The Hole In The Road Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest wayneybabes

I'm sure there was one in Meadowhall near where argos is, I think it was just opposite

yes, now you come to mention it, there was one down there. there was also a small woolworths just down from there

yes, now you come to mention it, there was one down there. there was also a small woolworths just down from there

yeah the Woolworths is now a sports shop i think?

Tandy was where there was once a dry cleaners and photo shop? next to what is now Sports direct?

Tandy's, Dixons and the like were not my kind of shops just somewhere that I used to loose the OH like a kid with a toy shop. I would wander on realise he was missing and have to back track to all the electrical shops he he . I do however remember Woolworths at Meadowhall it used to sell childrens Ladybird clothes.

Found a couple more pics from Aug 1993...

cant remember the Bankers Draught as "lazer quest"? !

I can't remember the Bankers Draft ! but then I'd left the home town by then ...

Guest transit

Check out this picture my Dad has dug out from his collection!! not many taken from this angle...

.. yet another great pic Andy - hope you tell your dad to keep searching !!!!

what is noticable in the pic ( apart from the buses!) is the concrete roof of the dome was painted in its latter days , to probably brighten up the drab concrete finish , which no one else has remembered / noticed before in all the HITR topics !

.. yet another great pic Andy - hope you tell your dad to keep searching !!!!

what is noticable in the pic ( apart from the buses!) is the concrete roof of the dome was painted in its latter days , to probably brighten up the drab concrete finish , which no one else has remembered / noticed before in all the HITR topics !

thanks transit will do!

another thing I noticed was the Wolf record shop advert which was discussed in another thread somewhere

Guest max

i used to think the hole in the road was great, it was like a whole seperate shoping area away from everything else.

in the late 70s we had some tropical fish in a big tank at home and 5 of the fish became too big for the tank so my dad contacted the bloke who looked after the tank in the hole in the road and he ended up putting them in there, every time i was in town i used to have a look at my old fish in that tank !

after leaving school i also worked for a company that owned a household textiles stall in there as well, i can remember taking stock deliveries down the ramp just on arundel gate (i think). can anyone remember that textile stall ?

Was there a TV shop next to Tandy or were there TVs in Tandy's window?

Either way I think that it was in the window of a shop in the "Hole" that I saw colour telly for the first time.

(A long time before the 80's though.)

Hi, New to the site and just been reading this section. I worked at Walsh's in 74-76 in the radio & tv dept and we also had a very prominent window in the HITR. The reason being the quality of the picture was much better as it was darker with no light reflection. I had the job of filling the window and making sure the sets were all working well. 'Wayneybabes' post has a picture of the window with tv's working, it may even have been me that put them there!. I remember at that time we had 22" 'pye' sets (valve) which we bought in bulk and were selling for £199, sub £200 sets of that size were rare and we were selling 30 a day!. Good old days.

Hi, New to the site and just been reading this section. I worked at Walsh's in 74-76 in the radio & tv dept and we also had a very prominent window in the HITR. The reason being the quality of the picture was much better as it was darker with no light reflection. I had the job of filling the window and making sure the sets were all working well. 'Wayneybabes' post has a picture of the window with tv's working, it may even have been me that put them there!. I remember at that time we had 22" 'pye' sets (valve) which we bought in bulk and were selling for £199, sub £200 sets of that size were rare and we were selling 30 a day!. Good old days.

Welcome to Sheffield History mike-s and thank you for posting.

Nice to have someone who actually worked in the hole in the road and so may have a more complete memory of it than some of us one time frequent visitors.

Any more information you could add to this topic on any aspect of the hole in the road would be welcome.

Guest mikeinsheffield

Welcome to the site Vinny. There are quite a feww keen photographers on this site that may be able to help you. You may also want to try Picture Sheffield.

Just seen some interesting Hole in the Road photos and a good write-up in the new nostalgia magazine 'My Kind of Town'

Just seen some interesting Hole in the Road photos and a good write-up in the new nostalgia magazine 'My Kind of Town'

Hi mike, can you tell me where you get this magazine.

I wouldn't mind reading it.

Welcome to Sheffield History mikeinsheffield and thank you for posting.

I think quite a few of us on here would be interested in knowing more about the "My Kind of Town" magazine.

Guest mikeinsheffield

Welcome to Sheffield History mikeinsheffield and thank you for posting.

I think quite a few of us on here would be interested in knowing more about the "My Kind of Town" magazine.

I got mine from Waterstones. 84 pages, plenty to read. My wife has now subscribed to it for me. Comes out four times a year I think. It's done by Heron Publications at Hutcliffe Wood Road.

I got mine from Waterstones. 84 pages, plenty to read. My wife has now subscribed to it for me. Comes out four times a year I think. It's done by Heron Publications at Hutcliffe Wood Road.

Thanks mikein sheffield,

I am sure a lot of members would be interested in it.

Guest kaylib

I remember it well i also remember been at a training centre after leaving school which looked down into the hole in the road was always throwing things out of the window at the training centre and into the hole. Looking back it was a stupid and dangerous thing to do could have hurt someone.

Really enjoyed this thread and the fantastic pictures. Surprised no-one has mentioned the record shop that opened towards the end of the hole in the roads life, called Wolf Records, near the House of Fraser exit.

Guest Nigel379

I remember the 'Hole in the Road' with great fondness. In my early army days I was always dropped off at the Barclay's bank just below the Hole, on a Friday for the weekend. The 'Hole' was my passport to humanity for a couple of days each week, as well as the start point for most pub crawls. It was my moment of being home again. Time for a wee moment of nostalgia.

Guest skippywells1

if you look hard enough at the pics you will see me standing next to the fish tank being stood up several times :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Here are a few hitherto unseen images which I think I took in the early 1960s when THITR was being constructed. I've absolutely no recollection of taking them nor why I took them, but then I can't remember much about the 1960s generally. My lost decade!

It just occured to me that whilst I'm certain that they were not intended to be a panorama, in fact they do stitch together reasonably well - so for what it's worth I've added them at the bottom.

Fine work indeed, Thank you.

I may just have struggled to place Commercial Street if you hadn't said. Born early 60's ... if it wasn't for the flats, I'd have been lost.