Steam on the road

DaveH

As you well know madannie the Mallard was one of those streamlined (like a duck) Pacific class locomotives which carried a variety of interesting names.

The "Sir Nigel Gressley", The "Union of South Africa" for example.

Yes, I know. It just seems ironic to me that several of the A4s were named after birds, of which several would have been more appropriate for speed than a mallard, such as peregrine, kestrel, merlin. Then again, there were herring gull, woodcock and several other ducks in the names as well.

What a machine! Completely bonkers!

To digress slightly, I am not sure that Sentinel ever built "traditional" tram engines, although alll their steam locomotives were vertical boilered and did not look much like ordinary locomotives, the first being built in 1923 (if my info is correct). A couple of their products here, and they made others which were less aesthetically appealing (such as the LNER Y1 and Y3 class).

Gasbag (8024/1929), now at the Ribble Stream Railway

No 4 (9559/1953), now at the Tanfield Railway

And as a contrast, an Aveling & Porter locomotive: (807/1872) at Buckinghamshire Railway Centre.

Have seen a couple of Aveling & Porter railway locomotives over the years. Both of them appear to be nothing more than an A&P traction engine but fitted with railway wheels.

Have seen a couple of Aveling & Porter railway locomotives over the years. Both of them appear to be nothing more than an A&P traction engine but fitted with railway wheels.

Certainly what this one looks like. Apparently it was replaced quite quickly as the top speed, reported to be 4 mph was not really quick enough!

Certainly what this one looks like. Apparently it was replaced quite quickly as the top speed, reported to be 4 mph was not really quick enough!

4mph is about right for a traction engine though lol

Now a miniature steam engine could quite easily do the 3 foot 6 inch bit, - but perhaps wouldn't have the same rolling pressure to compress the tar.

Robey's of Lincoln made some tri-tandem rollers with 3 rolls in line.

They must have been almost impossible to steer!

I'll try and find out a picture of one.

Not found a picture of a tri-tandem roller yet but I do know they were made by Robey's of Lincoln, so an educated Google search came up with this, - giving details and a few small pictures.

Tandem and Tri-tandem rollers

Guest littlemalc

Peregrine, falcon, Merlin etc names had already been nicked by Rolls Royce for their superb aero engines, but back to the subject matter, don't know if you are aware, but a chap in Whitby is operating a Sentinel steam bus, which he uses for a round trip of the town, it is actually a lorry chassis with a single deck bus body and six wheel conversion, even the brakes are steam operated, I have had a number of trips on this, a very interesting and rewarding experience.

Guest transit

Peregrine, falcon, Merlin etc names had already been nicked by Rolls Royce for their superb aero engines, but back to the subject matter, don't know if you are aware, but a chap in Whitby is operating a Sentinel steam bus, which he uses for a round trip of the town, it is actually a lorry chassis with a single deck bus body and six wheel conversion, even the brakes are steam operated, I have had a number of trips on this, a very interesting and rewarding experience.

....heres the link for more info !..... http://www.oldglory.co.uk/charabanc.htm

....heres the link for more info !..... http://www.oldglory.co.uk/charabanc.htm

This steam bus "Elizabeth seems to have been adopted by the "Old Glory" magazine as one of their mascots in recent years.

As a result the bus gets a lot of publicity and its "tours" are well known.

Previously the "Old Glory" magazine mascot was another Yorkshire steam engine based near Beverley, a Clayton & Shuttleworth agricultural traction engine which actually carried the name "Old Glory" in iy working life.