World Cup Quiz & Trivia

Blacky

1. Who was the only unbeaten team in the 1974 World Cup?

2. Who won the final of the 1950 World Cup?

3. Which team beat El Salvador 10-1 at the 1982 Finals?

4. Two balls were used in the 1930 Final, why?

5. Germany beat Hungary 3-2 in the 1954 final. What was the score when they met in the group stages?

Five for starters - and remeber if you google youre just cheating yourself!!!

Lee.

1. Who was the only unbeaten team in the 1974 World Cup?

2. Who won the final of the 1950 World Cup?

3. Which team beat El Salvador 10-1 at the 1982 Finals?

4. Two balls were used in the 1930 Final, why?

5. Germany beat Hungary 3-2 in the 1954 final. What was the score when they met in the group stages?

Five for starters - and remeber if you google youre just cheating yourself!!!

Lee.

Google-free answers (so some are probably wrong)

1: I think this will be Scotland

2. There was no final: the top four teams played in a group, which Uruguay won

3. Hungary

4. no idea - perhaps the two teams couldn't agree on the match ball to be used, so they used two, one in each half?

5 Hungary won 8-3

Google-free answers (so some are probably wrong)

1: I think this will be Scotland

2. There was no final: the top four teams played in a group, which Uruguay won

3. Hungary

4. no idea - perhaps the two teams couldn't agree on the match ball to be used, so they used two, one in each half?

5 Hungary won 8-3

5 out of 5! - didnt even stumble on the trick question!

your turn.........

5 out of 5! - didnt even stumble on the trick question!

your turn.........

Can't believe I got all 5! I used to know far too much about the World Cup and have clearly remembered some of it. 4 was a complete guess, and I am amazed that it was right.

I shall have to pass on setting some questions of my own, as I am away from home and computer for the next week or two dealing with a family bereavement :(

I therefore leave it to others to set the questions and it will give other forum members a chance to answer.

1 Who scored the first goal in the 1966 tournament?

2 Which country has lost the most times in the final

3 What two things were introduced at the 1970 World Cup

4 Who is the oldest player to score a goal and what was his age.

5 Who is the only player to have played in both the World Cup of cricket and Football

1 Who scored the first goal in the 1966 tournament?

4 Who is the oldest player to score a goal and what was his age.

5 Who is the only player to have played in both the World Cup of cricket and Football

Well, here goes, they are very hard and I won't do as well as Madannie and some of them will be guesses.

1. The host nation always plays the first game, don't know who they played but I seem to remember Bobby Charlton firing in a stunning left footer to open the scoring.

2. Guess - Uruguay

3. Plastic footballs and colour TV broadcast

4. He played for an African team but had an English name. I think he was 39. Roy somebody

5. World Cup of Football since 1934 . . World Cup of cricket since when ?? Recent. Probably some unknown New Zealander. Not Australian, I think I would have known. Or Englishman? Give in.

Well, here goes, they are very hard and I won't do as well as Madannie and some of them will be guesses.

1. The host nation always plays the first game, don't know who they played but I seem to remember Bobby Charlton firing in a stunning left footer to open the scoring.

OK, I'm crap at football and know sod all about it BUT the 1966 World Cup was such a big thing that it's the only one I remember any details of, - although with age I frequently get them wrong.

So, the host nation always plays the first game.

The first match in 1966 was England v Uruguay, a Group 1 match.

I remember it as been a very dull, disappointing game which ended in a 0 - 0 draw :(

So no stunning left footer from Bobby Charlton here :huh:

Doesn't answer the question, - but it wasn't England.

So far zero out of five lol but getting warm on number four

4. Roger Miller. (I meant an American name!) Think he played for Nigeria? I've given up on the rest. Where's Madannie when you need her?

4. Roger Miller. (I meant an American name!) Think he played for Nigeria? I've given up on the rest. Where's Madannie when you need her?

Roger Miller :blink:

Wasn't he a 1960's singer <_<

"King Of The Road"

"Little Green Apples"

"England Swings"

:unsure:

Roger Miller :blink:

Wasn't he a 1960's singer <_<

"King Of The Road"

"Little Green Apples"

"England Swings"

:unsure:

You're right Dave, an American singer, a 'man of means but by no means king of the road' sang about Westminster Abbey and the Tower of Big Ben, parents were West African slaves so he played for Nigeria in the World Cup, oldest player to score a goal, retired to Indianapolis in the summer time. And I didn't Google it.

You're right Dave, an American singer, a 'man of means but by no means king of the road' sang about Westminster Abbey and the Tower of Big Ben, parents were West African slaves so he played for Nigeria in the World Cup, oldest player to score a goal, retired to Indianapolis in the summer time. And I didn't Google it.

You mean it WAS the same Roger Miller who played in the World Cup that sung those songs!! :blink:

I WAS joking and I didn't think it would be the same guy.

Did the footballer Roger Miller play for Nigeria or was it the Cameroons?

I seem to remember they did well in one world cup and his name was mentioned a lot.

It ISN'T THE SAME ROGER MILLER is it.

The singer was a white American, the footballer was a coloured African guy.

Having said "Cameroons" I am now convinced it is (rather than Nigeria), I think it was the 1990 World Cup he played in (the one in which Gazza cried) and I can now picture him playing, definately black African, definately not the same Roger Miller as the singer who I also have a mental image of.

Now, as to weather Roger Miller is the oldest player to play in a World Cup and answer the original question......

well, I haven't a clue.

It ISN'T THE SAME ROGER MILLER is it.

I knew I shoulda googled it !! :angry:

So how old is Roger Miller, the Cameroon footballer?

Is he the oldest player to play in a World Cup match?

So how old is Roger Miller, the Cameroon footballer?

Is he the oldest player to play in a World Cup match?

The question was the oldest player to score a goal. We need Mickjj to put us out of our misery.

OK, I'm crap at football and know sod all about it BUT the 1966 World Cup was such a big thing that it's the only one I remember any details of, - although with age I frequently get them wrong.

I remember it as been a very dull, disappointing game which ended in a 0 - 0 draw :(

44 years later and nothing has changed much then! :angry:

44 years later and nothing has changed much then! :angry:

The game was screened live here starting at 4.30 a.m. I recorded it but haven't seen it yet, maybe I just won't bother? Lets see how Australia go, their game starts in about 3 hours time at midnight.

The game was screened live here starting at 4.30 a.m. I recorded it but haven't seen it yet, maybe I just won't bother?

Sorry THYLACINE :(

I've sort of given the score away haven't I :o

I didn't think that some people in far away places may not have seen it yet.

So before you buy a British newspaper today or tune in to a BBC World Service broadcast perhaps I should say that the fans were so disappointed with the result that at the end of the match they booed their own team off, - including Rooney who wasn't impressed.

If they don't win the next, final group match England will be out of the contest.

OK, so the first match in Group 2 which was played at Hillsborough, so I am told by a friend who remembers it, was between West Germany and Switzerland.

The match was an easy win for the Germans with plenty of goals

Final score West Germany 5 Switzerland 0

So could it have been a member of this West German team that scored the first goal in the 1966 contest?

OK I don't know the exact dates of the matches (Group 2 could have played after other groups) and, even though we played them in the final I don't know the West German team so this has got to be a guess.

Haller and Webber both scored against England in the final, but Beckenbauer was their "star player".

Could it have been one of these 3 Germans that scored the first goal in a 1966 match?

Beckenbauer perhaps ???

OK, so the first match in Group 2 which was played at Hillsborough, so I am told by a friend who remembers it, was between West Germany and Switzerland.

The match was an easy win for the Germans with plenty of goals

Final score West Germany 5 Switzerland 0

So could it have been a member of this West German team that scored the first goal in the 1966 contest?

OK I don't know the exact dates of the matches (Group 2 could have played after other groups) and, even though we played them in the final I don't know the West German team so this has got to be a guess.

Haller and Webber both scored against England in the final, but Beckenbauer was their "star player".

Could it have been one of these 3 Germans that scored the first goal in a 1966 match?

Beckenbauer perhaps ???

Dave, have you ever done a crossword puzzle, and you keep coming back to it time and time again, racking your brains trying to get those last few words and you know you're not going to do it. It happens to me a lot, my favourite is the General Knowledge crossword in the International Express. Anyway, in the end, you get so frustrated you just have to look at the darned answer. I'm feeling a bit like that now.

Dave, have you ever done a crossword puzzle, and you keep coming back to it time and time again, racking your brains trying to get those last few words and you know you're not going to do it. It happens to me a lot, my favourite is the General Knowledge crossword in the International Express. Anyway, in the end, you get so frustrated you just have to look at the darned answer. I'm feeling a bit like that now.

Me and Stuart are like that in the boozer quiz on Wednesday nights.

We never give up trying to answer a question, unless we run out of time, even if, like in this case, we haven't really got a clue.

OK other than a different spelling the answer to Question 4 Is Roger MILLA who when he scored a goal against Russia in the 1994 world cup was 42 years of age.

The answer to question 1 is Siegfried Held who scored for West Germany after sixteen minutes on the twelfth of July 1966.( one of the games I was lucky enough to attend) as some of you had deduced this was the day after England had tied with Uruguay the previous evening.

So come on lets have the answers to the other three

OK, questions 2, 3, and 5

These are guesses

2 West Germany

3 Was one of them the penalty shoot out after a first lot of extra time ?

No idea what the other one was

5 No idea, - but how many countries play football and cricket? not many!