If there was one picture you could find....

Sheffield History

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once .......

I have a picture of Redgates, but you won't like it ..... it's actually the Redgates on the Moor, but you still won't like it much, can you guess why that might be ?

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once .......

I have a picture of Redgates, but you won't like it ..... it's actually the Redgates on the Moor, but you still won't like it much, can you guess why that might be ?

Is it after Redgates had moved out and the Stationers had taken over or is it taken with blitz damage??

It's Blitz damage, its just a small inset picture in a book; hard to tell anything about it because it's in flames.

Anyway, just for reference the book is

Then & Now The Sheffield Blitz Operation Crucible

by Alistair Lofthouse

The Print and Design Shop

279 Sharrow Vale Road

Sheffield

S11 8ZF

Tel : 01142 2679402

International : 0441142 2679402

I've just bought a bunch of books from here, great service

Here's a couple of pictures sent in by Richard

They are fantastic !!

We're unsure of copyright so if anyone knows let us know and we can credit the right people

More on the Town Hall, including our best chance at a representation of it !

First Goslings map of 1836 (town hall is number 12)

Secondly Thomas Oughtibridges view of Sheffield (town hall has a number 3 above it, immediately to the left of the Church). The view appears to be from somewhere out at West Bar, we're looking at the back of the current Cathedral. Number 2, could be the Vicarage, any other ideas?

Finally a map from 1780, shows where Orchard Street got its name, also that New Street and Figtree Lane were once, one and the same place ...

• Like 1

The 3rd map is brilliant and throws a few things up

Firstly the town hall then was at Coles Corner at the top of High Street ?

And the current town hall wasn't there and was instead 'Cheney Square'

So another quest would be to find pictures or drawings of 'cheney square' and see what the area looked like before the current town hall building was built !

Cheney Square and New Church Street - go to picturesheffield.com

Yes the 1780 map deserves a good look at, anyone any good with a dark pen, trace over the pale lines and re-scan maybe ?

Yes the 1780 map deserves a good look at, anyone any good with a dark pen, trace over the pale lines and re-scan maybe ?

Ah - high hazels park - that's somewhere I've not been since the 70's !

It holds fond memories for me..

Can I pick a fight ?

The picture labelled as Cheney Square is too far back, thats from Leopold St; there are other pictures, closer to the old Church, which show the tallest building (other than the Church), those building are down New Church Street, Cheney square is beyond that in this picture. Go forward 100 yards.

As ever, willing to be proved wrong, I've definately seen that tall building down the side street, highlights the windows on the upper floors, as lighting for workshops; could have been in a book.

I'll shuttup now, shall I :rolleyes:

Yeah - you're right !

I just got excited when I saw the title of the photo and didn't read the description properly

oops !

Good spot Richard !

Just to show ... high hazels park, I don't remember this place at all !!! It's a big place, after a lot of reading, and 26 years away, I remember Victorian Sheffield better than I do the real place.

OK this is a building which is only really of interest to me, so I am being a bit selfish requesting it, I hope no one minds.

My great aunt & uncle has a small sweet shop iirc at the top of Broad Lane, near to Beet Street. Going down Broad Lane towards West Bar the shop was on the LH side, in a block of two or three buildings which was the remnant of a long terrace of buildings.

In the mid 1970s gales blew one of the chimneys off the building and through the roof, thus the shop ceased trading, aunt and uncle moved to the tower block at the bottom of Bolsover / Winter Street.

Thanks for any help.

Whereabout exactly was it ?

X marks the spot in one of the follow links, I think it is now a grassed area where the buildings once stood, or rather it was when I left Sheffield 20 years ago... probably executive apartments now ;)

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.382231&a...r=0&src=msl

or

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.382077&a...r=0&src=msl

Second one being Brook Hill rather than Broad Lane

If you had the opportunity to find one picture of Sheffield's past what would it be ?

You are allowed one choice, and it must be located in Sheffield

e.g. The Hole In The Road Fishtank

Post what you would choose and let's see if we can hunt them down for you !

(mine would be a picture of The Fiesta inside whilst it was full of people enjoying themselves !)

Anywhere from cumberland street down to London Rd before the Manpower building went up. I vaguely remember some shops - Lewis Leathers, Thorntons, a fancy dress shop on one side and a Millets or something on the other, with a gap where Santa's grotto used to be at Christmas and military recruting at other times. The site of my seventies haunt, the original virgin record shop.

Is cumberland street the road from the bottom of the moor that leads straight across/down to London Road ?

Anywhere from cumberland street down to London Rd before the Manpower building went up. I vaguely remember some shops - Lewis Leathers, Thorntons, a fancy dress shop on one side and a Millets or something on the other, with a gap where Santa's grotto used to be at Christmas and military recruting at other times. The site of my seventies haunt, the original virgin record shop.

I do have some pictures of that. I will dig them out when I get home from work tonight.

Is cumberland street the road from the bottom of the moor that leads straight across/down to London Road ?

Bottom of the Moor, it's now the road that runs down to the left. I think you may be talikng about the current-day South street - on road down from the area I'm thinking of.