High Street in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

High Street Sheffield.jpg
Photograph of High Street in Sheffield City Centre.

Never seen this before and there's just so much to talk about!

I'm assuming we're looking here at what will eventually become the Sheffield Star's old building on the left once it replaces the buildings that are in this photo?

Further down there seems to be a statue of some sort? Is that correct?

Any other info we can gain from this fantastic photo of Sheffield in times gone by?

Ps if anyone wants to check this out it's available on Ebay here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR98398-high-street-sheffield-real-photo-uk/332413464018?

• Like 1

I think the Statue in Market Place would be Ebenezer Elliott and the building behind it would be the Shambles Market / Fitzalan Market Hall and Post Office building.

It looks to me that there are only two buildings still standing.

I am not completely  sure that I do lysander  but I think the little red arrow bottom right points to it. The statue should certainly be about there.

high_street.png

39 minutes ago, southside said:

Any one know the year the stature of Ebenezer Elliott was removed?

Good question

I don't know the answer but I bet our members do!

4 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Good question

I don't know the answer but I bet our members do!

They do,  (moved 1875)  not me though but  dunsbyowl1867 in this post            ----------    

Paid for by "Sheffield Workmen", the statue ( said not to be a good likeness) was erected in the Market Place in 1854 and moved to Weston Park in 1875. With that date in mind ,I would suggest the photo is somewhat later than that and therefore could not show a statue of Ebenezer Elliot...Looking at the men's boaters I should have thought early 1900s...which is backed up by the fact that Sheffield's tram system was electrified in 1899 and the tram is clearly running under a catenary.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lysander said:

Paid for by "Sheffield Workmen", the statue ( said not to be a good likeness) was erected in the Market Place in 1854 and moved to Weston Park in 1875. With that date in mind ,I would suggest the photo is somewhat later than that and therefore could not show a statue of Ebenezer Elliot...Looking at the men's boaters I should have thought early 1900s...which is backed up by the fact that Sheffield's tram system was electrified in 1899 and the tram is clearly running under a catenary.

Yes you are quite right lysander I am seeing a statue that's not there, I never thought about the electric tram.

I have no idea what that thing is LeadFarmer

Here is a picture of the Ebenezer Elliott statue when it was in place earlier          -----------------           (c)      http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17816&pos=64&action=zoom&id=20415

EE.jpg