John W Howson

mick851

where would i have to look to locate a grave of one of my ancestors, the only details i have is his name John while Howson , his wife was called Mary Howson, and they lived at 24 Barrack lane sheffield in 1901, any tips would be grateful

thanks mick

where would i have to look to locate a grave of one of my ancestors, the only details i have is his name John while Howson , his wife was called Mary Howson, and they lived at 24 Barrack lane sheffield in 1901, any tips would be grateful

thanks mick

Hi Mick, do you know what age he died, I see he was 33 on the 1901 Census.

Also where he died is the next question

Strange name

John While/White

Checked original scans on Free BMD and Ancestry looks like John While, do you have the birth certificate?

1871/1881 Census seem to agree While, the copy of 1871 I can see seems a bit faint, lets see if Richard can get a better copy.

Also where he died is the next question

stuart 0742,

His middle name is while, his son, william Howson lived at 24 Barrack lane with his wife doris and their children joyce ( my nan ) and june, upto the second world war, my nan said their house was bombed (99.9% sure it was this one on Barrack lane ) As for when and where John While Howson died i couldnt say, ive seemed to have hit a wall at moment with this one. thanks for the info you have put on

thanks mick

Strange name

John While/White

Checked original scans on Free BMD and Ancestry looks like John While, do you have the birth certificate?

1871/1881 Census seem to agree While, the copy of 1871 I can see seems a bit faint, lets see if Richard can get a better copy.

stuart,

on the 1871 census, does it say who is the head of the house hold? and what address are they living at?

thanks mick

stuart 0742,

His middle name is while, his son, william Howson lived at 24 Barrack lane with his wife doris and their children joyce ( my nan ) and june, upto the second world war, my nan said their house was bombed (99.9% sure it was this one on Barrack lane ) As for when and where John While Howson died i couldnt say, ive seemed to have hit a wall at moment with this one. thanks for the info you have put on

thanks mick

If you are not sure when he died, you might have to slog through all the BMD indexes, if he was alive in WW2 that would make him 79 ish at the end. Should not be a lot to go through.

Stuart

stuart,

on the 1871 census, does it say who is the head of the house hold? and what address are they living at?

thanks mick

Mick

The copy on Ancestry is poor, I will have another look later today

Stuart

1871 Census

The entry is split across 2 pages, I read it as:

18 Florence St

Head John While 26

Wife Margaret While 26

Mother Jane Cooper While 60

Sister Sarah While 36

Nephew John While Howson 3

Anybody else improve on this.

Ancestry have transcribed While as White for all except John While Howson

Mick do you have John While Howson's Birth Cert.

Is Sarah his mother?

Who is his father?

1871 Census

18 Florence St

Head John While 26

Wife Margaret While 26

Sister Sarah While 36

Is Sarah his mother?

Who is his father?

Birth Cert index

1867 Q2 - Sheffield 9c - 412

1871 Census

18 Florence St

Head John While 26

Wife Margaret While 26

Sister Sarah While 36

Is Sarah his mother?

Who is his father?

stuart,

ive got a copy of william henry howsons marriage certificate, and it says on it under fathers name John While Howson.

ive spent a couple of hours in the sheffield archive's this morning and come across that 1871 census, were john while howson is 3 years old, turns out he was staying at his aunts house. i also came across another census for john while howsons mother,Elizabeth howson, she is lodging at a house ( the name of the road is a bit hard to make out! ) she is a machine woman, nothing upto now for his dad. i wonder if his dad was in the army, so not on the census????

stuart,

ive got a copy of william henry howsons marriage certificate, and it says on it under fathers name John While Howson.

ive spent a couple of hours in the sheffield archive's this morning and come across that 1871 census, were john while howson is 3 years old, turns out he was staying at his aunts house. i also came across another census for john while howsons mother, she is lodging at a house ( the name of the road is a bit hard to make out! ) she is a machine woman, nothing upto now for his dad

You need his Birth Cert, this hopefully will give his fathers name.

Birth Cert index

As to his death I have checked through the death indexes 1940 - 1956 no sign of him there.

Elizabeth While married John Howson JAS 1861 Sheffield Vol.9c page 331, he died June 1873 at Sheffield

huthwaite,

thanks for that info, on the 1881 census, Elizabeth Howson is down has the head of the household and just her son John While Howson who is 13, But she is still listed as married???? :unsure: the mind boggles

thanks mick

You need his Birth Cert, this hopefully will give his fathers name.

Birth Cert index

As to his death I have checked through the death indexes 1940 - 1956 no sign of him there.

the place were elizabeth howson was a lodger is wheeldon lane in 1871

the place were elizabeth howson was a lodger is wheeldon lane in 1871

John While's death is proving elusive, I have checked through 1924 - 1956 death index entries, (57 - 89 years old ) so he either died before 57yrs or lived to a ripe old age.

John While's death is proving elusive, I have checked through 1924 - 1956 death index entries, (57 - 89 years old ) so he either died before 57yrs or lived to a ripe old age.

stuart, thanks for your help,

Huthwaite has possibly found john while howson's dad. He was called john Howson, He married Elizabeth While in 1861, He died in 1873 in sheffield. I know John while Howson's son, William Henry Howson died in 1947, he is buried in crookes cemetery. but like you said John While howson is proving a bit elusive. i can remember my nan mention him a few years ago, that he used to look after horses. my nan was born in 1921 her parents were William & Doris Howson.

so upto now the info i have about the Howsons family tree is,

john Howson ( Husband ) ? Died 1873

Elizabeth Howson (wife ) (used to be While ) Died 1926

John While Howson ( son ) Died ???

then the bit ive wrote above

thanks mick.

An MI from Wardsend Cemetery:

Grave Q142

Alice WHILE died 14th October 1877 aged 2 and a half

also Jane Cooper died 17th October 1898 aged 87

also Sarah Ann died 2nd January 1899 aged 44

also John died 15th July 1899 aged 55

also Elizabeth HOWSON died 6th April 1926 aged 88

The published transcription mistakenly lists Jane as Jane COOPER (COOPER as a surname).

No sign of John HOWSON (died 1873) in these MIs or in the burial transcription.

Hugh

An MI from Wardsend Cemetery:

Grave Q142

Alice WHILE died 14th October 1877 aged 2 and a half

also Jane Cooper died 17th October 1898 aged 87

also Sarah Ann died 2nd January 1899 aged 44

also John died 15th July 1899 aged 55

also Elizabeth HOWSON died 6th April 1926 aged 88

The published transcription mistakenly lists Jane as Jane COOPER (COOPER as a surname).

No sign of John HOWSON (died 1873) in these MIs or in the burial transcription.

Hugh

thanks Hugh,

would i be able to download a plan of Wardsend cemetery of the internet, so i can find grave section Q / 142

would like to see if there's a headstone aswell?

thanks mick

1911 BARRACK LANE SHEFFIELD

HOUSHOLD HAWSON JOHN WHILE 44 1867

HOUSEHOLD HAWSON ELIZABETH F 1837 74

HOUSEHOLD HAWSON ELIZABETH F 1893 18

HOUSEHOLD HAWSON HELEN F 1896 15

HOUSEHOLD HAWSON MARY F 1868 43

hello Mick,

That MI listing *is* the transcription of a memorial, most likely a gravestone.

You can find some plans at Sheffield Indexers. Click on 'links' in the left hand menu then 'Burials, Obits, Cemeteries', followed by 'Parish & Cemetery Maps' .

There are four plans of Wardsend. You need the first two - a general plan showing you where section Q is, and a key to the numbering in most of the pre 1900 sections, including Q.

Having said that, it still won't be easy to find :unsure:

This may help a bit. If you go up the main path from the river to the railway bridge, you turn left to get to the ramp up to the bridge. Don't cross, continue straight on beside the railway fence. After a while the path will curve to the left and head downhill, back towards the river. After that curve that path forms the boundary between sections M and Q.

Although I have plot plans of a lot of sections I don't have this one. I can say that the following nearby graves have stones with these names:

Q16 HOLROYD

Q21 WATERMAN

Q66 MAWHOOD

Q45 BAGLEY

Q89 STANIFORTH

Hugh