Jump to content
Guest plain talker

Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Recommended Posts

Calvin72
11 hours ago, MartinR said:

Remember that at that period older people would still be able to recall when streets weren't paved and drained.  To us a drain cover may be utilitarian and faintly a "bit dirty", but to Victorians they were a symbol of public health and the fight against disease (hey, does that sound familiar?).  Likewise the various water and drainage boards were proud of what they had achieved in improving sanitation.

Totally agree and I love that pride and history. I was being a little tongue in cheek as pavement features are an interest of mine :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longrat

Is there a topic for dated Iron/steel work? I quite like the idea of logging the 'heads' and ' tails' (date stones and drain covers!)

Eventually I'd like to get this into Google earth (long term plan) to allow locations of dated urban artefacts to be found while out and about :)  Just think it would encourage people to see the history that this city has rather than the history it "doesn't" have [doesn't - compared to other cities - and the fact that Sheffield re-worked its historical fabric into the present fabric as it grew and developed] 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SteveHB
10 minutes ago, Longrat said:

Is there a topic for dated Iron/steel work? I quite like the idea of logging the 'heads' and ' tails' (date stones and drain covers!)

Eventually I'd like to get this into Google earth (long term plan) to allow locations of dated urban artefacts to be found while out and about :) Just think it would encourage people to see the history that this city has rather than the history it "doesn't" have [doesn't - compared to other cities - and the fact that Sheffield re-worked its historical fabric into the present fabric as it grew and developed] 

 

Why not start a topic?

Edit, there is this one, but it is maily lamps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longrat
5 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

Totally agree and I love that pride and history. I was being a little tongue in cheek as pavement features are an interest of mine :)

 

ACK!! I have MORE to go through!! eek! How do the forum mods manage!??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longrat
12 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Why not start a topic?

Edit, there is this one, but it is maily lamps.

So - this spreadsheet malarky was a GREAT idea of mine that I should have had about 20 years ago!!  :)

I've added more tabs to the sheet and I'll go through the two forum posts highlighted - THANKS FOLK (genuine, not sarcasm!) for pointing them out.  

Completely agree that people DO NOT SEE what is around them - and if they are not aware - HOW CAN THEY VALUE? :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longrat

I've created some bit shortened versions of the three pages - but wanted to check in with the forum mods that they wanted this publicising so I don't get into bother :)

bit.ly/Sheffield_datestones
bit.ly/SheffieldDRAINS
bit.ly/SheffLights

 

I was going to put a call out on social media - links direct to the forums.  LIke I said, new to this - not wanting to upset folks by hoarding all the info :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SteveHB
32 minutes ago, Longrat said:

I've created some bit shortened versions of the three pages - but wanted to check in with the forum mods that they wanted this publicising so I don't get into bother :)

 

bit.ly/Sheffield_datestones
bit.ly/SheffieldDRAINS
bit.ly/SheffLights

 

I was going to put a call out on social media - links direct to the forums.  LIke I said, new to this - not wanting to upset folks by hoarding all the info :)

 

Good, this is an open forum, so all the data on here can be viewed by anyone, you are not breaking any forum rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...