The Hole In The Road Sheffield

Sheffield History

I was readin the local free paper The sheffield Free Gazette and there is a snippet in there that says the 1989 black and white image of the hole in the road is a best seller at a city gallery temp set up by 2 photographers on london rd! So it just goes to show that the hole in the road..even though some people thought it smelly, dingy place (blame the council for that) it was 1st place on one of sheffields top landmarks of all time and is still alive today worldwide on peoples walls!

THE HOLE IN THE ROAD

pictured above - the area as it looks now - you can see the supertram right on top of it!

PICTURES

THE FISHTANK

MEMORIES OF THE HOLE IN THE ROAD

The Shops:

A shoe repair shop

An entrance to Yorkshire Electricity

An underground entrance to C&A

Tobacconist

Sandwich shop ?

People who used to sell posters (laying them on the floor either round the edge or in the middle near the plants)

Stinky toilets

The Fishtank

The Escalators taking you down

South Yorkshire transport office(timetables)

The small island of plants right in the middle

Instant Images

SWFC Kabin

An entrance to bunker and pratley's TV shop

Tandys

'Decor8' - paint shop (fitzlan square side)

Fruit shop ?

The Hole In The Road was demolished and was filled in by the rubble created from the demolition of Kelvin Flats !

More Coming Shortly..

I don't think this photo has been posted before,

What make is the red car?

Came across a couple more pics of "The Hole" Iwas trying to date the one showing High Street. Looking at the cars and buses I am guessing the early sixties. anyone else have any thoughts?

I feel sure there was a sign (a brass plaque) in the Hole in the Road saying that it was officially opened in late 1967 (can't remember the exact date), by I think alderman Sydney Dyson, so mid or at least second half of the sixties would seem more likely a date for the pictures

I wasn't here in Sheffield at the time buy remember hearing that the completion was delayed by several months because the contractors struck coal and the council insisted on extracting what could be got out to defray the cost of it.

Has anybody an idea of how many tons of coal was salvaged from the site ?

I wasn't here in Sheffield at the time buy remember hearing that the completion was delayed by several months because the contractors struck coal and the council insisted on extracting what could be got out to defray the cost of it.

Has anybody an idea of how many tons of coal was salvaged from the site ?

They also struck coal when they excavated the underpass between Matilda St and Furnival Gate

Don't know how much though

They also struck coal when they excavated the underpass between Matilda St and Furnival Gate

Don't know how much though

More recently they hit the seam during the excavations for foundations of the new development where Office World was, at the corner of Eyre Street and Furnival Street. I believe they extracted that too.

More recently they hit the seam during the excavations for foundations of the new development where Office World was, at the corner of Eyre Street and Furnival Street. I believe they extracted that too.

1960's view accross Hight St to Angel St

I see a Meschersmitt

lol

Funny that,

Stuart0742 was only telling me about this post over a pint last night and we had commented on how long it would be before transit or bus man did a reply mentioning the vehicles in the picture and the fact that one of them is indeed a Meserschmitt.

We didn't think that it would be you though SteveHB that would pick up on it!

However, we were having this drink after going to the Norfolk School film show by Eric Smith and as mentioned by Karen Marsh on another thread on this site. We did comment that we were suprised that you were not there yourself as Stuart tells me you are an old Norfolk School boy yourself.

Guest plain talker

I see a Meschersmitt

lol

My goodness! so it is! I thought the red was a motorcycle, covered over, (I thought it was a bit odd that the M/C was in the middle of the road! Me and my "blonde" moments!!!

I think that is one of the first pictures on here that shows a clear "Cockaynes" sign

Yes it does.

In the "Watson's Walk" thread I referred to this building which is now Argos as Schofields.

Does anyone know any dates when this building changed name / ownership?

Is the extension of the Angel Street pavement leftwards just in front of Cockaynes the entrance to Watson's Walk?

Yes it does.

In the "Watson's Walk" thread I referred to this building which is now Argos as Schofields.

Does anyone know any dates when this building changed name / ownership?

Is the extension of the Angel Street pavement leftwards just in front of Cockaynes the entrance to Watson's Walk?

Yes the top end of Cockaynes/Schofields is the same as the entrance to Argos and Watson Walk

Yes the top end of Cockaynes/Schofields is the same as the entrance to Argos and Watson Walk

Thanks for clarifying that Stuart0742 as I have said so on the Watson's Walk thread although there was some confusion with another side entry lower down Angel Street where people would queue up for the ABC if they were waiting for a film premier of a major blockbuster. Don't know what the other entry was called though, or if it even had a name.

Early 60's view up High St from Commercial St

The row of shops just this side of 'Walshes' Department store were demolished when the building was altered to blend in to re 'Hole in the Road' development around 1967/8.

Again like other 60's colour photos I have added there is a good selection of contempory cars and a great 'Davys' Bakery lorry.

Guest transit

Early 60's view up High St from Commercial St

The row of shops just this side of 'Walshes' Department store were demolished when the building was altered to blend in to re 'Hole in the Road' development around 1967/8.

Again like other 60's colour photos I have added there is a good selection of contempory cars and a great 'Davys' Bakery lorry.

WOW... what a brilliant pic !!!! and isnt it just brilliant that the front two buses (or almost identical) are still around to be seen today (and hopefully many more years!)for future generations of Sheffielders -just check and compare yourself ....... lol

I like this veiw as it shows the area down Snig Hill before the courts/police headquarters were built.

And i have never seen a shot from this angle before in this era, only old b/w victorian pictures.

Lovely shot.

Nice pictures Stuart, you seem to have a good supply of excellent quality 1960's colour pictures of Sheffield. I am thinking of using some of them to make my own personal 2009 Sheffield calendar over the Christmas holiday.

Nice pictures Stuart, you seem to have a good supply of excellent quality 1960's colour pictures of Sheffield. I am thinking of using some of them to make my own personal 2009 Sheffield calendar over the Christmas holiday.

Now theres a thought a Sheffield History charity calender, I have a comb binder.