Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

I don't think my memory is that good wayneybabes,

Unless of course I have an old photo showing the correct number of windows and drainpipes

thats what i may have to do :rolleyes:

wow, we have reached 1000 replies on this thread!!!!!!!

thats what i may have to do :rolleyes:

I would quite like to see your artistic interpretation, - with a free "artistic licence" on numbers of windows and drainpipes, so long as it is recognisably the school we both know.

I seem to remember on the front cover of the 1968 school magazine (I had a copy, I had an article in it, but I can no longer find it, -44 years is a long time for it to go missing in) there was a piece of artwork done by a student, probably taught by Lass Bray, which was just a pen and ink sketch of the school bridge. It looked really good but no one ever checked if it had the right number of glass panels and windows on it.

wow, we have reached 1000 replies on this thread!!!!!!!

It's a very popular topic and we do have more Sheffield History members that are prepared to admit they went to Norfolk than to any other school (about 15 or so of us, - a long way short of the 300+ on Facebook's Norfolk School group but not bad to say that we have around 12500 members and Facebook has millions of members)

Then again when you look at it, most of those 1000 posts have been done by me and you!

The GOOD NEWS :) is the Dagnam Road sign is back, firmly attached to its supports outside Frithy's old house

the BAD NEWS :( is that the gate support is still in a terrible state.

More damage to the school site on Cradock Road

This time it seems that a car coming along Edenhall Road has pulled out at speed, failed to take the corner, mounted the opposite kerb and gone straight into the school railings between the main school gate to the driveway and the caretakers house.

The railings have taken the impact and have been pushed back by just over a metre (3 to 4 feet) but have not snapped or broken, just bent.

In the picture they are where the red net fencing has been placed.

Lucky they didn't hit that telegraph pole.

In 1970 / 71 Frithy DID hit that telegraph pole while coming down Cradock Road on a pushbike with no brakes.

He knocked himself out and was found by the school caretaker, Leslie Wilkinson.

Looks like a dangerous bit of road.

Guest wayneybabes

found a random class photo from facebook, dont know the year yet im afraid

also, Dave, Stuart etc...... an ex pupil called Jayne Lever from your year has joined the group and she remembers all of you guys!!!

Edit: been informed it is roughly 1976

found a random class photo from facebook, dont know the year yet im afraid

attachicon.gif603250_10151325100023114_1246307037_n.jpg

also, Dave, Stuart etc...... an ex pupil called Jayne Lever from your year has joined the group and she remembers all of you guys!!!

Edit: been informed it is roughly 1976

Photo certainly looks "after my time" (after 1972) so 1976 could be about right.

Not sure who Jayne Lever is though, - can't place her at all. Is Lever her maiden or married name?

If she knows me and Stuart perhaps she should try joining Sheffield History and posting on here as one of us (usually me if it is in the Norfolk School topic) is sure to reply to her.

...and if she joined SH I'm sure we have more stuff (pictures and videos) of Norfolk School that she won't have seen on the FaceBook Norfolk School group (I thought you were working on that link between the two wayneybabes)

Guest wayneybabes

Photo certainly looks "after my time" (after 1972) so 1976 could be about right.

Not sure who Jayne Lever is though, - can't place her at all. Is Lever her maiden or married name?

If she knows me and Stuart perhaps she should try joining Sheffield History and posting on here as one of us (usually me if it is in the Norfolk School topic) is sure to reply to her.

...and if she joined SH I'm sure we have more stuff (pictures and videos) of Norfolk School that she won't have seen on the FaceBook Norfolk School group (I thought you were working on that link between the two wayneybabes)

i'm not sure if that is her maiden name or not, will have to ask

she remembers you, tony bunting, antony bishop & david dean

i have tried to get her to come on here as well as other members of the group but no -one seems to be interested at the moment!

i'm not sure if that is her maiden name or not, will have to ask

she remembers you, tony bunting, antony bishop & david dean

i have tried to get her to come on here as well as other members of the group but no -one seems to be interested at the moment!

Are you sure she is in the same year as me and Stuart (1967 - 1972)

I don't recognise any of those names at all

Guest wayneybabes

Are you sure she is in the same year as me and Stuart (1967 - 1972)

I don't recognise any of those names at all

just noticed she says she left the comprehensive in 78. She must have got her wires crossed!

just noticed she says she left the comprehensive in 78. She must have got her wires crossed!

So she started either after I left (most likely) or in my final year (If she did the Norfolk 6th form which was running at the time)

She could actually have been in my younger brothers year, - PaulH, and may remember him and his friends

Found on FriendReunited

A picture of games teacher Man McDermott (1939 - 1972) from 1964

Died, aged 33, after a sunday League football match

I recently joined Facebook and immediately signed up to wayneybabes Norfolk Comprehensive School group.

An excellent group, - I have already posted a couple of old school items on it.

I would recommend that any reader of this topic who is an ex student of Norfolk School and that has a FaceBook account should join the Norfolk comp facebook group

A picture I posted on the Facebook group, using 2 of my own pictures previously used pictures in this topic

I was inspired by wayneybabes banner header on the Facebook group and put this picture together.

It holds a lot of memories for me, and even nearly 50 years later I find it quite frightening to look at.

Now just imagine you knew you had done something wrong and you were walking along that top corridor minding your own business and then Man Whitham came walking towards you (as pictured) with that certain angered look on his face (as pictured).

You sort of knew you were in for it, - especially if he shouted your (surname) out to get your attention.

What did you do? Your best option was to turn around and walk away from him, the other option, to continue going where you intended going and to have to walk past him would be a high risk of being lifted off the ground by your sideburns and given a telling off before being ordered to go and wait at either his or Man Thompsons office.

The picture represents a common very frightening prospect for many students that attended during Man Whithams reign as Deputy Head.

Guest wayneybabes

I recently joined Facebook and immediately signed up to wayneybabes Norfolk Comprehensive School group.

An excellent group, - I have already posted a couple of old school items on it.

I would recommend that any reader of this topic who is an ex student of Norfolk School and that has a FaceBook account should join the Norfolk comp facebook group

many thanks Dave, glad you like it. It has come on leaps and bounds since Simon started the group around 4 years ago and has over 300 members.

anyone wanting to sign up to the group may be asked a couple of questions by myself or Simon that only ex pupils will know the answer to. This is because the group keeps getting requests from people who just want to advertise knock-off gear and loan companies etc

.....and also, dont sign up until February as there is a rather scary photo on the group timeline!!!!

Guest wayneybabes

A picture I posted on the Facebook group, using 2 of my own pictures previously used pictures in this topic

I was inspired by wayneybabes banner header on the Facebook group and put this picture together.

It holds a lot of memories for me, and even nearly 50 years later I find it quite frightening to look at.

attachicon.gifWhitham.jpg

Now just imagine you knew you had done something wrong and you were walking along that top corridor minding your own business and then Man Whitham came walking towards you (as pictured) with that certain angered look on his face (as pictured).

You sort of knew you were in for it, - especially if he shouted your (surname) out to get your attention.

What did you do? Your best option was to turn around and walk away from him, the other option, to continue going where you intended going and to have to walk past him would be a high risk of being lifted off the ground by your sideburns and given a telling off before being ordered to go and wait at either his or Man Thompsons office.

The picture represents a common very frightening prospect for many students that attended during Man Whithams reign as Deputy Head.

as i said on facebook dave, a great picture. it actually looks like he is shaking a misbehaving pupil!!.

Every month we change the timeline pic with a different ex pupil and the years that they attended the Comprehensive and unfortunately this month was my turn!!.

many thanks Dave, glad you like it. It has come on leaps and bounds since Simon started the group around 4 years ago and has over 300 members.

anyone wanting to sign up to the group may be asked a couple of questions by myself or Simon that only ex pupils will know the answer to. This is because the group keeps getting requests from people who just want to advertise knock-off gear and loan companies etc

.....and also, dont sign up until February as there is a rather scary photo on the group timeline!!!!

The Facebook group is excellent wayneybabes, and it compliments this Sheffield History Norfolk School topic perfectly in that they are the same but different.

That is, they have the same topic (Norfolk School) but differ in their focus.

On here the emphasis is on the history of the school and how it has changed over the years with memories from old students and the like. (It is Sheffield HISTORY)

On facebook so far it comes across as an old students group, - a set of people who share a common childhood experience by being at the same school. I bet your members are the sort who like to get together on reunions in a pub and talk about their school days and what went off over a pint or three. (If so, don't forget to let me and Stuart know).

Also, I would encourage all old students to join BOTH Sheffield History and the Facebook group to get the best of both.

Inevitably though, because not everyone will be members of both, some items will be duplicated in both places, - nothing wrong with that at all.

I wasn't asked any questions at all.

Probably because you already knew who I was from on here.

It does make me wonder though what the "couple of questions that only ex pupils will know the answer to" could be, - and if I would actually know the answers!

That very scary picture is now also on here in post #1013

Sorry, - you mean the one with you on, Not Man Whitham

Every month we change the timeline pic with a different ex pupil and the years that they attended the Comprehensive and unfortunately this month was my turn!!.

Let me know when its my turn to be the bannerman "pin up of the month", and if you want a recent picture or one from back in the day when I was at school and I will do my best to provide a suitable picture.

I didn't actually know what you looked like until I joined the Facebook group.

Perhaps if I get pictured on there someone may recognise me.

If so I hope it's not that kid who though I was a clever swot and threatened to beat me up and kill me if he ever saw me again.

Guest wayneybabes

I wasn't asked any questions at all.

Probably because you already knew who I was from on here.

It does make me wonder though what the "couple of questions that only ex pupils will know the answer to" could be, - and if I would actually know the answers!

you are correct, i knew who you where thats why you didnt get asked

........on the other hand, Stuart was asked as i wasn't 100%sure ;-)

the questions vary from person to person. There are obvious 'spammers' who request to join, like Li Chin from China who grew up in China and lived there all her life yet has her education profile set to Norfolk Comp, Sheffield :)

there are also ones who are from Sheffield who havent put anything on thier education profiles. It can be a

difficult job at times.

There are also requests from people who, if either myself or Simon accept them, can then go on to block myself or Simon from see-ing thier posts, therefore making thier comments visible to everyone on the group except us two. We would then have to rely on other members of the group to report it to us and we would have to make someone else an admin just to delete them from the group!!!!!

Guest wayneybabes

That very scary picture is now also on here in post #1013

Sorry, - you mean the one with you on, Not Man Whitham

whilst on the subject of that picture of myself, on the original photo, to the left of me is my Auntie Sue!!!!

Guest wayneybabes

Let me know when its my turn to be the bannerman "pin up of the month", and if you want a recent picture or one from back in the day when I was at school and I will do my best to provide a suitable picture.

I didn't actually know what you looked like until I joined the Facebook group.

Perhaps if I get pictured on there someone may recognise me.

will let you know well in advance!

Guest wayneybabes

If so I hope it's not that kid who though I was a clever swot and threatened to beat me up and kill me if he ever saw me again.

voilence at Norfolk School? Get Away!!!!!

whilst on the subject of that picture of myself, on the original photo, to the left of me is my Auntie Sue!!!!

Hmmm...

That girl walking down the corridor (returning to her lesson after being to the toilet) in my original picture is this girl

I don't know her name but she was in the 1st year when me and Stuart were in the 5th year, so she would have been at school from 1971 to 1976 (or 1978 if she want into the new Norfolk 6th form)

I think, but I am not sure, that this is the girl that when me and Stuart were 5th form prefects Stuart jumped down the flight of steps that went down to the annexe from the hall and landed on this girls foot causing her some distress and we had to apologise to her later.

I have her photo because she was a friend of a girlfriend of mine.

Is it your Auntie Sue :o , - Wow, what a coincidence if it is.

voilence at Norfolk School? Get Away!!!!!

This guy, clearly a well known hard case at the school who was always in fights was a Pakistani lad known as "Faz" (real name was fazill something or other) and he had definately taken something of a dislike to me for no apparent reason. It was best to avoid him, or if he was around stay in the company of one of our year group hard men.