Wicker Arches - A disgrace?

dunsbyowl1867

I don't think I would have described Stuart as a "fairy"

Never seen him with wings in a short little pink dress

...and unfortunately he can't just wave a magic wand at every single problem that comes up (like redundancy :( ) to make it go away.

I don't think I would have described Stuart as a "fairy"

Never seen him with wings in a short little pink dress

...and unfortunately he can't just wave a magic wand at every single problem that comes up (like redundancy :( ) to make it go away.

Idea for calendar lol

whenever it rains heavily, in these arches the water comes pouring down our walls so yes there is definately a drainage problem :angry:

What you need is thermal clothing and lots of buckets :blink: I'll start knitting now and bring you my efforts next time I am visiting the shop!!! lol

Guest wayneybabes

What you need is thermal clothing and lots of buckets :blink: I'll start knitting now and bring you my efforts next time I am visiting the shop!!! lol

thanx auntie sue lol

May I suggest that you wear a drip dry shirt, drainpipe trousers and a pair of pumps. lol

no, that was required on 25th June 2007 lol

Remember it well, the day of the flood.

In another thread somewhere about bikes and motorbikes I have related the story of that day when, in the worst of the weather an ignorant idiot pedal cyclist totally ignoring the highway code caused my brother to come off his motorbike to save him from injury and in so doing injured himself very badly. The cyclist ignored him and pedalled off. My brother with a badly broken leg couldn't be taken to a Sheffield hospital as they were cut off by floods (Wicker and all that) and had to go to Rotherham instead (the accident was at Attercliffe). Of course it took ages to get an ambulance to him anyway because of the traffic chaos caused by the rain.

whenever it rains heavily, in these arches the water comes pouring down our walls so yes there is definately a drainage problem :angry:

wayneybabes,

I also worked for a business that one time occupied the same arch,

that was back in 1972/73 and I can't recall any problems regarding water seepage back then.

Guest wayneybabes

wayneybabes,

that was back in 1972/73 and I can't recall any problems regarding water seepage back then.

On the morning of the flood, every 15 minutes we had to mop the floor on the back wall because of the water that was coming down.

Little did we know what a pointless excercise that would turn out to be later in the day lol

Guest wayneybabes

Remember it well, the day of the flood.

In another thread somewhere about bikes and motorbikes I have related the story of that day when, in the worst of the weather an ignorant idiot pedal cyclist totally ignoring the highway code caused my brother to come off his motorbike to save him from injury and in so doing injured himself very badly. The cyclist ignored him and pedalled off. My brother with a badly broken leg couldn't be taken to a Sheffield hospital as they were cut off by floods (Wicker and all that) and had to go to Rotherham instead (the accident was at Attercliffe). Of course it took ages to get an ambulance to him anyway because of the traffic chaos caused by the rain.

Sorry to hear that. Hope he made a speedy recovery

wayneybabes,

Back in 72/73 the station had only just closed and the track would still have been receiving decent maintenance.

What we have now is years of neglect, on what is in reality a long single line siding. Until this is sorted this problem will not go away.

Guest wayneybabes

Back in 72/73 the station had only just closed and the track would still have been receiving decent maintenance.

What we have now is years of neglect, on what is in reality a long single line siding. Until this is sorted this problem will not go away.

They keep having a go at maintainence up there and it lasts a few months but it always comes back again

Sorry to hear that. Hope he made a speedy recovery

Multiple compound fractures of the left lower leg. took him months to get over it, had to have bones screwed to an external frame until it set.

Stupid ignorant cyclist that caused the accident couldn't have cared less and just rode away from his own responsibilities. Brother says if he hadn't swerved to avoid him he wouldn't have come off but would have knocked him off his bike and injured him instead. in light of what happened he sort of wished he had now.

Guest wayneybabes

They keep having a go at maintainence up there and it lasts a few months but it always comes back again

Like today for instance!. Any customers coming through the front door got a sheaf valley baths type of shower lol

I love these arches they are like a gateway to the City Centre. The main arch is MASSIVE, about the biggest I've ever seen, maybe even bigger than the arch just outside Hadfield on the same line.

Like today for instance!. Any customers coming through the front door got a sheaf valley baths type of shower lol

Bet you got the same today wayneybabes, - and the weather forcast is for rain for the rest of the week :(

Bet you got the same today wayneybabes, - and the weather forcast is for rain for the rest of the week :(

Biblical, does anyone remember where we left the plans for the Arc ? lol

40 cubits, was that the length, the height or the width ? Or was it a 40-cubit cube like the Sugar Cube ?

Need a poiny bit on a boat, methinks ;-)

Guest wayneybabes

yes, i will be constantly checking the councils cctv cams like on the day of the flood lol

Biblical, does anyone remember where we left the plans for the Arc ? lol

40 cubits, was that the length, the height or the width ? Or was it a 40-cubit cube like the Sugar Cube ?

Need a poiny bit on a boat, methinks ;-)

If you can manage to get access in a very troubled area of the world, there are those that think it should be possible to climb up mount Arrarat and take measurements from the original arc :unsure:

Guest bangtidy

Going right back to the 1st post in this topic

Here are some photos I took today of the carved detail above each of the pedestrian passageways, they highlight the quality of the detail and the terrible state the structure is in

Good Photos!

Looking up the Wicker Arches and came across this :

On the walls of the Wicker Arches are four carved stone panels, two on each side above the arches over footpaths. One shows a lion and a horse holding a shield with the Latin inscription 'sola virtus invicta'. This was the motto of the Duke of Norfolk and means 'virtue is unconquerable'.

On the Burngreave side of the same arch are a horse and a dog with the inscription 'vincit amor patria'. Vincit Amor Patria translates to "Love of Country Conquers" it is the 28th Infantry Regiment's motto. This was the coat of arms for the Earl of Yarborough who was Chair of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. All four panels date from 1839 when the arches and bridge were first built to carry railway traffic to the Victoria railway station (where the Holiday Inn now sits).

"I quit my job at the helium gas factory, I refused to be talked to in that tone of voice".

With all the construction work and 'improvements' going on in Sheffield over the past few years you would have thought some pressure could have been brought to carry out some remedial and renovation work on this once proud, and iconic, historical landmark. I assume it is an inconvenience ! Is its neglect intentional?

Well its nice to see that someone is making a effort. Cannot be easy with all that damp stone work. Photo taken 9/02/2010. W/E.

Guest wayneybabes

Well its nice to see that someone is making a effort. Cannot be easy with all that damp stone work. Photo taken 9/02/2010. W/E.

you should have called in our trophy centre for a coffee lol