Sheffield History

The Fiesta nightclub Sheffield

CLAY CROSS JOHN

A great list of acts but a few misssed . We also were fortunate to be entertained by:

*  Hernans Hermits

*  The Hollies

*  Charles Aznavour

* The Batchelors

* Freddie & The Dreamers

* The Four Seasons ( twice)

* Dave Allen

* Kenny Rodgers & The First Edition

* Roy Orbison

* Lovelace Watkins

• Like 1

CLAY CROSS JOHN

Hardly surprising missed one more act we saw at the Fiesta, after all week after week the acts were changed so you knew who was coming up. So missed:

* The Tremeloes

Thinking back all those years we were really blessed the Fiesta being so close to Clay Cross with the quality of the entertainment  totally exceptional . All memorable all different but for us the 3 standouts had to be Roy Orbison, The Four Tops, and Gladys Knight & The Pips. Now at the bottom of the spectrum for us the most disappointing was Gene Pitney but there again it is all relative and taste. Brenda Lee would be a close second. 

Sheffield History

I would love a definitive list of people who had appeared on the stage there

Fiona

I saw The Three Degrees there in spring summer of 1978

• Like 1

RLongden
On 05/06/2020 at 21:43, Sheffield History said:

I would love a definitive list of people who had appeared on the stage there

“.......A full listing of the artists that appeared the Fiesta Nightclub are provided in Anderson's second book entitled ‘Dirty Stop Out’s Guide to 1970s Sheffield – The Fiesta Edition’, by Neil Anderson in 2020”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiesta_Nightclub_(Sheffield)

Cheapest copy found after a quick search....

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/dirty-stop-outs-guide-to-1970s-sheffield--the-fiesta-edition/neil-anderson/paperback/9781908431509.html

Navvy
On 11/06/2020 at 18:42, Fiona said:

I saw The Three Degrees there in spring summer of 1978

I took the 3 Degrees to the Fiesta from Charter Square Grosvenor Hotel that summer. Can't remember which one forgot her handbag but I had to take her back for it (in a panic she was) I was a Black Cab Taxi driver at the time. The payment for that job was through the Town Hall on credit (I worked credit/contract hire for them at the time) the fare was less than a pound. The handbag ride came back with a tip for £2.00 in cash. And further worker after.

I did many celebreties to the Fiesta and next door (Top Rank).. Are we allowed to mention Top Rank in this subject?) Due to having the contract with the Town Hall for celebs. Hallam Towers was also the regular run to The Fiesta. I just wish I had taken more signatures/autographs. (Harry Secombe, Peter Sellars, Spike Milligan was abscent (The Goons) They were singing in the back of the cab, I was in stitches they went to The Fiesta)) Frazer Hines and his girlfriend Jenny Handly. Nooky Bear.. And many forgotten ones.

The biggest tips that came out of The Fiesta for me personally were the boxing promotions. I seem to remember a lot of TV Soap celebs going there for some reason too. Emerdale, Coranation Street and Crossroads. I used to have a problem with the soap celebs... I didn't watch them at all.. I never knew who they were and what they looked like..

• Like 1

Forgeman

On one particular occasion in the early 70's we went was with my parents and my wife's sister to see Martin St James. When he asked for volunteers to go on stage both the wife and her sister went up. Both were under his influence and did some of the ridiculous things he asked them to do. However, after a while my wife knew what she was doing some what but couldn't help herself to stop. When back at the table when a particular piece of music began playing she had to start smooching with the person next to her. Luckily it was me and not my dad! Phew. Her sister had to start belly dancing when certain music started.

Quite funny but very seventies.

• Like 1

Chris P Noodle

I saw The Three Degrees, Mari Wilson (Supremes), Alexi Sayle, Duncan Norvelle (as a support act)

and the great Martin Saint James, a wonderful stage hypnotist.

Lad from the Park

I’m sure Neil Sedaka played at the Fiesta.My wife and I went to see Tommy Cooper and while having the Chicken in a Basket He sat on the next table and was chatting with us.I can’t remember if he appeared before Tommy’s gig or followed it.

arjaydee

I saw a right mixture.   Olivia Newton John, Stan Kenton's big band but the greatest I remember were The Four Tops. Saw Joe Cocker too but he was in the audience

Forgeman

We saw the late Marti Caine. What a lovely down to earth Yorkshire lass.😀

Colinsfoot

Not long before it closed I remember going to see a prog rock group called Curved Air. I don't think they realised the type of crowd they would get in for that show. We were all legless and head banging on the tables.lol Absolutely brilliant night.