If there was one picture you could find....

Sheffield History

On 25/01/2022 at 14:57, hilldweller said:

I think I've mentioned this before but I have difficulty remembering things I did an hour ago.

Under a previous landlord, there used to hang a very interesting picture (oil or could have been watercolour) in the main bar of the Cobden View Pub, Crookes.

It depicted a scene showing a row of terraced houses, facing the viewer, and running down a slope towards the River Sheaf. The view-point would be from the bridge at the bottom of Myrtle Road with Prospect Road running up the hill to the left hand side. The bottom house looked as if it was about to fall into the river / railway lines. Spaffords works was across to the right.

The painting was in a very evocative dismal style and appealed to me as it represented so much of Sheffield in the past.

It must have been by a local artist but what happened to it remains a mystery.

Any ideas anyone.

hilldweller, still here just ! 😀

Came across this on facebook, a painting by Leeds artist Stuart Walton (1973).

view.jpg

Stuart made a good job of that.  I used to walk to work and back in the 50's & 60's and passed that view twice a day crossing Havelock Bridge.

Sheffield may have been no beauty but had a special warmth and character that I love and will remember always.

6 hours ago, tozzin said:

A friend of mine lived in one of those terraced homes.

It must have kept them fit if they lived in the bottom row.  Quite a climb just to get to the street.