted and scratched his head

Well we looked down the hole, poor demented soul and he said

Do you mind if I make a suggestion?

Don't dig there, dig it elsewhere

Your digging it round and it ought to be square

The shape of it's wrong, it's much much too long

And you can't put hole wher a hole don't belong

I ask, what a liberty eh

Nearly bashed him right in the bowler

Well there was I, stood in me hole

Shovelling earth for all I was worth

There was him, standing up there

So grand and official with his nose in the air

So I gave him a look sort of sideways and I leaned on my shovel and sighed

Well I lit me a fag, and having took a drag I replied

I just couldn't bear, to dig it elsewhere

I'm digging it round co's I don't want it square

And if you disagree it don't bother me

That's the place where the holes gonna be

Well there we were, disscussing this hole

A hole in the groud so big and sort of round

Well it's not there now, the grounds all flat

And beneath it is the bloke in the bowler hat

And that's that

Did you know the fish tank in the Hole in the Road held 2, 000 gallons o f water?

Also about 19 fish including

2 rudd

2 roach

3 goldfish, one of them a 18 year old silver one.

2 crusian carp

2 bream , one bronze and one silver.

Chub, dace, golden rudd, orfe, tench and koi carp.

That's a whole lorra maggots. they were fed five times a week and would

devour a pint of maggots and bread in two days

Did you know the fish tank in the Hole in the Road held 2, 000 gallons o f water?

2000 gallons of water is 9092 litres which would have a mass of around 9 tons.

So how thick was the glass to withstand the pressure of water behind it?

2000 gallons of water is 9092 litres

Forgot to add, as a litre is a precise volume, being a thousandth of a cubic metre, the tank would have an internal volume of just over 9 cubic metres, call it 10 cubic metres allowing for the fish, gravel and fittings.

Most of us that can remember it were impressed with the large frontage of the tank, - but it was much more difficult to estimate its depth due to the refraction through that thick glass front panel.

Perhaps with this information we could make a calculated estimate of the depth.

2000 gallons of water is 9092 litres which would have a mass of around 9 tons.

So how thick was the glass to withstand the pressure of water behind it?

Not forgetting to add the total weight of the fish, Dave .. lol

I'm surprised that the fish were fed bread, it is not advisable to feed aquarium fish with it.

Perhaps with this information we could make a calculated estimate of the depth.

Using ADMIN's original picture of the tank in post #1 and counting the standard sized bricks around it the tank would appear to be about 15ft long and 4ft tall (4.5m x 1.2m)

These dimensions would give a tank depth of only 60cm (0.6m) in order to hold the stated 2000 gallons.

So perhaps the tank did not go back as far as one may have imagined, even allowing for the shortening effect of light being refracted through the front panel.

Guest wayneybabes

Using ADMIN's original picture of the tank in post #1 and counting the standard sized bricks around it the tank would appear to be about 15ft long and 4ft tall (4.5m x 1.2m)

These dimensions would give a tank depth of only 60cm (0.6m) in order to hold the stated 2000 gallons.

So perhaps the tank did not go back as far as one may have imagined, even allowing for the shortening effect of light being refracted through the front panel.

Have you allowed for 1/2" cement between bricks?

I thought about that as well dave.

Unfortunately there are quite a few "standard sized" bricks.

The ones in the picture seem to have (and it's difficult to be accurate) a ratio of about 3.2/1

That's as far as I got because it's a minefield out there. Drove me bonkers trying to sort it out.

I thought about that as well dave.

Unfortunately there are quite a few "standard sized" bricks.

The ones in the picture seem to have (and it's difficult to be accurate) a ratio of about 3.2/1

That's as far as I got because it's a minefield out there. Drove me bonkers trying to sort it out.

I think the "counting bricks" technique gives a fair ESTIMATE of the tank size and it would be a valid method in quantity surveying.

I assumed with the 1966 build date that the bricks would most likely be standard imperial 9" x 4.5" x 3" but there is very little difference in size for other bricks given that this is only an estimate.

I did actually allow a bit extra for the cement between the bricks as wayneybabes suggests.

There is no doubt that the tank had a front dimension in this range as many of us can remember it well, what is suprising is that given that it only contained 2000 gallons of water (as though that was a small number) the tank could not have actually been very deep from front to back.

I think the "counting bricks" technique gives a fair ESTIMATE of the tank size and it would be a valid method in quantity surveying.

I assumed with the 1966 build date that the bricks would most likely be standard imperial 9" x 4.5" x 3" but there is very little difference in size for other bricks given that this is only an estimate.

I did actually allow a bit extra for the cement between the bricks as wayneybabes suggests.

There is no doubt that the tank had a front dimension in this range as many of us can remember it well, what is suprising is that given that it only contained 2000 gallons of water (as though that was a small number) the tank could not have actually been very deep from front to back.

As someone who keeps a tank of fish there must have a been a side, back and top access point to this tank to feed the fish, clean off algae and partially change the water every so often as well as other items of maintenance.

No access to the tank for this purpose was ever that obvious.

Guest transit

As someone who keeps a tank of fish there must have a been a side, back and top access point to this tank to feed the fish, clean off algae and partially change the water every so often as well as other items of maintenance.

No access to the tank for this purpose was ever that obvious.

iirc there was definately access , as i once saw someone feeding from the back ! - i reckon there must have been a side door or entrance through the "bus travel information" shop , which had a corridor to the tank as no doors were visible near the tank .!

As for the depth of the tank , youre estimate of around 60cm , - ( 2 foot ) does sound about right . The illusion of depth would have been emphacised to the viewer with "scenery " gradiating upwards towards the back , and the backdrop itself , as most do with their tanks in the home !

From my recollection , i was surprised how close the attendant was as i looked through !!!!!

Well after all that I thought one or two of you fishermen would have been interested

in to what happened to the fish. :rolleyes: and all you discuss is the water pressure

etc. I blame Dave for that , he gets very technical doesn't he. lol

Well after all that I thought one or two of you fishermen would have been interested

in to what happened to the fish. :rolleyes: and all you discuss is the water pressure

etc. I blame Dave for that , he gets very technical doesn't he. lol

Don't tell me they were released into Hillsborough Park pond,

or maybe they finnishd up on a slab in the fish market :o

lol

Don't tell me they were released into Hillsborough Park pond,

or maybe they finnishd up on a slab in the fish market :o

lol

Half of the fish belonged to the attendant so on the day of reckoning

the wild fish were let into the rivers of the keeper's favourite fishing spots

and the domestic fish he took back home with him to his own tank.

It was suggested to have them on show at the Ponds Forge Leisure

Centre but the council at the time didn't seem too willing and a little dark

corner out of the way in the Centre was offered but alas it never happened.

iirc there was definately access , as i once saw someone feeding from the back ! - i reckon there must have been a side door or entrance through the "bus travel information" shop , which had a corridor to the tank as no doors were visible near the tank .!

As for the depth of the tank , youre estimate of around 60cm , - ( 2 foot ) does sound about right . The illusion of depth would have been emphacised to the viewer with "scenery " gradiating upwards towards the back , and the backdrop itself , as most do with their tanks in the home !

From my recollection , i was surprised how close the attendant was as i looked through !!!!!

Sounds about right to me transit,

As you say, no visible access but there must have been some just for the tank to be kept in its permenant well maintained and stocked up state.

I blame Dave for that , he gets very technical doesn't he. lol

I may be a "tech guy" ukelele lady, but at least I don't work for PC World lol

Half of the fish belonged to the attendant so on the day of reckoning

the wild fish were let into the rivers of the keeper's favourite fishing spots

and the domestic fish he took back home with him to his own tank.

It was suggested to have them on show at the Ponds Forge Leisure

Centre but the council at the time didn't seem too willing and a little dark

corner out of the way in the Centre was offered but alas it never happened.

Steve wasn't far wrong then.

Half the fish were released into local rivers for fishermen to pull out, take home, fry and serve up with some chips! :o

Steve wasn't far wrong then.

Half the fish were released into local rivers for fishermen to pull out, take home, fry and serve up with some chips! :o

I hope not , they all had names you know :o

On the other hand I've gutted and cleaned many a fish that a fisherman has gave me but if I

open it up and I see maggots or husks it puts me off. :P