Need Your Help Please

Guest meris1002

Guest meris1002

Hi im quite new to this site so be gentle with me !! :)

I'm reserarching wadsley bridge and in perticular the travellers 72 penistone road north.

What i know so far is that the fire place inside is inscripted with the date 1697, before it became a pub in 1881 it was a coach house before that, and then a type of stables.

I would like to find out if the road name changed at any point maybe when halifax and penistone road north was widened ??

The trouble is i need to go as far back as 1697 to find out information about the old fireplace.

I have collected some photos from sheffield pictures but none have any dates on them, i am going to sheffield archives on sat but some pointers would be much appricieted.

thanks

Guest meris1002

[size="4"]ive noticed people are looking at my post but not posting !!! :( - i would like a point in the right direction as it's the 1st time ive ever done anything like this, ive found some websites but not finding out a great deal of info.

Guest Trefcon

Hi meris, i'm afraid if people dont have any info you wont get a response. But dont let that worry you, its early doors yet. If i was you i would be off to the Local Studies library in town first, check what they have on the place. Just ask the librarians for help, they are very friendly and helpful, good luck and if you find anything please share it here with us.

Dean.

Circa 1852 it's shown on the map as Old Travellers Inn.

I'm sure I found a Loy family there at some point, but can't remember when.

Guest meris1002

Thank you both .... i was going to the library and archives on tues but my daughters been ill, so there's 3 of us going on sat. thanks 4 the advice x

Guest meris1002

Will i find this map online or just through library and archive searches xx Need as much info as i can to submit to english heritage x

I think the pub is older than 1881, by about 50 years, check our A-Z or ask for help from a Link Fairie - they live here and are very helpful.

Will i find this map online or just through library and archive searches xx Need as much info as i can to submit to english heritage x

I only have this snippett,

The Local History Library have a huge collection of maps, I'm sure you'll find it there.

Aug 6 1879

Forestry at Wadsley Bridge.

Court 4812 held its annual festival at the house of Mrs. Hanby, Travellers Inn, Wadsley Bridge, on Saturday last when upwards of 40 members dined together.

Bro. W. Woodhead,D.C.R., afterwards presided and the report, which was read by District Secretary Bro. E. Hudson, was of an encouraging and satisfactory character.

The evening was spent in an enjoyable manner, the Wadsley Brass Band being in attendance

Dec 16 1879

Wadsley Bridge Sparrow Shooting.

On Saturday a good company attended the Travellers Inn,Wadsley Bridge, where in a field near, a sparrow shooting leger was contested, the hostess (Mrs. Hawley), added 2s 6d to an entrance of 2s 6d each to shoot at five birds each, with 1oz of shot. seven shares were taken, it resulted in J. Hill killing all his birds in good style, and winning.

Circa 1852 it's shown on the map as Old Travellers Inn.

I'm sure I found a Loy family there at some point, but can't remember when.

Is it a Loy family meris is looking for?

I spotted one today as

J Loy 1825 Brush Makers Arms , Coal Pitt Lane.

Hi meris1002, by reading the " other Sheffield site" Sheffield Forum , I get the impression you're out to stop the

demolision of the Travellers pub. I wish you well because every pub counts.

I really think that if the Traveller's that now stands were indeed built in the 1600s it would be listed.

If they do knock down the Travellers I do hope someone has the sense to retrieve the old dated fireplace

stone. Good Luck. :)

Guest meris1002

yes i am ukelele lady thank you 4 ur support but we cant let sainsbusrys know or enterprise inns !! SSHHHHHH lol

We received an email today,

Does anybody know the history of this pub

I have recently found your e-mail address via the Sheffield History website. As you may already be aware there are plans for Sainsburys to build a new store at a site adjoining Penistone Road North at Wadsley Bridge. As part of this development the Travellers public house would be knocked down. I am part of a group fighting to save "The Travs" from this fate. We are fairly certain that parts of the building date back to the 17th century and that it has been used as a public house since the mid to late 19th century, however we are urgently need of any information which may assist in saving a threatened part of Sheffield's heritage. I would, therefore, be grateful if you could forward me any information which you think may be of assistance.

Yours sincerely,

IAN BROAD

PS. apologies if anyone else has already contacted our on behalf of this campaign.

We received an email today,

Does anybody know the history of this pub

I have recently found your e-mail address via the Sheffield History website. As you may already be aware there are plans for Sainsburys to build a new store at a site adjoining Penistone Road North at Wadsley Bridge. As part of this development the Travellers public house would be knocked down. I am part of a group fighting to save "The Travs" from this fate. We are fairly certain that parts of the building date back to the 17th century and that it has been used as a public house since the mid to late 19th century, however we are urgently need of any information which may assist in saving a threatened part of Sheffield's heritage. I would, therefore, be grateful if you could forward me any information which you think may be of assistance.

Yours sincerely,

IAN BROAD

PS. apologies if anyone else has already contacted our on behalf of this campaign.

Breakfast TV this morning had an item about Sainsbury's being refused permission to extend their store on Archer Road.

Perhaps the next case against Sainsbury's in the local area will be about them being refused permission to build at Wadsley Bridge.

Breakfast TV this morning had an item about Sainsbury's being refused permission to extend their store on Archer Road.

Perhaps the next case against Sainsbury's in the local area will be about them being refused permission to build at Wadsley Bridge.

The Archer Rd store was refused planning permission on Air Pollution grounds, sure any local group in Wadsley will be following that up.

The Archer Rd store was refused planning permission on Air Pollution grounds, sure any local group in Wadsley will be following that up.

I don't know how they have managed to stop them building the extension on air pollution grounds alone.

Most of the alleged air pollution comes from customers cars which are driven to the store car park.

The proposed extension would have been into the existing car park, resulting in a bigger store but with a smaller car park.

I think its part of a plot to stop the expansion of the Sainsbury's store which has been set up by their rivals Tesco.

{Conspiracy theory}

I don't know how they have managed to stop them building the extension on air pollution grounds alone.

Most of the alleged air pollution comes from customers cars which are driven to the store car park.

The proposed extension would have been into the existing car park, resulting in a bigger store but with a smaller car park.

I think its part of a plot to stop the expansion of the Sainsbury's store which has been set up by their rivals Tesco.

{Conspiracy theory}

If I remember the plans they had on show correctly, they were going to make the car park 2 storeys to compensate for the area taken by the extension.

If I remember the plans they had on show correctly, they were going to make the car park 2 storeys to compensate for the area taken by the extension.

OK, I missed the bit about it being a 2 storey car park.

But hang on a minute,

Did anyone ever complain about air pollution caused by a large number of cars congregating in a large supermarket car park when they applied to build that nightmare monstrosity known as "MEADOWHELL" with its all surrounding multi-storey, take every vehicle within a 30 mile radius car park! :angry:

..and would it have made any difference to the outcome? <_<

{Conspiracy theory}

But Tesco have also got an expansion application under consideration, in fact at one stage the Council were going to consider the impact of the 2 plans together, so if Sainsbury's are rejected on these grounds, surely the same will apply to Tesco?

A while ago I think it was Tesco that made a big thing of transferring wine shipments onto the Manchester Ship canal as an environmental move. Adjacent to the Abbeydale Tesco and Sainsbury's there appears to be land which could accommodate a sidings to serve both , which would mean both companies could reduce or eliminate the number of huge delivery lorries restocking the stores, and more than offset any extra pollution caused by extra traffic visiting them.

But Tesco have also got an expansion application under consideration, in fact at one stage the Council were going to consider the impact of the 2 plans together, so if Sainsbury's are rejected on these grounds, surely the same will apply to Tesco?

A while ago I think it was Tesco that made a big thing of transferring wine shipments onto the Manchester Ship canal as an environmental move. Adjacent to the Abbeydale Tesco and Sainsbury's there appears to be land which could accommodate a sidings to serve both , which would mean both companies could reduce or eliminate the number of huge delivery lorries restocking the stores, and more than offset any extra pollution caused by extra traffic visiting them.

Tesco do use rail to a small extent, however this is only on a bulk distribution centre level.

To distribute to a store level would involve reverting back to wagon load basis, which ceased sometime ago on British Railways, unfortunately not feasible.

Guest littlelady77

ive nearly researched all the info we need on this one so all is in hand with a little help from a friend who has pointed me in the right direction and a bit of digging about in the fairbanks collection we should have cracked the mystery of the fireplace pretty soon , and if the last piece of the jigsaw fits then i cant wait to put the puzzle together , just need a little more information . ;-)