plain talker

Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Can't see this one on the list, which seems a bit odd to me. It is on (I think) Dutton Road

1924.thumb.jpg.a1b6f1007e8f366dbffc4d06f

Am I correct on this one? "1924 Cadbury - Trebor - Bassett factory on Dutton Road, S6."

Flash Earth http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.408271&lon=-1.494335&z=18.4&r=0&src=msl

Edited by SteveHB

The old Basset's used to be  on Beulah Road , not sure where it is today

Appears to be part of the same complex.

bass.thumb.jpg.a3b0192e48f275d1aedc3aab2

I put the "I think" in as I am not completely sure what the road is actually called: Bing/Multimap has it as Dutton Road and Google Maps has it as Lofthouse Road. It looks to me like the main entrance to Bertie Bassett's factory is on Beulah Road.

There is a large fence between whatever road I was stood on when I took the picture, so perhaps as it is part of the factory and therefore on Beulah Road.

Edited by madannie77

I put the "I think" in as I am not completely sure what the road is actually called: Bing/Multimap has it as Dutton Road and Google Maps has it as Lofthouse Road. It looks to me like the main entrance to Bertie Bassett's factory is on Beulah Road.

There is a large fence between whatever road I was stood on when I took the picture, so perhaps as it is part of the factory and therefore on Beulah Road.

2015 OS map says Dutton Road, so as the date stone faces on to Dutton Road, I think we should leave it as that.

I know all the workers in the past used to say they worked at Basset's Beulah Road and when they changed shifts you could see

hundreds of these white heads [ turbans ] all coming down Beulah road. On second thoughts I should have known it was still there

because I used to point out to my grandson the giant Bertie Bassett on the wall of the building which you can see when you use

the car park of the Hillsborough Sports Leisure Centre which is to the top left of the picture.

J D Cook & Beard Homes, Argyle Close, Meersbrook. 1934.

cook_beard.thumb.jpg.e60be306d4ce160b22d5661b4418a06f_cook_beard02.thumb.jpg.81c

Here's two more:

Wadsley Hall.jpg

Burrowlee House 1.jpg

On the list of date stones in this topic Industry Place is quoted as being 1853. I would suggest, from a photo taken today, that it might be 1833:

industry place.jpg

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 21:30, madannie77 said:

On the list of date stones in this topic Industry Place is quoted as being 1853. I would suggest, from a photo taken today, that it might be 1833:

industry place.jpg

It looks like 1833 to me as well.

I can't see this one on the list:

United Methodist Church at the junction of Nether Green Road and Fulwood Road - 1912

Had to take the photos at a bit of an angle due to the position of the sun.

nether green methodists.jpgnether green methodists date.jpg

I can't believe that I had never spotted this one. I took these photos last week for another purpose and it was only when editing them that I noticed the date above the door :o

Cairns Chambers, Church Street.

i-776PbqF-X2.jpg

i-6HdcmKL-XL.jpg

I don't know if this one has already been included but I can't seem to see it on the original list although the loading system on here won't let me get to the last updated page as it keeps telling me it's loading . . . .  .  . . . .anyway this is on the corner of Fargate and Leopold Street , I'm sure viewers will remember what it use to be.

003.JPG

004.JPG

On 10/08/2018 at 15:28, ukelele lady said:

I don't know if this one has already been included but I can't seem to see it on the original list although the loading system on here won't let me get to the last updated page as it keeps telling me it's loading . . . .  .  . . . .anyway this is on the corner of Fargate and Leopold Street , I'm sure viewers will remember what it use to be.   

We do have that one on the list Mrs.UKL, but thanks for the photograph update.

Orch sq 1987.jpg

Thanks Steve

I thought it might have been done as it is in the town centre but I couldn't move the pages up, waiting forever " uploading " but it's nice to bring the topic back to the fore again.