If there was one picture you could find....

Sheffield History

Accidentally or on purpose?

On purpose, along with many other areas of Sheffield, Walkley-Heeley -Attercliffe, destruction knew no bounds, I worked for a demolition company.

Tell me you didn't knock the Gaumont down, or this could be the end of a beautiful friendship?

No not respnsible for that,

But used to get into the Gaumont for free, sneakin up the back stairs.

Guest Noise Heat Power

Here's my wish:

I wish I could find lots of pics of The Crucible just after it had opened, before any internal rearrangements or redecoration had taken place. I'm after the orange, brown and purple carpet, the huge plain walls, the bar up where the coffee shop now is, and the coffee shop down where the long bar is now.

I think The Crucible is Sheffield's most amazing building actually; the fact that it is such an uncompromising and daring space never ceases to amaze me. I am both excited and concerned about the forthcoming building work there as I fear that while it will no doubt be more suited to the needs of today, it may lose its essential 'seventiesness'.

We shall see.

But if anyone has photos of this earlier period in its history - exterior or preferably interior - I would LOVE to see them.

Here's hoping...

Here's my wish:

I wish I could find lots of pics of The Crucible just after it had opened, before any internal rearrangements or redecoration had taken place. I'm after the orange, brown and purple carpet, the huge plain walls, the bar up where the coffee shop now is, and the coffee shop down where the long bar is now.

I think The Crucible is Sheffield's most amazing building actually; the fact that it is such an uncompromising and daring space never ceases to amaze me. I am both excited and concerned about the forthcoming building work there as I fear that while it will no doubt be more suited to the needs of today, it may lose its essential 'seventiesness'.

We shall see.

But if anyone has photos of this earlier period in its history - exterior or preferably interior - I would LOVE to see them.

Here's hoping...

Always loved the name of the Greek Restaurant "Aesops tables"

OK here is a somewhat easier request than my last one.

Does anyone have a photo of the (octagonal or was it round) newspaper kiosk near the pedestrian crossing in Pond Street bus station?

Henry Pond said:
Anywhere from cumberland street down to London Rd before the Manpower building went up. I vaguely remember some shops - Lewis Leathers, Thorntons, a fancy dress shop on one side and a Millets or something on the other, with a gap where Santa's grotto used to be at Christmas and military recruting at other times. The site of my seventies haunt, the original virgin record shop.

I knew I had seen pictures of this area. These two are from J R Wrigley's excellent book "A Sheffield Camera"

post-14-1175737320.jpg

post-14-1175737337.jpg

moorfoot.jpg

moorfoot1_001.jpg

JR Wrigley is a hero of mine for the work he did back before the days of 'tinernet

Still waiting for decent pictures up, down and alongside Blake Street, showing as best we can the steepness-of-the-steep-Street !

Many Thanks

I knew I had seen pictures of this area. These two are from J R Wrigley's excellent book "A Sheffield Camera"

I'd completely forgotten about the MASSIVE parking area at Moorfoot.

I can feel another extension to the library coming on ;)

Anyway, pictures of the outside and hopefully inside of "The Raven" pub, just off West Street, before it turned into a nightmare ship; the name of the barmaid who served there would be nice too, she was probably in her Sixties in the 1970's and had multiple missing fingers (Honest, I'm not making this up)

I used to go in "The Raven" in the early 1970s. At that time it was run by "lol" & Madge Flood. When "lol" died Madge married the head barman, I think he was called Morris, receding hairline & big sideburns. Not long after this they left or sold up, that was when it was totally altered in to "The Hornblower"

In the book "A Pub on Every Corner" by Douglas Lamb, Published: 1997, ISBN: 1-874718-55-5, he says:

"Another boxer who kept the The Red lion, Holly Street for a time, came from Staffordshire originally. His name was Harvey Flood and he boxed at lightweight. His mother was the landlady of The Albany Hotel in the city centre and Harvey himself , apart from The Red Lion, held a licence for The Raven off West Street and The Harp Tavern, St Philip's Road. The Raven has been remodelled and was called The Hornblower, until changing recently to O'Hagan's. Harvey built and ran a small gymnasium behind it during his time as landlord and many a young boxer learned the ropes there"

I remember there were some out buildings at the back that had another bar in, that were used for functions. I once saw McCluskey's Apocalypse in those function rooms.

If the pubs had been used for boxing matches, that might explain why the bar opened out in to such a large square room with the roof partly made of glass.

I assume that Harvey Flood was either "lol" Flood's dad or grandad.

Great stuff, thanks for that, brought back some memories for me.

And Welcome to the site :rolleyes:

Dave Milner - that name rings a bell for some reason..

Welcome to the website Dave - keep your posts coming - fabulous stuff and well written too !

The download earlier high hazels.

has a picture of me I suspect. The picture that has the boating lake on has a child (me) near the lake talking to somone in a boat. The lady on the left sat on the bench is my grandma. We often went up to the boating lake, she lived on Basford St in Darnall. Wouldnt mind a copy of the photo.

Sue

The download earlier high hazels.

has a picture of me I suspect. The picture that has the boating lake on has a child (me) near the lake talking to somone in a boat. The lady on the left sat on the bench is my grandma. We often went up to the boating lake, she lived on Basford St in Darnall. Wouldnt mind a copy of the photo.

Sue

I'll sort that out for you Sue .

Dear Pc Infield

That would be great. Couldnt believe it when I first saw the picture.

As for the one picture I could find........for years I have been looking for the WW1 memorial which once stood in the Holy Trinity Church in Darnall (now demolished) if I could only find a picture of it I could create a new memorial as we are just about giving up on finding the origonal. :(

The memorial was last seen in the Rectory garden in Mather Road by a number of people (including me) back in the 80's, it was damaged and in need of repair. When the garage it was leaning on was stolen it was decided to move it for safe keeping. It hasnt been seen since. Any suggestions please PM me. ;-)

Sue

Boating_Lake.bmp

Here's the picture of the boating lake Sue.

If you or anyone else is interested in any more info about the park,or wishes to join Friends of High Hazels,contact me on 0114 2656900,or paulatinfieldlane@bushinternet.com.

Paul.

I'd like to see an image of Sheffield Castle, but as non are known (contemporary) to exist, I would go for a photograph/drawing or painting of Kelham Street Workhouse and Kelham Street itself which ran across the west side of the workhouse, formerly the Cotton Mill and later the Globe Works.

There is one picture of the workhouse, but its taken after bomb damage during WWII.

I've been fascinated by what was happening down there since I discovered my x5 great grandfather Thomas Parkin was a Cowkeeper at 7 Kelham Street. Since this discovery I've managed to get hold of a copy of his will and other documents.

Thomas Parkin owned 7 Kelham Street (probably inherited from his father John Parkin born 1759). Both Thomas and John were former Cutlers. Thomas made claims for the structural repairs to 7 Kelham Street sustained from the flood, and he also, I assume, sub-let the ground floor to a William Varney who made claims also at 7 Kelham Street for stock and furnishings for the Marine Store that he ran.

George Varneys son was a known fatality of the Sheffield Flood, being swept to his death from horseback at Bower Spring.

Also Thomas Parkins Cowsheds at the back of 7 Kelham Street (known locally as Parkins Yard) occupied the same land as the company I first worked for when leaving school, but I have only recently discovered this fact.

There was a whole clan of them down there, and my line married into the Oates family, both very common surnames in Sheffield, so I probably have several hundred distant cousins. Are you one of them?

Regards,

Andy

Thanks Pc Infield

Although the picture does open in the paint program so it is a little on the grainy side. You dont have a better scan of it do you? Will PM you.

Sue

Thanks Pc Infield

Although the picture does open in the paint program so it is a little on the grainy side. You dont have a better scan of it do you? Will PM you.

Sue

Guest tsavo

Tweaked it a bit. Any better?

This looks as though it was scanned on the colour setting. Removed colour info. Hope original was B & W!