The Hole In The Road Sheffield

Sheffield History

Sounds about right to me transit,

As you say, no visible access but there must have been some just for the tank to be kept in its permenant well maintained and stocked up state.

There was a concealed opening to the right side of the fish tank and it was very tight and

compact inside with the water pipes etc.

Not much room to maneuver.

There was a concealed opening to the right side of the fish tank and it was very tight and

compact inside with the water pipes etc.

Not much room to maneuver.

A secret, concealed entrance :unsure:

Was the door disguised with a brick design to make it blend in with the rest of that surrounding wall? <_<

Guest plain talker

A secret, concealed entrance :unsure:

Was the door disguised with a brick design to make it blend in with the rest of that surrounding wall? <_<

No the wall around the fish tank (And indeed along past the transport offices etc) was all clad in a routered wood, in a sort of corduroy-but-bigger stripes kind of look, and the door was hidden within the wooden panelling.

No the wall around the fish tank (And indeed along past the transport offices etc) was all clad in a routered wood, in a sort of corduroy-but-bigger stripes kind of look, and the door was hidden within the wooden panelling.

That would make it even easier to disguise, - a few wooden panels arranged vertically to match the door edges.

Now if the attendant wore some wood coloured corduroy (but bigger) clothing he would be able to enter and leave almost undetected. lol

That would make it even easier to disguise, - a few wooden panels arranged vertically to match the door edges.

Now if the attendant wore some wood coloured corduroy (but bigger) clothing he would be able to enter and leave almost undetected. lol

I believe he did have some corduroy trousers but in brown. he he

Eleven years before the hole in the road closed, my late brother wrote to the council

to complain about the sorry state the fish tank was in.

Being a keen fisherman himself he thought the fish should have better treatment.

On receiving the letter the council wrote back to my brother and offered him the job of

looking after the tank and fish.

He happily did this for eleven years until the closure of the hole in the road.

Eleven years before the hole in the road closed, my late brother wrote to the council

Being a keen fisherman himself he thought the fish should have better treatment.

On receiving the letter the council wrote back to my brother and offered him the job of

That's a great story :)

Offered a job just for writing a letter complaining about something that was their responsibility :blink:

Was it a PAID job <_<

I think I'll write to MP complaining about the state of the Nation and see if he offers me his job, - complete with expenses B)

Or if I write to my bank manager complaining about their paltry interest rates perhaps they could offer me a job on a bank managers salary with typical bankers annual bonuses paid for doing nothing :o

Now if a parent complains about my teaching they can willingly have my job :P

Offered a job just for writing a letter complaining about something that was their responsibility :blink:

Was it a PAID job <_<

I think I'll write to MP complaining about the state of the Nation and see if he offers me his job, - complete with expenses B)

Or if I write to my bank manager complaining about their paltry interest rates perhaps they could offer me a job on a bank managers salary with typical bankers annual bonuses paid for doing nothing :o

Now if a parent complains about my teaching they can willingly have my job :P

All I can think is at the time there were no one with any sort of interest in the tank or the fish

that is why it got into the state it was in.

Not a well paid job, they just paid his expenses nothing more. He did did it out of love

of his hobby.

All I can think is at the time there were no one with any sort of interest in the tank or the fish

that is why it got into the state it was in.

Not a well paid job, they just paid his expenses nothing more. He did did it out of love

of his hobby.

Great way to get a job. ;-)

I assume the Council realised at the time they had the hole in the road built with a large underground fish tank built into the wall that it would require constant daily maintainence by someone that knew about fish and aquatics. :unsure:

No, - I thought not! :angry:

Great way to get a job. ;-)

I assume the Council realised at the time they had the hole in the road built with a large underground fish tank built into the wall that it would require constant daily maintainence by someone that knew about fish and aquatics. :unsure:

No, - I thought not! :angry:

Yes Dave , I never really thought of it that way . Bet you're right though, they wouldn't have thought

that far in advance.

Yes Dave , I never really thought of it that way . Bet you're right though, they wouldn't have thought

that far in advance.

As a tank has to be set up and "matured" before fish can be put in the tank, a process that takes a few weeks because it relies on cultivating the correct bacteria in the water, it makes you wonder how they managed to set up such a successful and impresive tank in the first place.

Guest wayneybabes

Just made a quick video which shows the hole in the road

Great Video

"You don't know what you've got 'till its gone!"

Guest AussieGirl

I remember the hole inthe road and the fish tank as well as the smell of wee and the football fans at the week ends was in Sheffield late 70s early 80s before I went back to Australia the city certainly has changed

I remember the hole inthe road and the fish tank as well as the smell of wee and the football fans at the week ends was in Sheffield late 70s early 80s before I went back to Australia the city certainly has changed

What does a football fan smell like AussieGirl ?

lol :

Thank you for posting & Welcome to Sheffield History

;-)

HELP !!! I've been asked a question about the Hole in the Road that I can't answer.

Matter of fact, I've never even thought about it.

Was the Fish Tank in there from the beginning, or was it added later ?

HELP !!! I've been asked a question about the Hole in the Road that I can't answer.

Matter of fact, I've never even thought about it.

Was the Fish Tank in there from the beginning, or was it added later ?

Good question; no idea.

The "Hole in the Road" subterranean system was opened on November 27, 1967.

From

fell into disrepair during the early 1990s and were finally closed to the public on January 10, 1994.

Good question; no idea.

The "Hole in the Road" subterranean system was opened on November 27, 1967.

From

fell into disrepair during the early 1990s and were finally closed to the public on January 10, 1994.

I must correct you on this Richard, the fish tank fell into disrepair during the 80s .

It was because of this my brother wrote a letter of complaint to the then Sheffield Council that

my brother was offered the job of servicing the tank.

The Sheffield Star did an article in April 1994 after the decision was made to fill in the hole in the road and interviewed

the last keeper of the fish tank. It said he had been doing this job for the last ten years [ after he had made the complaint ]

In other words he took on this dirty tank and made good , also adding some of his own fish.

Happy to be corrected, I was hoping the opening date might give some kind of lead to newspaper articles and, therefore, to more information regarding the fishtank.

I worked, briefly, during late 1984 down there in the Tandy/Radio Shack shop - the place was starting a long slow decline, even back then.

I worked, briefly, during late 1984 down there in the Tandy/Radio Shack shop - the place was starting a long slow decline, even back then.

Was there a TV shop next to Tandy or were there TVs in Tandy's window?

Either way I think that it was in the window of a shop in the "Hole" that I saw colour telly for the first time.

(A long time before the 80's though.)

Guest wayneybabes

Either way I think that it was in the window of a shop in the "Hole" that I saw colour telly for the first time.

think the TV shop you ask about was Bunker & Pratleys

Edit: Just noticed you say well before the 80's so not so sure now

Guest wayneybabes

I worked, briefly, during late 1984 down there in the Tandy/Radio Shack shop

I remember my dad buying me a version of the 'Simon' electronic game from Tandy's, probably around 1985/6. it had 12 different coloured squares on the front and you could play Simon and also each square had a different 'musical' note.

Eastenders theme tune anyone?

Bunker and Pratley perhaps??